IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Deadpool&Wolverine #1

August numbers are now complete, and in Austria, the weakest July since god-knows-when was followed by a rather strong August - the 3rd biggest of the last 10 years, helped by one of the rainiest summers in history. 2006 and 2010 were stronger though.

While in Germany they're still waiting for at least a single 2014 blockbuster ("Golden Screen", awarded for 3mil admissions), in Austria we're now at 3 "Golden Tickets" (WoWS, Rio2, HTTYD2) awarded for at least 300k admissions. Since Germany has nearly exactly 10x the inhabitants of Austria, that seems a fair comparison, but for whatever reasons, Austrians watch a bit more movies than their northern neighbours, so the GT is easier to reach than the GS.

btw, those 3mil resp. 300k are really a low treshold; in my opinion a movie should at least double those numbers to call itself blockbuster. So not only do we suffer a rather bad year at the BO, but there's also no outstanding success stories. The only thing positive about this year, at least in Germany, is the high market share for domestic productions - which does not translate to higher grosses, but results from the lower grosses from foreign productions (mostly Hollywood).

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2

Well Austria doesn't have a poorer region like Germany has. Since my stepfather is from Munich but comes from Meisen in east Germany I can tell you the difference between those 2 regions is night and day. I'd say some parts of post DDR areas are poorer than west Poland so they may be dragging the numbers down.

As for lower foreign grosses - Pixels and FF7 as well as Jupiter Ascending and a few others were shifted do 2015. It may explain the drop in most countries with a stailized box office market.

Well Austria doesn't have a poorer region like Germany has. Since my stepfather is from Munich but comes from Meisen in east Germany I can tell you the difference between those 2 regions is night and day. I'd say some parts of post DDR areas are poorer than west Poland so they may be dragging the numbers down.

As for lower foreign grosses - Pixels and FF7 as well as Jupiter Ascending and a few others were shifted do 2015. It may explain the drop in most countries with a stailized box office market.

I think you are right about different buying power regions...

And there was the soccer championship too, and....  but if you look into ticket numbers more focused you might see that there is a longer lasting decline in general in a lot of countries, but also an increase in countries like China....

Age of it's inhabitants of a region, how good is the Internet access, are people of a region even interested in the same quota into Internet based information,... possibilities like VOD, better home cinema equipment for an affordable price,... illegal downloads,..... a lot plays into it

I think you are right about different buying power regions...

And there was the soccer championship too, and....  but if you look into ticket numbers more focused you might see that there is a longer lasting decline in general in a lot of countries, but also an increase in countries like China....

Age of it's inhabitants of a region, how good is the Internet access, are people of a region even interested in the same quota into Internet based information,... possibilities like VOD, better home cinema equipment for an affordable price,... illegal downloads,..... a lot plays into it

Are the ticket prices raising like in Poland? Because the average price here has gotten to really stupid levels. It really shows if you know the ticket sales on promo days in big chains vs regular days. People here are still willing to come but they can't afford a 8$+ ticket on a country where our average income is 1/4th of the German one. 

As for soccer champioship I think the distributors just planned around it like it happened in Poland with the Euro. The overal year to year was similar to previous year (or maybe even slightly better) in 2012.

• Like 1

Yep - they planned around the World Cup - but still some impact since those movies they shuffled to other release dates then had more competition on those weekends. But you're right - in the overall numbers for the whole years you don't see the World Cup effect (or Euro effect, it's nearly as strong) as much as in the raw numbers for 2nd quarter.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Are the ticket prices raising like in Poland? Because the average price here has gotten to really stupid levels. It really shows if you know the ticket sales on promo days in big chains vs regular days. People here are still willing to come but they can't afford a 8$+ ticket on a country where our average income is 1/4th of the German one. 

As for soccer champioship I think the distributors just planned around it like it happened in Poland with the Euro. The overal year to year was similar to previous year (or maybe even slightly better) in 2012.

In South Korea as an example the ticket prices fell => beside increased numbers in ticket sold (2D and 3D), some movies / part 2... looked like to be less successful

I didn't pay more here in my 'normal' cinema this year than last year or so. I do not know about IMAX, as I just was for the 1st time in one (and THAT is expensive in comparison to my middle sized country-side cinema, as in ~ double the prize)

Yep, they worked around, but they couldn't close it down for business at that time, so the cinemas had to suffer considerably more during that time.

First weekend trend for Germany:

#1: GotG - 325k admissions (-30%, ok drop but 2mil total seem out of play now)

#2: Hercules - 225k (good number, the release is not that wide)

#3: QecqoafaBD - 180k (-20%)

#4: Doktorspiele - 150k (-30%)

#5: Deliver us from Evil - 125k (very good for the limited release)

#6: Lucy - 110k (-40%, running out of steam but good run)

• Like 1

Germany + Austria Top 13  Aug 28 - 31

TW LW Movie Studio Weekend Change Gross Week 1 N Guardians of the Galaxy Disney $ 7.531.510 - 8.001.116 1 2 3 Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu? Neue/Filmladen $ 2.438.445 -10,3 21.453.172 6 3 N Doktorspiele Fox $ 2.203.195 - 2.225.733 1 4 1 Lucy UPI $ 2.185.657 -36,7 15.068.185 3 5 2 Expendables 3 Splendid/Fox $ 1.639.442 -51,0 6.583.805 2 6 5 How to Train Your Dragon 2 Fox $ 1.118.420 -20,5 27.244.982 6 7 4 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $ 998.304 -51,9 18.929.556 4 8 7 The Hundred-Foot Journey Constantin $ 770.237 -21,3 2.539.949 2 9 9 Planes 2 Disney $ 696.111 -20,3 4.540.463 3 10 N Begin Again StudioCanal/Const. $ 652.857 - 1.010.255 1 11 6 22 Jump Street Sony $ 623.264 -42,7 16.504.427 5 12 8 Step Up All In Constantin $ 528.065 -44,9 9.061.048 4 13 10 Saphirblau Concorde/Const. $ 453.332 -37,6 4.138.338 3

Very good for all openers, and of course beautiful hold again for QecqoafaBD.

With Hercules as this weekend's biggest opener (and not even really wide) GotG will stay on top, but maybe Herc can come in 2nd. Not a very interesting weekend coming up I'm afraid; the most interesting numbers will be the holds for this week's Top3 and HTTYD2.

Austria + Germany 2014 totals until (and including) last weekend:

1. Transformers 4 - 41.948.554mil US$

2. WolfofWallStreet - 34.495.624

3. HTTYD 2 - 27.244.982

4. Vaterfreuden - 27.088.817

5. QecqoafaBD - 21.453.172

(fat: still in release - but T4 made only 240k this weekend, so not much gas left in that tank)

So The Hobbit is locked to win the year, but there is any chance of anything overtaking Transformers as No. 2 (I see the last Madagascar din almost 40M in Germany)?

Edited by James

first trend for the weekend:

#1: Sex Tape - 350k admissions (inc. previews)

#2: GotG - 200k (-25%)

#3: Biene Maja - in GotG range but including previews

#4: QecqoafaBD - 175k (+15%)

#5: Hercules - 120k (-40%)

If that increase holds for QecqoafaBD then 3mil admissions suddenly look good again!

• Like 2