Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Challengers cannot dent Kongzilla's crown; big anime OW for Spy x Family

11 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

7.5 is the best OD in Mexico? Any chance to pass $ 10M ?

Civil War opened with $124M, with current ER that's $6.8M USD. I do believe IW can top that but $10M is a very long stretch. I'm thinking $8M right now, midnights are going to be bigger so that allows room for more shows satisfying demand on day. Plus, CW wasn't an AoU or TFA that held shows sold-out for early morning, that's something very possible for IW if Disney and chains allow it.  

• Like 1

In a few hours i'll do a better recap but in Cinemex the PS is huuuuge. Many theatres will be outselling best 2017's PS numbers (It) through the weekend. Cinemex also crashed a few minutes but immediately recovered.

For what i saw in Cinépolis; PLF's, IMAX and 4D are selling in minutes for midnights.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Civil War opened with $124M, with current ER that's $6.8M USD. I do believe IW can top that but $10M is a very long stretch. I'm thinking $8M right now, midnights are going to be bigger so that allows room for more shows satisfying demand on day. Plus, CW wasn't an AoU or TFA that held shows sold-out for early morning, that's something very possible for IW if Disney and chains allow it.  

Expected to pass Coco for highest grossing in Pesos?

16 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Expected to pass Coco for highest grossing in Pesos?

Too early to say anything. The movie has elements to be leggy:

- Goodbye to an important character (see Furious 7)

- The big event of the franchise, the movie everyone's been waiting for (see Toy Story 3) 

- Novelty of seeing multiple characters for the first time (see Avengers)

- Emotional ending (if it happens) (see Coco, Instructions not Included) 

Or could be another Deathly Hallows 2 and collapse after week one, specially with two holidays on first week. 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1

PS for IW are just breathtaking. As i posted before; both Cinépolis and Cinemex collapsed, Cinemex went down for a few minutes but Cinépolis took a bit longer to recover. Some things i've noticed the last 17 hours since tickets went on sale:

- Midnights for 14/15 IMAX screens across the country are above any comp. Strong sales in IMAX Cancún and IMAX Cuernavaca are helping to take advantage over movies like It (best PS numbers i saw during 2017)

- Mexico City and Monterrey have best numbers, then Guadalajara. Puebla and Veracruz are close.

- Cinépolis has strength for north and center zones (except Guanajuato) while Cinemex dominates south, mostly Yucatán.

- #InfinityWar was #1 TT on Twitter for over 8 hours.

- Theatres are starting shows as early as 9:00 AM.

My local theatre (8 traditional screens and 4 VIP) is at the same point where BvS was two days before shows started. Other one (11 traditional screens) is at same point CW was one week before release. For midnights, the former already sold-out 5 traditional screens and has another 3 about 50%-70% full, to compare, this is how next movies FINISHED:

- Spider-Man: Homecoming. 2 sold-out and 1 at 70%

- Thor: Ragnarok. 1 sold-out, 2 at 50%-70% and 1 with less than 50% sold.

- It. 3 sold-out and 3 with 70%+

As weekend goes on i'll see how Sun, Mon and Tue goes since the last two arr holidays and Sun is always a bigger day

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

Every holdover this weekend is looking at a 50%+ drop this weekend.

• RPO had exceptional weekdays but anyway is finishing just O/U 50% drop. Right now aims for $180M
  • 'Hasta que la Boda nos Separe' is on risk from reaching $100M, if it does is finishing just a bit over.
  • Pacific Rim: Uprising keeps sinking with a 65% drop this weekend.

Now; about openers:

• A Quiet Place is beating HDD's and Get Out's entire gross this weekend and running only 10% behind Split.
  • Mazinger Z is pulling a very impressive $20K PSA this weekend. 
  • Game Night dissapointed opening close to half to Hitman's Bodyguard.
  • Surpsingly, Hurricane Heist is doing better than good numbers :winomg: 

Totals up to Friday.

1/ A Quiet Place -- $18M

2/ Ready Player One -- $111.8M

3/ The Hurricane Heist -- $11M

4/ Hasta que la Boda nos Separe -- $55.5M

5/ Mazinger Z -- $7.4M

6/ Pacific Rim: Uprising -- $195.5M

7/ Game Night -- $4.4M

8/ Sherlock Gnomes -- $33.3M

9/ A Wrinkle in Time -- $32.7M

10/ La 4a Compañía -- $1M

APRIL 06-08 WEEKEND. A QUIET PLACE SURPRISES AND BLOW AWAY COMPS. HURRICANE OVERPERFORMS AND GAME NIGHT FLOPS.

A Quiet Place

- As i already mentioned, it beat total grosses for HDD and Get Out. 3-Day OW is on par with Split.

- OD-OW ratio was bigger than i expected, marketing worked very well. 

- It has two clean weeks to reach $120M+, amazing success

Ready Player One

- Incredible hold, WOM does seems to be working good

- Rampage and Infinity War are coming but should add $35M+ more

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 A Quiet Place $41,9   $48,9 $2,68 750,9K 890,8K
2 Ready Player One $29,4 -45,91% $133,7 $7,32 505,7K 2,3
3 The Hurricane Heist $26,1   $31,1 $1,70 521,8K 630,7K
4 Mazinger Z: Infinity $14,4   $18,1 $994K 270,2K 342,4K
5 Hasta que la Boda nos Separe $14,08 -48,42% $65,8 $3,60 256,6K 1,3
6 Pacific Rim: Uprising $13,9 -59,49% $206,1 $11,19 282K 4,1
7 Game Night $10,1   $11,8 $648K 157,1K 185,6K
8 Sherlock Gnomes $8,58 -46,13% $39,8 $2,17 172,3K 862,03K
9 A Wrinkle in Time $7,4 -54,79% $38,3 $2,09 138,8K 755,2K
10 La 4a Compañía $2,5   $2,9 $159K 44,3K 52,4K

This Friday opens: Rampage, Love, Simón, 7 Days in Entebbe, Ploey, Loveless, Ôtez-Moi d'Un d'Oute and Last Flag Flying

• Like 4

Footage from the April 5 fan-event. Starting minute 2 you can jump until minute 4, for some reason Disney is promoting the movie even with YouTubers. Victoria Alonso was pretty cool in both fan event and press conference. 

Spots are all in over Disney platforms in both social media and TV. Social media activity is huge, is hard to escape from it. 

Also, some theaters in Puebla and State of Mexico are starting to book shows for 3:00 AM. 

So, yeah... IW in here is like TPM or TFA in the US

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

I just made a shows count for midnights across Cinepolis' theatres on 10 cities. 

• 10 cities
  • 157 theatres (19.24% from total in the country)
  • 1,750 screens (26.38% from total in the country)
City Midnights % of total screens in the city
Mexico City and Metropolitan Area 554 72.41%
Monterrey 157 62.30%
Guadalajara 140 64.81%
Puebla 103 87.28%
Veracruz 40 83.33%
Quéretaro 71 76.34%
Tijuana 83 77.57%
Cancún 40 58.82%
Mérida 45 86.53%
Toluca 28 48.27%
  • CDMX and M.A. is still growing over the next weeks.  There's strenght everywhere with M.A and south dominating while west is pretty weak compared to other areas, but that happens for every single movie not named Star Wars, only two theatres (Plaza Carso and Parque Toreo) are outperforming. Metropoltan Area has three shows for 3:00 AM and north has one for 2:00 AM. Forum Buenavista (3rd highest grosser theatre in the country according to RTH) has its 16 screens near to sold-out or sold-out, same situation for other smaller theatres such as Oasis Coyoacan (12), Encuentro Fortuna (12) or Cosmopol (12)
  • Monterrey is consistent on every area but any is particularly impressive, although it may be affected by people deciding to cross over Texas to get to see it on Thursday previews. The biggest theatres (Galerías Valle Oriente and Galerías Monterrey) have filled IMAX, 4DX and VIPs but they're far from booking the entire theatres. The city counts with four 2:00 AM shows
  • Guadalajara with less showings has a better ratio shows/screens thanks to seven theatres with all of screens available, included second biggest of the city: Forum Tlaquepaque. Unlike Monterrey, here aren't any 2:00 AM or 3:00 shows... yet.
  • Puebla is a fraking monster! They're up to 7 out of 11 theatres with all of their screens booked. They're also already offering five extra shows at 3:00 AM, one of them is practically a sold-out. 
  • The chain is also opening Salas Junior (exclusive for families), which is a sign of how huge things are coming, IW will be the first 'B' (PG-13) movie to be shown at these auditorioums.

Over next days i'll do similar exercises now focusing over specific theatres and formats. I don't have numbers for Cinemex screens but they do have a very useful tool to see how busy their screens are and i'll use it too.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Cinemex has a very useful tool, on their website and app you can check out the availability of shows. Is ordered by color and means how occupied is the auditorium, red is very crowded, yellow is crowded and green is little crowded. After some metrics i decided to represent it as:

Red = 85%+ occupied

Yellow = 50%-84% occupied

Green = 49%- occupied

After that i also did midnight tracking at:

• 10 cities (same ones as the Cinépolis tracking)
  • 158 theatres (19.36% from total in the country)
  • 857 screens (12.92% from total in the country). I must clarify i'm only using scheduled screens, not the entire number like with Cinépolis, that's why there's so much difference despite a similar theatre count.
  85%-100% 50%-85% 0%-50%
CDMX and M.A. 215 160 75
Monterrey 51 67 42
Guadalajara 6 10 20
Puebla 44 9 11
Queretaro  7 10 10
Veracruz 7 4 5
Cancún 2 6 7
Tijuana 1 5 22
Toluca 0 3 8
Mérida 15 30 5
  348 304 205

After this, this is how the sample looks for the entire country.

1VHH1oV.png

Numbers are insanely high for any movie, Cinemex is not very pre-sale driven as Cinépolis and works this well only for a few theatres. 

• CDMX and A.M are way less uniform than Cinépolis. Although they do share a thing in common: their theatres with more shows are from same town in M.A, that's Aragón, which has 10 near sold-out or sold-out, difference is this one doesn't have 3:00 AM shows. West, unlike Cinépolis is performing better than good with amazing results from Santa Fé, center is huge with Parque Delta and Reforma 222 leading, east has Parque Tezontle standing as one of the highest grossers in the chain. Finally, south is leaded by Universidad and Cuicuilco and Mundo E represents north power. 
  • Puebla is huuuuge here in Cinemex too! They have the best sold-out/show ratio of all 10 cities. By this time 68.75% of their shows are red!
Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Cinemex has a very useful tool, on their website and app you can check out the availability of shows. Is ordered by color and means how occupied is the auditorium, red is very crowded, yellow is crowded and green is little crowded. After some metrics i decided to represent it as:

Red = 85%+ occupied

Yellow = 50%-84% occupied

Green = 49%- occupied

After that i also did midnight tracking at:

• 10 cities (same ones as the Cinépolis tracking)
  • 158 theatres (19.36% from total in the country)
  • 857 screens (12.92% from total in the country). I must clarify i'm only using scheduled screens, not the entire number like with Cinépolis, that's why there's so much difference despite a similar theatre count.
  85%-100% 50%-85% 0%-50%
CDMX and M.A. 215 160 75
Monterrey 51 67 42
Guadalajara 6 10 20
Puebla 44 9 11
Queretaro  7 10 10
Veracruz 7 4 5
Cancún 2 6 7
Tijuana 1 5 22
Toluca 0 3 8
Mérida 15 30 5
  348 304 205

After this, this is how the sample looks for the entire country.

1VHH1oV.png

Numbers are insanely high for any movie, Cinemex is not very pre-sale driven as Cinépolis and works this well only for a few theatres. 

• CDMX and A.M are way less uniform than Cinépolis. Although they do share a thing in common: their theatres with more shows are from same town in M.A, that's Aragón, which has 10 near sold-out or sold-out, difference is this one doesn't have 3:00 AM shows. West, unlike Cinépolis is performing better than good with amazing results from Santa Fé, center is huge with Parque Delta and Reforma 222 leading, east has Parque Tezontle standing as one of the highest grossers in the chain. Finally, south is leaded by Universidad and Cuicuilco and Mundo E represents north power. 
  • Puebla is huuuuge here in Cinemex too! They have the best sold-out/show ratio of all 10 cities. By this time 68.75% of their shows are red!

Is this data just for AIW?