Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Planet of the Apes is king with $6.4M OW; good holds for Garfield and Challengers

3 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Any tracking on Saint Seiya? The Caballeros del Zodiaco cartoon was very popular in the late 80's.

Distributor really took a bet on that one. Is getting the biggest or second biggest auditoriums but from what I saw on Thu it was doing meh so maybe on par with Suzume.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:22 PM, Carlangonz said:

Perisur is at 782/5,592 and Buenavista at 877/6,525 across OD + Previews for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.

(T-6 OPENING DAY, T-5 PREVIEWS)

Perisur - 915/5,592 (16.36% ocuppancy) +16.26% from T-8

Buenavista - 1,035/6,525 (15.85% occupancy) +18.02% from T-8

Both are pretty much running at the same pace in Wed previews but Buenavista is gearing up Thursday sales. If both keep ryhtm should be at The Batman's OD level and 2/3rds of Love & Thunder with walk-ins closer to the former and I think is going even in sales so $45M-$50M ($2.5M-$2.8M) OD incl previews. 

I still don't know about how Wed-Thu ratio may be. Buenavista is aiming to match Wakanda Forever but Perisur aims at around 60% of that one.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

I am 100% certain Brazil and Mexico will be the biggest markets for this movie.

The nostalgia element never hurts! I was already a bit old to fully enjoy it but my younger brother was crazy about it. Did you have a dubbed Portuguese version?

Fast X tickets going on sale this Thursday. Buzz seems strong enough to pick admissions from Fast 9 back to Fast 6 levels but there's a sense of fatigue on this one that part of the GA just won't come back even if it's the finale so Furious 7/8 seems a tough task. $650M-700M 

After this one it seems we're getting a sales launch every week from now until early July as there's a big release every week after Fast X on the 17th. 

Elemental moves from June 15th to June 22th avoiding a direct clash with The Flash which is staying and likely moving up to the 14th

Everything else probably is going to remain the same as in US/CAN except for Dead Reckoning which is going for August. I'm also keeping an eye on how Universal handles Oppenheimer, ever since Dark Knight Rises Warner always released Chris Nolan's films a week or two after domestic launch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Everything else probably is going to remain the same as in US/CAN except for Dead Reckoning which is going for August. I'm also keeping an eye on how Universal handles Oppenheimer, ever since Dark Knight Rises Warner always released Chris Nolan's films a week or two after domestic launch.

How late could a US Film take to release in Mexico? We currently have films here targeting Spring Breaks/Golden Week. And Normally Only Summer Films release simultaneously. Some Films target empty months like John Wick will be here on September. 

13 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

How late could a US Film take to release in Mexico? We currently have films here targeting Spring Breaks/Golden Week. And Normally Only Summer Films release simultaneously. Some Films target empty months like John Wick will be here on September. 

I think from early to mid 2000s most movies (except franchises) could take up to a month but gap has closed more and more as years go by and market growths.

Right now everything with a $100M+ budget launches day on date with domestic. There are exceptions but they're rare. Even Marvel quit to launching their May releases a week early which seems a pretty dumb move given how lucrative the May 1st holiday is. 

Of course exceptions are small movies especially if they're award contenders because they could get delayed up to 3-4 months. It kinda worked in the past for titles like Shape of Water, Green Book or La La Land but right now most movies release when they're already on. PVOD in US

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$73.2M total for Mario!

:ohmygod:

On line with expectations so around $1.31B and as expected beating Toy Story 4 next weekend. 

I think yeah $1.45B-$1.5B at the end. Comp with TS4 will remain flat as that one had holidays and no competition after TLK.

But it would seem like 4th weekend record got dusted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Starrow5722 said:

.............what lol?

People are seeing Mario overperformance as a sign that it's exploding and Hollywood should put his eyes into it because it's getting bigger than Europe. Instead of like... we just love Mario and ER is at a 4-year high.

It would seem as if them thought there was no exhibition market until 6 months ago. 

Edited by Carlangonz

On 4/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, Carlangonz said:

I still don't know about how Wed-Thu ratio may be. Buenavista is aiming to match Wakanda Forever but Perisur aims at around 60% of that one.

Pre-weekend bump not looking good. Fri-Sun only grew 11% in both locations compared to 16%-18% from Wed-Fri. 

Seems like high 10s to low 20s in previews. I'm still on mid 40s for OD + Previews but if audiences remain reluctant to MCU then sub-40M is happening.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Instead of like... we just love Mario and ER is at a 4-year high.

instead of like Mexico was already a bigger market than France & Germany for Hollywood. (comfortably in tickets sold)

& way things are going, China could be smaller than Mexico :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Plus Monday is a bank holiday! If it passes $75M by Tuesday then the all-time USD record is within reach.

why bother about USD tho?

I mean we have excellent local currency reporting, should stick to that for all kind of analysis. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Not Reddit saying we're beating France and UK as moviegoing market and becoming the next China :winomg:

I read it too, don't forget Japan 😅