Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Challengers cannot dent Kongzilla's crown; big anime OW for Spy x Family

On 2/19/2023 at 2:56 PM, Carlangonz said:

Beyond discussion about quality I'd like to address the big issue Disney+ has been here. Now anything that doesn't include Tobey, Hugh or anyone from the old times is going to face an uphill battle.

big agree on that point

I dont know if its because we have a pretty developed culture of pirating things or if everyone has a disney+ account, but during avatar's ow, the most-read avatar-related article in the online version of the newspaper I read was one that asked when avatar 2 was making its way to disney plus

Deadline on the success of The Whale:

Overseas, the top market on the three-time Oscar nominee is Mexico where California Filmes began release on February 9, scoring the No. 1 spot that weekend, and followed by flat drops. The gross through Sunday is $5.03M. The Whale is expected to finish its run in the $8M range in Mexico, similar to or not far off titles like A Quiet Place Part II and Elvis. It has surpassed Nope, Free Guy, Ticket to Paradise and last year’s Scream in the market (all at historical rates). 

Just look at those drops!

Wkn 1: 24.7M lc

Wkn 2: 24.4M lc

Wkn 3: 24 0M lc

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Yeah I was thinking maybe $8M before SAG last sunday. If Brendan beats Austin at the Oscars then I think could top $10M. We'll see if France comes higher as top OS market.

• Like 1

Scream 6 presales are quite underwhelming. They look to Scream 5 what Halloween Kills/Ends were to Halloween. Is also more walk-up heavy than other horror franchises so wouldn't worry by now.

Shazam: Fury of Gods started today and looking quite underwhelming as well. Warner is kinda doing a last effort but don't know if it'll work out.

Demon Slayer is massive. I'm thinking could reach $30M+($1.6M+) across the 4-Day. cc. @Issac Newton

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Deadline: Creed III jabbed the No. 1 spot as well, with opening day results 86% over Creed I and 40% behind Creed II. Looking solely at Thursday-to-Thursday comps in the different years, the results are roughly on par with Creed II.

ER < 18!!!!!

I gotta wonder what's going at Warner Bros. They went really low on screens compared to how well Creed II did. 

On 3/2/2023 at 3:00 AM, Purple Minion said:

Is there any special connection between Fraser and Mexico? The movie seem only got overcharged here in Mexico. The gross is heading to half of the domestic's total. 

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Is there any special connection between Fraser and Mexico? The movie seem only got overcharged here in Mexico. The gross is heading to half of the domestic's total. 

From what I read, the movie plays like a dark soap opera, with a sympathetic, suffering, "flawed" main character and the usual villains and redeeming acts. That resonates with this audience. Probably also had a good marketing campaign!

BTW, Titanic is back into the All Time 100 with this latest re-release, 340M+ lc total.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The Mummy series was very popular back in the 00's given how much they were played on TV so it's a very nostalgic feeling. 

1. Creed III - $56.6M

2. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - $30.7M/$299.7M

3. The Whale - $18.2M/$124.7M

4. Las Momias y el Anillo Perdido - $9M/$28M

5. Nada que Ver - $8.1M

6. Huesera - $7.6M/$29.3M

7. Puss in the Boots: The Last Wish - $7.4M/$500.8M

8. The Dark and the Wicked - $4.9M

9. Maybe I Do - $2.5M/$11.6M

10. Infelices para Siempre - $1.8M/$100.6M

Great for Creed. Should beat previous ones in both lc and admissions which is amazing considering Creed II already overperformed.

Quantumania definitely won't make it past $400M but ER should push it closer to $20M USD. It'll drop screens this weekend with the Demon Slayer/Scream 5/65 combo and take a big hit. 

The Whale still going strong and as @Purple Minion pointed out; in admissions it'll remain higher than DOM figures. Removing local films the last time this happened was with Coco (23M v 22M)

Next weekend Demon Slayer may take the top spot. At least I see it currently higher than Scream or 65.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm taking a deeper look into Demon Slayer this weekend and seeing multiple sellouts across big cities. It'll really win the weekend; it doesn't matter if it drops after Sunday; it'll be massive especially considering it's not something particularly new.

Kinda reminds me of what BTS pulls everytime they show a concert on theatres. Or perhaps it'll eventually take over Dragon Ball as the biggest anime franchise. 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

I count on a fantastic dubbing! Like, Eugenio Derbez as Luigi 😁

I hadn't thought on dubbing. So far marketing has kept only dubbing actors but you never know with Universal adding star-talent.

I'm not seeing signs of Scream VI exploding like everywhere else but ER should definitely push it above Scream V. Anyway Demon Slayer is way less front-loaded than I thought so forget $30M+ as $45M-$50M may even be doable. Insane!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1