Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

I feel like WOWS is my favorite Di Caprio performance because, for once, he's not trying to go method in it (and is also discovering his amazing physical comedy skillz). I agree with people who say they rarely, if ever see him fully disappearing into a character, but that's not inherently wrong (you can say the same thing about most iconic actors of the '30s and '40s, or, say, Nic Cage), and in Wolf he actually seems aware of that, knowing that we've come to watch him and putting on a grand show both as Leo Di Caprio and as Jordan Belfort. And because the performance is so outsized and fourth-wall-breaking, that kind of blend actually makes it more effective, pulling us closer both in comedic moments ("wow, when's the last time Leo Di Caprio was so much fun?") and in dramatic ones ("did you just fucking see Leo Di Caprio punch a woman in the stomach?"). I don't know if that makes much sense but that's what I arrived at when I started thinking about why I love him in that movie so much even though I never forget I'm watching him. 

I just think he gets a lot of flak for being a-lister from a very young age. Same thing happened to Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Pretty much for the first 20 years of their careers they had to face arguments like "he's just playing tom cruise", "he's just handsome", "he doesn't dissapear into the character" and so on. By the time he's 50 everyone will agree that he always was a great actor. 

Let us all not forget probably the most important thing: he just stars in the greatest line of movies possible. :)

You won't see a serious actor lend his face to a fucking Marvel superhero. That shit is for losers.

Or his voice to a Minion movie  :ph34r:

stupid question but will this movie get golden globe nominations since this comes out on 25th and nominations are usually one 10-13 for golden globes and i doubt this will be shown at any festivals so how exactly does awards work? do studios send movies to the golden globe commitee or do they see it and decide and since they are golden globe commitee members , do they get to see it early?

stupid question but will this movie get golden globe nominations since this comes out on 25th and nominations are usually one 10-13 for golden globes and i doubt this will be shown at any festivals so how exactly does awards work? do studios send movies to the golden globe commitee or do they see it and decide and since they are golden globe commitee members , do they get to see it early?

Screeners are sent to the Globes and all the guilds mid Novemeber to December.

If it isn't finished in time (Selma and WOWs) then they aren't nominated and it goes on to effect the rest of their Award's season. Just look at Selma last year which for a measly Best Pic and Best Song nod because the film didn't screen for a single guild IIRC.

The Globes deadline isn't the soonest and it certainly isn't the most import. DGA, PGA, SAG and Editing are super important and with this film being behind schedule it is sort of concerning that it might not screen in time and maybe miss the Oscars all together.

BUT, as far as we know post-production could be going lightening fast and we may even see it premiere at American Film Institute Festical in LA in Novemeber. But many are expecting some sort of combination of By The Sea, The Hateful Eight and Joy since they'll likely wrap up earlier.

Screeners are sent to the Globes and all the guilds mid Novemeber to December.

If it isn't finished in time (Selma and WOWs) then they aren't nominated and it goes on to effect the rest of their Award's season. Just look at Selma last year which for a measly Best Pic and Best Song nod because the film didn't screen for a single guild IIRC.

The Globes deadline isn't the soonest and it certainly isn't the most import. DGA, PGA, SAG and Editing are super important and with this film being behind schedule it is sort of concerning that it might not screen in time and maybe miss the Oscars all together.

BUT, as far as we know post-production could be going lightening fast and we may even see it premiere at American Film Institute Festical in LA in Novemeber. But many are expecting some sort of combination of By The Sea, The Hateful Eight and Joy since they'll likely wrap up earlier.

but wows got best actor. how so

but wows got best actor. how so

Because it is Leonardo Dicaprio. David Oyelowo would have had a great chance last year if SAG saw his film. He is the kind of actor who needs the attention from the earlier awards to be considered.

Leo and Scorsese don't need that. Whatever the put on film the academy bites at. The same could be true this year, but Innarutu's win last year might hurt more than help.

The Academy has no problem rewarding Scorsese and Dicaprio without the predecessors picking them up. Avu DeVurney and David Oyelowo don't have the same fame, clout and reputation which ended up with a fuckover on their part.

Because it is Leonardo Dicaprio. David Oyelowo would have had a great chance last year if SAG saw his film. He is the kind of actor who needs the attention from the earlier awards to be considered.

Leo and Scorsese don't need that. Whatever the put on film the academy bites at. The same could be true this year, but Innarutu's win last year might hurt more than help.

The Academy has no problem rewarding Scorsese and Dicaprio without the predecessors picking them up. Avu DeVurney and David Oyelowo don't have the same fame, clout and reputation which ended up with a fuckover on their part.

so leo and innaturu will most likely get nominations if the movie is finished by November/early december

so leo and innaturu will most likely get nominations if the movie is finished by November/early december

I would put money on this being Top 5 best picture nominee. Inarritu has a great chance for a direction nod, despite no director ever getting nominated the year after a win. Leo has a pretty good chance of a Best Actor nod because it is a weak year.

I don't think this film is quite up the academy's wheelhouse, but if it is as good as Birdman it should be undeniable.

I would put money on this being Top 5 best picture nominee. Inarritu has a great chance for a direction nod, despite no director ever getting nominated the year after a win. Leo has a pretty good chance of a Best Actor nod because it is a weak year.

I don't think this film is quite up the academy's wheelhouse, but if it is as good as Birdman it should be undeniable.

I hope it's better than Birdman.

Birdman is a movie that's incredibly well acted, written, and damn...the direction...

But God dammit I didn't care for it cause at the end of the day, it's about a bunch of self absorbed narcissists.

I prefer man versus bear.

• Like 1

I hope it's better than Birdman.

Birdman is a movie that's incredibly well acted, written, and damn...the direction...

But God dammit I didn't care for it cause at the end of the day, it's about a bunch of self absorbed narcissists.

I prefer man versus bear.

based on the trailer , this movie will be 100x better than birdman , birdman had amazing everything but just wont be as entertaining as this movie

i still think jake and david should've replaced bradley and steve at the oscars last year

The only two who stood out were Redmayne and Keaton. I'd maybe keep Carrell in, but boot Cumberbatch and Cooper for some combination of Fiennes, Gyllenhaal and Oyelowo.

I'm apprehensive in seeing this film's commercial appeal. It may be a revenge/survival story starring DiCaprio but it is a Inarritu film and Lubezki is DP. It could come out quite esoteric and Oscar bait-y. I hope it isn't, since Inarritu won last year and it isn't what his filmography needs, but we'll see.