Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

I’m not generally one of those “THIS SHOULD NEVER GET REMADE OR GET A SEQUEL”. Movies aren’t these sacred relics and there’s far worse things our capitalist hellscape has done compared to a crappy sequel. But like…man, I will honestly give up on Hollywood forever if they make an E.T. sequel. It’s too pure and too good to have some garbage nostalgia cashgrab follow up next to it.

• Like 2

I didn't say any of those concepts would make good films, just a producers view looking for potential cash grab brand resurrection.

BIG 2 could definitely work, as could HONEY I SHRUNK THE GRAND KIDS only if Moranis returned. The others would require some true creative minds to make the films half decent.

It isn't the 80s, but I still think AUSTIN POWERS 4 could not only make some money, but if they paired well as modern social commentary of the ultra left & right wings, it could be a solid flick. 

Edited by excel1

The reason why Top Gun: Maverick works as a sequel 36 years later is pretty simple and straight forward.....

- Advances in aviation and filming technology allowed this movie to happen in a thrilling and interesting way.  It is beautifully shot with minimal CGI and the hook of all the actors actually flying in F-18's is incredible.  

- Tom Cruise, despite being 56 years old when this movie filmed, is still in fantastic shape and is completely believable in the role.

- The story is simple with some nostalgia, but fresh enough to attract all audiences.    

The issue with nearly every other sequel from the 80's that people are thinking of is that you can't really bring the original cast back in a meaningful way.  They are either too old or too fat to be pleasing to the eye and entertaining on screen. 

I am on record as really enjoying Ghostbusters: Afterlife, but that was because of the kids and new cast.  All of the stuff with the old guys minus Ernie Hudson was painful to watch and could have done the movie completely without them and would have been a better movie.  

It's awful to say, but as much as the concept of Back to the Future might work, doing an actual sequel with Christopher Lloyd (nearly a corapse) and Michael J. Fox (ravaged by disease) is never going to happen.  Val Kilmer only works in Top Gun: Maverick because they use him realistically.  

I thought a Goonies sequel would have worked 15 years ago, but now it is too late.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I’m not generally one of those “THIS SHOULD NEVER GET REMADE OR GET A SEQUEL”. Movies aren’t these sacred relics and there’s far worse things our capitalist hellscape has done compared to a crappy sequel. But like…man, I will honestly give up on Hollywood forever if they make an E.T. sequel. It’s too pure and too good to have some garbage nostalgia cashgrab follow up next to it.

IDK about E.T. 2 but easy to envision a similarly themed film of a lonely child needing a friend with today's social media infused climate having relevancy. 

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I didn't say any of those concepts would make good films, just a producers view looking for potential cash grab brand resurrection.

BIG 2 could definitely work, as could HONEY I SHRUNK THE GRAND KIDS only if Moranis returned. The others would require some true creative minds to make the films half decent.

It isn't the 80s, but I still think AUSTIN POWERS 4 could not only make some money, but if they paired well as modern social commentary of the ultra left & right wings, it could be a solid flick. 

Honey I Shrunk The Kids already has a sequel that is going on Disney+ at some point (if they in fact moved forward with it) that has Moranis and Josh Gad.  

Austin Powers 4 can't work unless Mike Myers loses 40 pounds and finds a time machine.  

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

IDK about E.T. 2 but easy to envision a similarly themed film of a lonely child needing a friend with today's social media infused climate having relevancy. 

Cool beans. I still don’t want this garbage in my face

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't think anyone can be even remotely shocked Top Gun's audience is predominately white and older lol. The original was unquestionably a product of a time when everyone who wasn't white was basically considered a second-class citizen.

the beauty of our weapons will bring America together, thanks Tom Cruise for doing the needful

57 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If this hits 450m, I wonder if we'll see a flood of movies specifically targeting the older white crowd.

During the IP Era that demographic seems underserved.

Or will they treat TGM like the exception and lightning in a bottle and think it's success can't easily be replicated.

You might be on to something here, older white crowds are the most likely to think COVID is a hoax or no big deal.  Time to start pandering.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Throat 2: Throat Deeper

2 Throats, 2 Deep

Edited by Ozymandias

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

There is definitely some potent untapped financial potential for nostalgia of early-mid 2000s  as younger millennial come of age. The McGuire boost to NWH is a solid testament to this, IMO. 

A fellow movie buff friend pitched the idea of having "Legally Blonde 3" serve as an unabashed throwback to the era that directly preceded social media and fill it a combination of the failed "next big stars" from that time ala Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, Freddie Prinze Jr, Julia Stiles, etc.  

Edited by excel1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Austin Powers 4 can't work unless Mike Myers loses 40 pounds and finds a time machine.  

Hollywood could def. make it work. Or have the film showcase an aging Powers coming to terms with the end of his prime. 

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

There is definitely some potent untapped financial potential for nostalgia of early-mid 2000s  as younger millennial come of age. The McGuire boost to NWH is a solid testament to this, IMO. 

A fellow movie buff friend pitched a the idea of having "Legally Blonde 3" an unabashed throwback to the era that directly preceded social media and fill it a combination of the failed "next big stars" from that time ala Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, Freddie Prinze Jr, Julia Stiles, etc. 

Legally Blonde 3 has been in active development for 5 years now. Reese announced it in a video on 2018 with a 2019 release date and the most recent date given to it was actually May 20, 2022. It's not had any movement in a while, feels like it stalled for some reason.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Legally Blonde 3 has been in active development for 5 years now. Reese announced it in a video on 2018 with a 2019 release date and the most recent date given to it was actually May 20, 2022. It's not had any movement in a while, feels like it stalled for some reason.

Austin Powers 4 or Legally Blonde 3 both have the potential to serve as hilarious yet interesting social critiques of pop culture in 2022 that could also make a fair bit of money.