Eric S'ennui

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

6 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Most of the movies on that list are just BIG movies. TFA's performance wasn't exactly shocking. People knew it was gonna open big and have good legs for being in the winter.

Well there is the case of Shrek. It opened well for its time but nobody considered it a shocking movie until that eye-popping performance in its second weekend that helped it reach a multiplier north of 6. That was certainly shocking.

26 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Loving how Maverick breakout is getting forum members who don't post much come and share their experiences in this thread. :hi5:

Definitely got me to post for the first time in forever. 

• Like 1

Demo breakdowns by Deadline.  @EmpireCity

Sequels to legacy movies work, even if they’re 36 years old, and audiences had been wanting to see the further aerial adventures of Capt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell. And old people are going with 45% over 45, 21% over 55. Male to female ratio continues to be at 57% to 43%. Also a majority of the audience was over 25 at 87%. Diversity demos were 60% Caucasian, 15% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, & 13% Asian/other.

As we told you before, the pic is playing across the country with the top 15 theaters being San Antonio, Nashville, Knoxville, Oklahoma City, three theaters in Salt Lake City, Denver and Dallas. It’s like we haven’t seen a movie speak to the heartland like this since Clint Eastwood’s American Sniper. While Hollywood doesn’t like to appeal to Red States, there is definitely an underserved marketplace for that audience and military movies such as Top Gun 2. Only four of the sequel’s top cinemas were from LA and one from NYC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, T-ReXXR said:

If those demographics don't expand outward and younger with WOM, then legs won't be nearly as amazing as some here are predicting. 

yeah that's one concern but WoM should bring others. Even am excited to see how sequel to such eh movie (I watched it first time this week) is getting this sort of reception.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

If those demographics don't expand outward and younger with WOM, then legs won't be nearly as amazing as some here are predicting. 

I appreciate your new name a lot.

It is also possible the fan rush factor is more intense with White demo, and people of colour and younger crowd are riding on WOM later. 

I don't think anyone can be even remotely shocked Top Gun's audience is predominately white and older lol. The original was unquestionably a product of a time when everyone who wasn't white was basically considered a second-class citizen.

I can deal with 400M instead of 500M 

But yeah, hopefully it will expand with the WOM.

• Like 2