Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Challengers cannot dent Kongzilla's crown; big anime OW for Spy x Family

18 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Curious How much will Avatar 3 doing?

Any chance for breaking record with ticket price increase?

Only if it features Peter Parker or Woody the Cowboy! 🙃 Never say never but it would be very hard to reach 1.5B even with the ticket price increase. A2's admissions will end up 40% higher than the original, but half of the all-time champion, TS4. I can't see ATP going over 100 lc unless there is a never-seen before technology implemented for A3, so another 1B+ lc total should be a win.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Only if it features Peter Parker or Woody the Cowboy! 🙃 Never say never but it would be very hard to reach 1.5B even with the ticket price increase. A2's admissions will end up 40% higher than the original, but half of the all-time champion, TS4. I can't see ATP going over 100 lc unless there is a never-seen before technology implemented for A3, so another 1B+ lc total should be a win.

Will hope james cameron introduce the VR to the movie

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Yeah we should a Jurassic World-type consistency when it comes to Avatar. They seem pretty similar to me in terms they're beloved just enough to not to lose audience and maintain interest.

James Cameron need a VR effect to make another revolution and get 4B WW

Taquilla México

(26-29 January)

• Puss In Boots 2 -  $42.7M  //  $374.8m  (down just -13%)
  • Unhappy Forever - $26.2M
  • Winnie The Pooh - $10.3M
  • M3GAN - $10.1M   //   $163.3m
  • Babylon - $7.3M    //  $25.7m
  • Los Fabelman - $5.6M
  • A Man Called Otto -  $4.1M   //  $89.6m
  • Jack In The Box 2 - $3.2M  //  $14.6m
  • Plane - $2.8M   //  $33.9m

• Avatar: The Way of Water's $23m is highest 7th Weekend ever surpassing CoCo's 11.2m.
  • Puss In Boots (42.7m) Broke the 6th weekend record of Avatar 2's (34.9m) set just last Weekend by Wide-margin.

6th Weekend Record:

1. Push in Boots 2 - 42.7M
  2. Avatar 2 - 34.9m
  3. Coco - 22.9m
  4. Minions (2022) - 22.1m

First weekend (TFSS)Avengers: Endgame ($603M)

First weekend (5 Days) Spiderman: NWH ($694.9M)

Second weekend: Toy Story 4 ($250M)

Third weekend: Coco ($159.15M) 

Fourth weekend: Avatar: The Way of Water ($76M) passed Coco (74.98M)

Fifth weekend: Avatar: The Way of Water ($56.6M)

Sixth weekend: Puss in Boots ($42.7m) passed Avatar: The Way of Water ($34.9M)

Seventh Weekend: Avatar: The Way of Water ($23M)

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 5
  • Heart 2
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I Wanna Dance with Somebody made only $2.8M opening. On the other hand Billie Eilish Live grossed $2.4M from a single night shows.

They just threw IWDWS out there with barely any promo, in fact they announced the release date only 2 weeks ago.  A big shame.

8 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

They just threw IWDWS out there with barely any promo, in fact they announced the release date only 2 weeks ago.  A big shame.

Yeah, it was a pretty messy release. I still don't think a larger campaign would've made a difference; people know about Whitney's songs but not about her unlike Elvis or Freddie Mercury who are arguably much recognizable figures. 

Edited by Carlangonz

5 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Yeah, it was a pretty messy release. I still don't think a larger campaign would've made a difference; people know about Whitney's songs but not about her unlike Elvis or Freddie Mercury who are arguably much recognizable figures. 

Wednesday welcomes a new BTS concert which should assure No. 1 this weekend with a $70M+ splash.

Well a great marketing campaign is what makes a big difference for any movie.  I don't remember one trip to Mexico (been there 5 times) where I didn't hear Whitney songs blasting in some store or club, while Elvis or Queen I don't remember hearing.  Anyways this release has been a big mess even in the USA where she is clearly a very recognizable figure which shows that it's all about how Sony handled promotion in many countries.  Thankfully it's doing well in some international markets especially the UK. I bet the people in Mexico who saw the movie randomly stumbled upon the words "Whitney Houston" when they were checking their local movie listings.

Edited by wboxoffice

Wednesday welcomes a new BTS concert which should assure No. 1 this weekend with a $70M+ splash.

I've been thinking about this year's slate and I think MCU won't be the king this time either. Neither the Furious saga I'm afraid. Hopefully there's a breakout a la Coco/Avatar

8 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Avatar 2 beating Minions 2 take the admissions record of the year

Top 20 all-time! Won't make it to the Top 10, and fifty/fifty chance of Top 15.

15    14,524,899    Captain America: Civil War (2016)
16    14,210,175    Fate of the Furious (2017)
17    14,048,161    Despicable Me 3 (2017)

18    13,848,790    Jurassic World (2015)
19    13,769,041    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

20    13,600,000    Avatar: The Way of Water (2022)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:36 AM, Carlangonz said:

May be another weekend of Puss in Boots breaking Way of Water's previous weekend record. Former at $380M and latter at $1.04B.

Seems like o/u $1.1B for Avatar in the end. It should hold softly from now until Quantumania releases and takes a dive in screens. 

This coming weekend is a long weekend right? Should be another record-making weekend for both PIB2 and A2.