IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Inside Out 2 #1 with best 2024 OW

I see the distinct possibility of missing Intouchables. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but neither is The Hobbit as epic in scope as LotR nor will there be as many rewatches. With €2,50 or more for the 3D experience, families will think twice about how often they'll want to visit Middle-Earth.

The only way The Hobbit can top Intouchables (in my opinion) is: It has to deliver the goods and it has to have a sizeable 2D screen share, especially in its later run.

Of course, I'm talking about admissions here. Dollar-wise, The Hobbit should win the year in Germany. In Austria, IA4 numbers (nearly a million admissions) will be hard to beat but we'll see.

I see the distinct possibility of missing Intouchables. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but neither is The Hobbit as epic in scope as LotR nor will there be as many rewatches. With €2,50 or more for the 3D experience, families will think twice about how often they'll want to visit Middle-Earth.

That's why it'll drop to about Intouchables levels. ;)Fellowship wasn't as epic either as the rest of them and got the most admissions.Okay, i'll drop the disappointment threshold to bellow 7 million. Don't wanna be too greedy, do we? ;) Edited by Elessar

LOTR was also released at the height of movie going in Germany (excepting before the 1960's obviously).

Can you provide some statistics here? What was the total viewership in the years 2001-2003, what is it now (2011)? I wanna see some numbers, not just words. Edited by Elessar

The way i see it, 2001 and to a slightly smaller extent 2002 were the two outliers. As Rudolf suggested, it's not due people just wanting to spent more time in theaters for random reasons but LOTR, HP and Bulli. The most recent spike was in 2009, the year of Avatar. True, admissions in the last 7 years (except 2009) are down compared to the 7 years prior on average by about 15% but again, it could be just that the right movies weren't around, Bulli and HP lost their luster, no LOTR around.

The way i see it, 2001 and to a slightly smaller extent 2002 were the two outliers. As Rudolf suggested, it's not due people just wanting to spent more time in theaters for random reasons but LOTR, HP and Bulli. The most recent spike was in 2009, the year of Avatar. True, admissions in the last 7 years (except 2009) are down compared to the 7 years prior on average by about 15% but again, it could be just that the right movies weren't around, Bulli and HP lost their luster, no LOTR around.

Avatar didn't do that much for 2009, 3.4m, and if you take it out, that year is still over 140m tickets. It sold 7.9m tickets in 2010, and that year was well under 2009 at 126.6m.While 2001 and 2002 may be outliers, but these days 2009 is the outlier, getting over 140m was quite regular up until 2005. Since then, it's only been over once. Edited by lab276

I'm also of the opinion the strong 2001 year was a "freak" year same as 2009 - keep in mind that "Fellowship" was only nr.2 and there were 3 films with more than 10 million admission. So, 3 of Germany's Top 8 films since 1968 are from 2001. It really depends on the films I think, otherwise business has been comparatively stable over the last 20 years. The somewhat lower admissions in the last years may be explained by 3D which sells less seats at a higher fee so in the end, business is even up a bit.