Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Garfield scratches great $8.4M 6-day OW; safe $2.5M start for The Fall Guy

That'd be a 6 million third week isn't it? Probably among the best ever and bigger than a lot of blockbuster's OW!

And all of this with a Mexican peso that lost 15% of its value this year against the US Dollar, it's clearly a disadvantage..And despite that the movie is destroying everything, an it still has 2 weeks ahead of him before Age of Ultron.

It's going to be a close one, FF7 is box office magnet for Mexico (1/3 of the US admissions have been Hispanic) while the Marvel Universe is starting to show symptons of fatigue. Do we know if TA2 is opening on more screens than FF7?

I don't know, but I don't believe in this supposed "Marvel fatigue", I heard it for a few years and every time a movie is released there is a confirmation it is non-existent. Guardians of the Galaxy wonderfully showed it. So I don't expect any effect on TA2 from something that doesn't exist.

I was referring to Marvel in Mexico.  CA2 and Thor 2 OW was just 10% (in average) higher than their first installment, under that pattern TA2 would do 20M max - FF7 OW was a freak anomaly. However, TA2 may have better legs than FF7. Happy to be proven wrong by numbers in the next weeks!

I was referring to Marvel in Mexico.  CA2 and Thor 2 OW was just 10% (in average) higher than their first installment, under that pattern TA2 would do 20M max - FF7 OW was a freak anomaly. However, TA2 may have better legs than FF7. Happy to be proven wrong by numbers in the next weeks!

AOU though is opening during the same time frame as Avengers

The first CA and Thor both opened in the summer where OW should be higher.  The sequels opened in early April and Nov.  CA2 finished in US $s 25% higher and TDW and about 20% higher - both with worse exchange rates than in 2011.  IM3 also opened about the same as Avengers did in Mexico with $17m

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

AOU though is opening during the same time frame as Avengers

The first CA and Thor both opened in the summer where OW should be higher.  The sequels opened in early April and Nov.  CA2 finished in US $s 25% higher and TDW and about 20% higher - both with worse exchange rates than in 2011.  IM3 also opened about the same as Avengers did in Mexico with $17m

Thanks, that confirms there is no Marvel fatigue in Mexico :)

TA2 will be huge, not much more than TA1 in $ because the peso lost 15% of its value against the USD since the start of 2015..But still, as long as it's bigger than TA1 :) I hope it can pass $70m :)

@danyloria: Online ticketing is soaring in Mexico. @Cinepolis has broken the record for pre-sales three times this year alone #CinemaCon

The market is on fire!!!!!!

I expect a lot from Mexico about TA2, No me decepciones Mexico !

My final forecast for TA2 in Mexico :

$25m OW

$72m total

It's optimistic but perfectly possible :) It would be the all-time record in both cases anyway. And in admissions and Mexican Peso it would be even more spectacular.

• Like 2

MEXICO MOVIE MARKET IN ADMISSIONS

2006 : 168m

2007 : 178m

2008 : 182m

2009 : 180m

2010 : 189m

2011 : 205m

2012 : 228m

2013 : 257m

It's an explosive growth! It's now clearly higher than France, the UK, Russia and South Korea.

• Like 1

Box Office - 17-19 April - Top 3

1. FF7

Gross

Week: $61,199,489
Cum: $690,128,512 --> about US$46M! With the 2013 exchange rate, it'd be over US$53M...

Admissions

Week: 1,148,726
Cum: 13,518,479 :o  -> more than 10% of the entire population.

2. Paul Blart Mall Cop 2

Gross
Week: $27,548,196

Audience

Week: 572,536

3. Run All Night

Gross
Week: $20,632,354
Audience

Week: 382,339

http://canacine.org.mx/taquilla/

• Like 5

Box Office - 17-19 April - Top 3

1. FF7

Gross

Week: $61,199,489

Cum: $690,128,512 --> about US$46M! With the 2013 exchange rate, it'd be over US$53M...

Admissions

Week: 1,148,726

Cum: 13,518,479 :o  -> more than 10% of the entire population.

2. Paul Blart Mall Cop 2

Gross

Week: $27,548,196

Audience

Week: 572,536

3. Run All Night

Gross

Week: $20,632,354

Audience

Week: 382,339

http://canacine.org.mx/taquilla/

When I saw $61m for FF7 I thought "wait, WHAT???" :P

When you talk about the Mexican peso you also use the "$" sign?

Anyway, even here the exchange rates is a bit troublesome, $7m lost for FF7 it's not nothing...

Do you know the total number of admissions in Mexico in 2014? I know the market got a small decrease in dollars but I can't find the number of admissions...That would be cool :)

Early in January I read that in 2014 253m admissions had been sold in Mexico. A little bit less admissions but a little bit more money than 2013

Yes, the $ is also used for Mexican pesos. Will use MX$ to avoid any confussion from now on :shades:

A nice graphic with the growth in admissions in Mexico, 2007-2013:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/245595/attendance-at-movie-theaters-in-mexico/

This site contains all box office statistics for 2014 in Mexico but it's suscription only:

https://technology.ihs.com/342984/

According to this document, Mexico is still the 10th largest movie market in the word even though box office went down 5% in 2014:

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2014.pdf

Edited by Palomito de Maiz

Early in January I read that in 2014 253m admissions had been sold in Mexico. A little bit less admissions but a little bit more money than 2013

Thanks Henry :)

So admissions decreased for the first time in 2014, by 4 million, and the growth in Mexican Peso grew thanks to inflation. I know it decreased in dollars because of the exchange rates. Apparently the decrease in 2014 is mostly due to a disappointing supply of movies so 2015 will be much better : FF7 already beat the highest grossing movie of 2014 (Maleficent) and The Avengers 2 will do it too so that's obvious:  2015 will destroy 2014 and 2013 in admissions and dollars.