Eric is Quiet

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Transformers 1-3 was a close call for me if i include it or not since yeah you could name it the "original Transformers trilogy" but the series just continued afterwards and ive not seen anyone ever call the first 3 a kind of separate trilogy. But since you could argue similarly with the first 3 POTC movies (though i would personally disagree since that is clearly the Gore Verbinski Pirates trilogy), the numbers would be 2,668B.

So if you want to count first 3 TF's as a trilogy, it would be #6 currently, soon to be #7.

I’m not sure @Brainbug the Dinosaur

i think you include it as Transformers Age of Extinction onwards felt like a shift in the same way Pirates: OST did. It lost Shia and went all in on Wahlberg. 

I see the first three Transformers as their own trilogy personally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Brainbug the Dinosaur Have to correct your list. #5 is Avatar with $2,847,397,339. I know that it's been just 1 movie so far, but it is a franchise cause sequels have been in the works for years, so it should be on the list. It's also very likely going to knock Home franchise off #2 when Way of the Water comes out. 

Nah i only counted trilogys that have had all their 3 movies released which is why i didnt put JW on the list yet as well.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Haha. Yeah... It's actually maybe the best comp in many ways as the films were received similarly by critics but fully critic proof and mega grossers DOM and OS.

The last third of Dominion definitely brought back memories of how I felt watching the last acts of so many of those Transformers movies. 

49 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

If people wanna cheer for that that’s their prerogative,

Between the og cast and finally delivering on dinos in world hook, there was a broad consensus on these boards (and other credible tracking models) before pre-sales that this should  increase from FK in admits and certainly in gross.

People continued to hope/expect that even after underwhelming PS start and well into underwhelming PS middle.

No one is cheering for that, we think it is Poor, even if it manages 150+, it'll still be poor, and if it somehow squeak through 400 million, it'll still remain poor.

Also people hoping is not a bad thing, if not hope what people are supposed to do exactly.

And still it's 2 vs 1, Dominion went wrong, but we have 2 Jurassic Movies which went right after People who read Data and do analysis had spelled doom on it. So there's nothing wrong in people expecting a repeat, it didn't happen this time is another thing entirely. But we must never loose hope.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nah i only counted trilogys that have had all their 3 movies released which is why i didnt put JW on the list yet as well.

Oh sorry, I missed it was about trilogies. Well then, Avatar trilogy will be #1 in a few years! :Gaga:

Good job!

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Haha. Yeah... It's actually maybe the best comp in many ways as the films were received similarly by critics but fully critic proof and mega grossers DOM and OS.

Seriously TF might actually be the first critic proof franchise ever lol. Is there any other franchise out there can make 838m, 1,123m, 1,104m with 20%, 35% and 17% critics score?

Edited by EmeraldWitch
  • Like 1

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Hopefully we will have brainstorming sessions that will go for days to think What Went Wrong, How It Went Wrong.

I'm sure many sensible takes will be put ahead. 

about what? BOM misfiring the audience score? It's simple. People love dinos. Dinos are critics-proof. Dinos are social media critics-proof. Some franchises you can gauge from online feedback, some you can't. This is one of them. I suspect Avatar will be another. 

1 minute ago, EmeraldWitch said:

Seriously TF might actually be the first critic proof franchise ever lol. Is their any other franchise out there can make 838m, 1,123m, 1,104m with 20%, 35% and 17% critics score?

It was critics proof because it delivered what audience wanted in spades..... Tons of Robots smashing into each other.

Plus Age of Extinction blew up in China really well, i don't know how much DOTM did.

Jurassic World Dominion would've been critic proof too had it actually delivered on its premise,even if in that case critics ratings were 20-25%

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

about what? BOM misfiring the audience score? 

No, about Dominon misfiring.

As the comment above said, going down from Fallen Kingdom in admits would've been poor but still could've been acceptable had it not been a big decrease, but going down from Fallen Kingdom in Gross even is atrocious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

No one is cheering for that, we think it is Poor, even if it manages 150+, it'll still be poor, and if it somehow squeak through 400 million, it'll still remain poor.

Let’s just say I wish all members were as clear eyed about it 😆   

There are some people the last few pages who seem ready to take A- and 140s as some triumph, my comment was pushing back against that.

• Like 1

Just now, Legion and Thunder said:

There are some people the last few pages who seem ready to take A- and 140s as some triumph, my comment was pushing back against that.

First thing First, I still can't believe it got A- though lol. 

BTW about triumph, it's not triumph, we just don't want it to sink further so we are clinging at any optimistic sign 😅😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

I see it less of a triumph and more like crisis averted.

Opening similarly to Fallen Kingdom while yes, imo its a disppointment since there were so many things going for it opening higher, its also not a disaster. Im personally just happy that it doesmt seem to collapse which i feared in the last few days.

• Like 3

Really hoping to somehow get 5 movies to 400M+ during the summer blockbuster season. Strange and Maverick are locked. Jurassic World is a great candidate to get to 400M DOM. Lightyear and/or Minions are unlikely but maybe if one of the two breaks out... Lightyear being more likely. Then, of course, Thor has a great chance at and I think should do 400M... But, like Strange and Jurassic, could be close for Thor.

• Like 1

DS2 and JWD will pass 400M

TGM will pass 500M

Thor will pass 400M with a chance for 500M depending on WOM and competition (if it doesn't lose premium screens which we saw hit TGM pretty hard thus making 600M iffy which didn't look so on Wednesday)

• Like 2