“My Mind & Me” from “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me”
“Good Afternoon” from “Spirited”
“Applause” from “Tell It like a Woman”
“Stand Up” from “Till”
“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick”
“Dust & Ash” from “The Voice of Dust and Ash”
“Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing”
“New Body Rhumba” from “White Noise”

https://deadline.com/2022/12/oscar-shortlists-2023-categories-international-documentary-shorts-1235204412/

Naatu Naatu for the win.

4 songs seem to be safer bets:

Naatu Naatu, RRR

Ciao Papa, Pinochio

Lift Me Up, Black Panther

Hold My Hand, Maverick

The fifth spot is wide open. Right now I'm thinking Carolina (Where the Crawdads Sing) is in, but it could be Avatar's Nothing is lost (best picture heat), Selena Gomez's My Mind and Me (she is a star), or A Man Called Otto's Til you're home (Oscar friendly song).

I liked Time (Amsterdam), but it's a longshot.

16 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

so were there just no good movie songs this year?

Huh?

I think this year is one of the best in this category since many years. Three sure to be nommed songs are not just credits song (Ciao Papa, Naatu Naatu, Hold my hand) and they're all quite solid. The other is a strong song that works really well as a farewell to Chadwick Boseman. 

It could have been even better if they had a shortlist with Turning Red song and Songchord from Avatwo. Two more great songs featured prominently during the films.

"Turn Up the Sunshine" is a real bop but alas, wasn't to be making the shortlist. I'm also not shocked the Turning Red songs missed either. I like them but...come on lol. They're parodies of the late 90s/early aughts boy band fluff that the Academy would've never touched even back then had the Backstreet Boys or NSYNC attempted a serious jump into movie soundtracks during their heyday. They'd rather nominate the latest Diane Warren song from a no1curr movie (she has one of those this year too, "Applause" from Tell It Like a Woman) instead even though she now has an Honorary Oscar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing I'm noticing about Naatu Naatu compared to Jai Ho is that Indians seem to be having a genuine sense of ownership with this one. With Jai Ho, everyone was happy for AR Rahman but the song is still not considered Indian by most people. It will barely even come up in conversation of Rahman's work.

Here, it's an out and out Indian song for a movie directed by a guy who is the embodiment of Indian filmmaking.

• Like 1

'Nothing Is Lost' is the only one I've listened to more than once, but I just heard Naatu Naatu for the first time on Tuesday and I want to see them perform.

Spoiler

Ironic, that as I type this, there's a question about The Weeknd on The Chase.