Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

6 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Looks Disney is happy :)

• 5 out of Top 10 highest OW all-time. They should add more next year with Avengers 4, The Lion King and Toy Story 4. Top 3 is owned entirely by Marvel
  • 6 out of Top 10 all-time are Disney titles. Top 4 will be entirely Disney

Even with the awful ER the record is massive, simply astonishing what they've done. In the end, Brazil is beating final gross but anyway all the $50M+ grossers in Mexico have been Disney and they've managed two of them in less than a year, i don't think that's close to happen with any other studio. They should thank Feige and Unkrich, both have done it multiple times, Feige with three Avengers and Unkrich twice with Pixar.

Now i hope they forget about Solo and focus everything on I2, a lot of potential on the Parr family.

• Astonished 1

Sat drop about double than Sat drop for CW (-9.8% for CW VS -18% for IW) Studio estimated for Sun is 10 times bigger than Sun actual for CW (+1% CW vs +10% for IW) Don't know how reliable is the estimated. 

Screen count is a new record all-time: 5,873. 

5.4M adm up to Sat. Mid 8M by sunday. 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Sat drop about double than Sat drop for CW (-9.8% for CW VS -18% for IW) Studio estimated for Sun is 10 times bigger than Sun actual for CW (+1% CW vs +10% for IW) Don't know how reliable is the estimated. 

Screen count is a new record all-time: 5,873. 

5.4M adm up to Sat. Mid 8M by sunday. 

So that Mexico estimate is wrong?

5 hours ago, UserHN said:

So that Mexico estimate is wrong?

Well it could go either as Black Panther and finish way behind estimates (BP was $10M off) or pull an 'It' and give a huge boost on Sunday (like the one estimated) I say in the middle, weather still pretty bad and considering holidays i don't think people mind to wait.

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

@Carlangonz today is holiday? 

Not exactly. Is children's day so every level except colleges and high-schools are off or finishing day earlier. Although today is payment day for many workers everywhere, tomorrow is holiday so late afternoon and night business are seeing a jump, theatres are closing today as if was a weekend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Well it could go either as Black Panther and finish way behind estimates (BP was $10M off) or pull an 'It' and give a huge boost on Sunday (like the one estimated) I say in the middle, weather still pretty bad and considering holidays i don't think people mind to wait.

Go with the boost :)

• Astonished 9

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

To put things in perspective, it grossed the entire run of JL in 3 days!

463,750,000    Justice League (2017)

462,930,000    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
460,000,000    Finding Dory (2016)

Its probably the same for most places in the world. In my country it did beat JL run by 55% 

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

APRIL 27-29 WEEKEND. INFINITY WAR BREAKS EVERY RECORD AND DESTROYS EVERY HOLDOVER

There's not much to say from other movies except for one the biggest events all-time (right there with Coco and Titanic), so let's make a recap of every record Avengers: Infinity War broke this weekend:

• Biggest Opening Weekend Ever: $463.3M
  • Biggest Opening Weekend Ever (Admissions): 8.16M
  • Biggest Friday All-Time: $171.8M
  • Biggest Saturday All-Time: $141.5M
  • Biggest Sunday All-Time: $150M
  • Biggest Single Day All-Time: $171.8M
  • Widest Release Ever: 6,364 screens
  • Biggest Weekend Overall $495M+

OW record was beaten by +31.79% and admisions record was beaten by +25.92%. 

Movie is currently playing at a whopping 95.78% from total screens in the country! Rest are from holdovers and art-houses.

Movie is seriously beloved among people, this is Coco's level, but that doesn't mean this is having a 5x+ multi, but does means is getting more repeat viewings unlike Civil War or Age of Ultron which were very divisive. This going over $950M+, specially with many factors in favor:

- It holds IMAX and 4D screens for three entire weeks, the PLF screens are kept by two weeks.

- A half holiday today, a holiday tomorrow and a holiday this friday

- No competition this weekend, Stranger: Prey at Night is the only wide release

The million pesos question: Is this going over Coco? Right now i don't think so, it would need a stellar multi, a reasonable multi like GOTG 2 takes it to $1,060M (vs $1,100M of Coco), a better multi would require moderate drops, we'll have a clearer idea next monday.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Avengers: Infinity War $463.3   $463.3 $24.79 8.16 8.16
2 Rampage $11.73 -78,94% $210.26 $11.52 235.2K 4.1
3 Truth or Dare $7.93 -67,76% $43.4 $2.31 153.2K 907.4K
4 A Quiet Place $4.7 -71,16% $130.7 $7.14 81.8K 2.5
5 Gnome Alone $2.67 -46,60% $10.4 $554K 56.8K 221.9K
6 Love, Simon $2.44 -76,40% $44.2 $2.41 40.27K 816.4K
7 Ploey, you Never Fly Alone $1.15 -61,79% $14.6 $799K 30.13K 334.9K
8 L'Un Dans L' Autre $1.017   $1.017 $54K 14.56K 14.56K
9 Ready Player One $806.14K -86,87% $168.69 $9.22 13.68K 3.06
10 Sherlock Gnomes $763.3K -39,44% $46.7 $2.53 21.1K 1.04

This Friday opens: Stranger: Prey at Night, 24 Hours to Live, Revenge, Isle of Dogs, The Nile Hilton Incident and Un Caballo Llamado Elefante

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

What's coming next...?

Overboard is coming on May 10th and Deadpool 2 is coming on May 18th. 

Probably Overboard isn't reaching HTBALL's heights but for Derbez $200M+ is a win, $300M+ is a success. Overboard doesn't have any advantage like Latin Lover or Instructions not Included, has bigger competition and is going to lose screens quickly. Opening right on time for Mother's Day (10) and Teacher's Day (15) is helping it. Late legs may help it, after Deadpool it doesn't have any big competition so I'm seeing $250M+ 

Deadpool 2 can perfectly co-exist with Infinity War if quality is good. Movie hasn't been rated by RTC, as soon as we know rating scenario is easier to predict. I could say B-15 is a lock but everyone thought that about Logan last year and didn't turned out well. If gets C then we're looking at $300M+ but if is B-15 then we're looking for $420M+

For Solo we can't feel nothing but sorry, TLJ was heavily hated by SW fanbase and excitement has decreased a lot for the Ron Howard film. Need to deliver a la Rogue One to get even $200M, by now I'm sticking with Total < TFA 4-Day OW ($191M)

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to @fabiopazzo2

Those are $101M for Monday! Is pretty much the same AoU and BvS did on their respective OD! After this now has moved to #19 all-time, in a few hours must move BatB as #18 and today's holiday is making it to reach Top 10. Also, now is #1 of 2018.

I think we can practically lock $1B

• Like 3
  • Astonished 5

I'm really considering the possibility that today's gross be bigger than Civil War's OD ($124M). Freaking insane that is managing five $100M+ days in a row. 2nd weekend can top $200M 

Disney scoring two $1B/$50M USD in about six months is just crazy, i really can't believe this is happening.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

So there's a chance it reaches 700M lc and passes Jurassic World by Friday... ay ay ay. What an exciting year!

Did Black Panther rebound, or is it out of theatres?

I think it passes $700M tomorrow, is discount wednesday. If not then should do it on thursday.

As for Black Panther is in a very low number of theatres right now.

BTW... Number for Mon is $98.22M, -34.95% from Sun, $562.6M total after just four days!

• Astonished 1