Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

On 21/02/2017 at 4:25 AM, Fullbuster said:

Not necessarily. Fifty Darker benefit from Valentine's day last Tuesday so people who saw it that day didn't have to watch it last weekend.

Moana / My Mom is a Character 2 have been quite leggy this year, and Finding Dory was incredible last summer.

As people already said, our VD is in June. And I've been noitcing this since last year, movies are dying fast these days in Brazil. Look at Passengers, it had shit legs, especially when we compare to The Martian, and Passengers had school vacations. Resident Evil 6 was also way more front loaded than the last one, and the list goes on.

I watched three movies today:

Lego Batman: B+

50S2: C+

A Cure For The Welness: C-

@Napoleon Have you heard about that aberration called: "Internet: O Filme"? I wanted to throw up everythime that they played this piece of shit, I can't believe that our cinema managed to do something worse than "É Fada", this disgrace can not even be considered a movie, it would be offensive, I just want to see it crashing and burning in the hell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

As people already said, our VD is in June. And I've been noitcing this since last year, movies are dying fast these days in Brazil. Look at Passengers, it had shit legs, especially when we compare to The Martian, and Passengers had school vacations. Resident Evil 6 was also way more front loaded than the last one, and the list goes on.

That's possible indeed, maybe because of more movies and diversifying tastes?

At least the advantage is that opening weekend records are more likely to fall, giving the Brazilian market more attention from BO followers, helped by the improving exchange rate. :)

• Like 1

BRAZIL : WEEKENDS 2017 VS WEEKENDS 2016 (US DOLLARS)

By adding weekend numbers (no weekday gross available, but they're weak compared with weekends) it is easy to know if January 2017 was bigger than January 2016. These are the numbers :

GROSS OF THE BRAZILIAN MOVIE MARKET IN JANUARY 2017 : $54.1m

GROSS OF THE BRAZILIAN MOVIE MARKET IN JANUARY 2016 : $35.1m

January 2017 advantage : +$19m (+54%)

January 2017 was much bigger than January 2016, 2017 started extremely well, helped by a better exchange rate for sure.

• Like 1

BRAZIL : WEEKENDS 2017 VS WEEKENDS 2016 (LOCAL CURRENCY)

By adding weekend numbers (no weekday gross available, but they're weak compared with weekends) it is easy to know if January 2017 was bigger than January 2016. These are the numbers :

GROSS OF THE BRAZILIAN MOVIE MARKET IN JANUARY 2017 : $172.5m

GROSS OF THE BRAZILIAN MOVIE MARKET IN JANUARY 2016 : $139.8m

January 2017 advantage : +R$32.7m (+23.3%)

Yes, the growth is smaller in local currency than in USD because the exchange rate considerably improved in favor of the Brazilian Real, helping a lot the BO in USD. Still, the number in local currency is impressive, +23% is obviously amazing and shows that 2017 could be stronger than ever.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I watched three movies today:

Lego Batman: B+

50S2: C+

A Cure For The Welness: C-

@Napoleon Have you heard about that aberration called: "Internet: O Filme"? I wanted to throw up everythime that they played this piece of shit, I can't believe that our cinema managed to do something worse than "É Fada", this disgrace can not even be considered a movie, it would be offensive, I just want to see it crashing and burning in the hell.

Yeah, I watched the trailer of that abomination. Hope it bombs :ph34r:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

@Fullbuster Besides Logan doing well In Brazil b/c X-Men are popular of course in that country, how well will another CBM called GOTG 2 will do and will it improve on from predecessor since MCU is also loved too in Brazil.

GOTG2 will absolutely do better than the first one it's a certainty. Impossible to say how much for sure but the first one didn't do that well, it was pretty decent with $16m / R$39m. GOTG is much more famous now and sequels usually do much better when it comes to CBM movies.

That will be exciting to follow for sure, grossing twice more than GOTG is not impossible at all despite the disadvantageous ER.