Eric is Anxious

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

3 hours ago, YM! said:

Yeah the bare minimum is like 150m domestic/400m worldwide for Elemental to keep Wish safe from Trolls 3 and Elio from KFP4. Anything lesser, and the non-sequels stuff and more riskier sequels will get regularly bullied by tentpoles in their spots.

Elio might be an even bigger risk than Elemental considering its release date and its subject matter. 

Elio's range probably depends in part on how Elemental does. Its broad synopsis seems pretty mainstream-friendly but I have a hunch the details may end up being somewhat less so.

I think it's interesting that Elemental is being screened at an LGBT-themed film festival in San Francisco next month, though I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Elio's range probably depends in part on how Elemental does. Its broad synopsis seems pretty mainstream-friendly but I have a hunch the details may end up being somewhat less so.

I think it's interesting that Elemental is being screened at an LGBT-themed film festival in San Francisco next month, though I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet.

It's risky because animated sci-fi is almost always box office poison. 

7 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Wall-e is a sci-fi animated movie... It made 500 million worldwide.

Wall-E is one of the few notable exceptions. But even then, the $521M it made was less than Ratatouille ($624M) and Up ($735M).

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Disney is already stepping up on marketing front for sure. 

G7WSIz.jpg

This is pretty good tbh. They should also try to muscle in a fan screening in the next few weeks before OW. Let WOM spread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YM! said:

This is pretty good tbh. They should also try to muscle in a fan screening in the next few weeks before OW. Let WOM spread.

They're also doing a promotional tour of the film's setting.

Regardless of how it turns out, it seems like Disney is doing their best not to have another Strange World on their hands.

It'll probably be mostly British/French reactions but I know a few RT critics are gonna be there. You can be certain Screen Daily will have a review out as they cover all of Cannes. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I think if they had led with promo like this (or more of it at least), there wouldn't already be so many people brushing it off as "Oh, star crossed lovers" or "I've seen this before in Zootopia".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I think if they had led with promo like this (or more of it at least), there wouldn't already be so many people brushing it off as "Oh, star crossed lovers" or "I've seen this before in Zootopia".

I think they're betting on that being a surprise.