Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Great Tuesday for Inside Out 2 - $38.7M total, very close to all-time Top 20 in lc

On 4/29/2023 at 7:10 PM, Purple Minion said:

The nostalgia element never hurts! I was already a bit old to fully enjoy it but my younger brother was crazy about it. Did you have a dubbed Portuguese version?

Yes. In fact the vast majority of showings are dubbed, not only for this movie, but for most movies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Jesús de Veracruz. $75+M before the Bank Holiday! 4th weekend obliterated, this is crossing 1.5B lc.

It seems it's actually hurting Guardians' sales and not the other way around.

• Astonished 1

April 28th-30th

1. Super Mario Bros - $128.8M/$1,3853.3M
  2. Evil Dead Rise - $26.2M/$77.1M
  3. Knights of Zodiac - $19.3M
  4. Pope's Exorcist - $11.7M/$149.2M
  5. Renfield - $9.5M
  6. No Descansarás - $6.3M
  7. LaHerederaDeLaMafia - $5.9M
  8. The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan - $4.9M/$22M
  9. Los Habitantes - $4.5M

10.  John Wick 4 - $4.1M/$253.7M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Shanks said:

April 28th-30th

1. Super Mario Bros - $128.8M/$1,3853.3M
  2. Evil Dead Rise - $26.2M/$77.1M
  3. Knights of Zodiac - $19.3M
  4. Pope's Exorcist - $11.7M/$149.2M
  5. Renfield - $9.5M
  6. No Descansarás - $6.3M
  7. LaHerederaDeLaMafia - $5.9M
  8. The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan - $4.9M/$22M
  9. Los Habitantes - $4.5M

10.  John Wick 4 - $4.1M/$253.7M

Where is Suzume? I think MEX$25M?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Spidey, watch your back! Was the streaming date for Mario also postponed as in the US? That would give it xtra breathing space.

There wasn't one I think but PVOD usually get here one or two weeks after US. 

Streaming will take another 7-8 months or so to HBO Max.

Yeah @Issac Newton I think low 25s. It took a hit on shows this week.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DisposedData said:

Not taking away from Mario but how much of this is just because Mexico is becoming a bigger and bigger market?

That is something I said here a couple of times, it just seems that Mexico box office is doing absolutely great since last year. It's probably the biggest performer for Hollywood movies right now in relative terms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DisposedData said:

Not taking away from Mario but how much of this is just because Mexico is becoming a bigger and bigger market?

It's a combo of inflation (ATP has increased around 20% compared to 2019) and stable ER compared to pretty much everywhere. Not only Super Mario but also John Wick overperformance and even Shazam or Quantumania doesn't look bad because ER is at better level than all their predecessors.

Admissions-wise was already coming to a peak in 2019 and doesn't seem like it'll explode; it need bigger hits from both locals and low-profile titles but lc is sure to remain massive due to those two factors. 

Also premium formats and alternative content (i.e. concerts and live sports) are gaining more and more popularity despite infrastructure not accelerating. Thankfully Cinemex has got back IMAX partnership and they're planning 6 new screens by early 2024 which is the same time Cinépolis is planning on getting a 100% footprint of laser projection on their screens. 

• Like 1

I'm going for high $1.5B to low $1.6B finale for Mario. Most of animated comps (both Minions, latest Toy Story, Lion King and even Puss in Boots 2) at this point had zero competition and holidays ahead whereas Mario doesn't have any close holiday and even though I don't think any of Fast X, Guardians or Little Mermaid are going to explode they will take it away a lot of screens starting by premiums and VIPs this weekend.

No Way Home may be a photo-finish.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Whether it's NWH ATG or Avatar 2/PiB2 Legs, now Mario ~ Mexico BO is currently blessed by God.

Exceptional. Gross in both in lc and USD is great but to me is outstanding how admissions will manage to beat No Way Home which seemed to be the biggest nostalgia event post-2019.

Between this, Puss in Boots and Demon Slayer all breaking out I think once again we're reminded there's nothing like animation to make a triumph. Excited to see what upcoming entries deliver.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 1
  • Heart 2

hoqW8G4.png

:ohmygod:

This is ridiculous. CANACINE posted the figures above, which probably include Monday. That means Mario did close to 40M lc (over $2M) yesterday. 6th movie to sell more than 20 million tickets.

01    25,200,946    Toy Story 4 (2019)

02    24,861,959    Avengers: Endgame (2019)

03    24,145,540    Coco (2017)

04    23,418,403    Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
05    21,530,855    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

06    20,200,000    The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1