baumer

Baumer's Impossible (but very lucrative) movie trivia contest... ALL questions are posted. Deadline is September 1st..

So we don't have any summer games this year and that used to be a staple of our forums.

Even though we won't have a 3-month long game with spur the moment questions and weekly questions and  this isn't a contest to test your box office acumen, this is a contest that will test your movie knowledge.

As the title says it's going to be a very difficult contest. But it will also offer some big prizes to the top finisher, and some decent prizes to the runner-up and third place finisher. I'll get you the payouts in a minute.

Being in the information age most movie questions or movie lines or basic movie trivia can be found by using Google or any other kind of search engine.

I'm going to attempt to make this contest ungooglable. This will be a contest that features 25 questions and you'll have a designated amount of time to get them handed in. You will obviously send them in by private message and none of the answers should be posted in this thread especially since youre going up against each other.

I'm probably geriatric in age compared to a lot of the members here so yes unfortunately many of the questions will deal with films that are in my wheelhouse or my pallette.

I'll give you more details in the next couple of days but the price structure will work like this:

1st place will receive a 8-month gold membership.

2nd will get 3 months 

3rd 1 month.

I'll be working on the questions over the weekend and everything should go live by monday.

Don't worry they won't all be questions about Jaws or Friday the 13th or Raiders of the lost ark. I will definitely make it as eclectic as possible.

I did speak to the moderators about this and they okayed everything so I will get this pinned as soon as they have time.

Good luck to everyone and if you do choose to participate just be prepared to do some research or maybe even watch a few movies.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 15

So just to clarify even if you already have a gold membership and you win you'll just get extended for 8 months. Moderators can obviously participate but there's no prize for them. If by chance a moderator does win then it'll just be whoever finishes runner-up will get the first place prize.

• Like 1

So here's an example, even though I'm pretty sure you could probably Google this. But this will give you an idea of what kind of questions you might have to answer in order to win.

Name two ways that the Netflix Uber hit series "stranger things" and and the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, Predator are connected.

This is not one of the questions that will appear on the list it's just an example.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

So here's an example, even though I'm pretty sure you could probably Google this. But this will give you an idea of what kind of questions you might have to answer in order to win.

Name two ways that the Netflix Uber hit series "stranger things" and and the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, Predator are connected.

This is not one of the questions that will appear on the list it's just an example.

So, in a "I haven't seen that movie in years" answer and an "I'm not googling" , I'll say they both have monsters and reference the 1980's.  Yep, I'm totally winning this contest!    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a good guess but there's two very specific things about the show and the answer is actually probably in the very first episode in the very first 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

All right so here's the first official 10 questions. Do not send me any of your answers yet. Wait until the full 25 or up which should be done by tonight sometime.

As mentioned I've tried to make all these unresearchable. You actually have to either see the movie or have knowledge of the movie to get the answers. I don't expect anyone to get all 25 correct. But have a bit of fun with it and maybe this will make you watch the movies that you've either never seen or haven't seen for a very long time.

1) in the 1982 film Fast Times at Ridgemont high, at the very beginning damone is scalping concert tickets. Two kids come up to him and want to buy these tickets. One of them is wearing a professional sports teams jersey. What sports team is that?

2) in the 1988 film, tequila sunrise, the character played by Mel Gibson owes alimony to his ex-wife and is also responsible for tipping the cooks for his son's birthday party. He mixes up to two amounts and the cooks end up getting an overpayment by about 10 times. What was the amount they were given erroneously?

3) in the 1993 film The fugitive, a one armed man kills Harrison Ford's wife. What is the actual name of the one armed man?

4) what actress appeared in both Friday the 13th the final chapter and weird science?

5) in the 2002 movie mothman prophecies, in what is considered to be one of the most goosebumps inducing scenes of the decade John Klein played by Richard Gere is on the phone with what might be the mothman. What is the name that the mothman claims for himself?

6) in James Cameron's 1986 movie aliens, which Marine dies first? This is an implied death as you don't see it on screen.

7) in the 1984 Wes Craven film A Nightmare on Elm Street Glenn played by Johnny Depp hears Tina and Rod having sex in the next room. Glenn has a two-word outburst. What does he say?

😎 in the 1986 Whoopi Goldberg movie, jumping jack flash, Terry doolittle, played by Whoopi Goldberg is pulled out of the river after she discovers a dead body. While being interrogated by the police they assume she is a hooker working down by the pier. Terry gets frustrated and asks them if she thinks she's giving blowjobs to what kind of animal which resides in water?

9) in the 1986 movie stand by me, Teddy says he will be relaxing with his thoughts. Gordy implies that he will be masturbating when doing so. What line does Gordy say to Teddy to imply that?

10) And my favorite movie trivia question of all time, in the movie Jaws, going by Alex kintner's death, when is Michael's birthday? 

11) In the 1998 movie Armageddon, what does Bear want as compensation for taking on the mission?

12) In the 1998 movie Deep Impact,  what is Jenny's new step moms name?

13) In Fast Five, Toretto and family need to get Reyes fingerprints to open the safe. How do they get them?

14) Name any 4 actors who have appeared in both a Marvel (starting with Iron Man in 2008) and Star Wars film, theatre release only.

15) The opening weekend record was set three times in one year and it was done within 60 days of one another. Tell me what year and all three movies involved.

16) What were Jarvis's very first spoken words in Iron Man?

17) In Spider-Man no way home, what does MJ throw at the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man to test his Spidey senses.... The tingle thing?

18) Name at least three horror movie references in Spielberg's Ready Player One.

19) In the 1999 film American Beauty, when The Burnham's are on way to watch their daughter do her cheerleader routine, Lester comments that he's missing what movie marathon on tv?

20) In Raiders of the Lost Ark, what kind of food kills the monkey?

21) In the 1985 movie Secret Admirer, C Thomas Howell and D Wallace Stone play mother and son. What other movie did they appear in together before a secret admirer?

22) In the original Harry Potter film, what does Hagrid bring Harry when he first meets him?

23) In the Oliver Stone film JFK, Joe Pesci plays David Ferrie. When he meets up with Jim Garrison to be questioned, he says that he went to Houston in a rainstorm to go hunt what kind of birds?

24) In Twilight BD2, what nickname does Jacob give Reneesme?

And your final question....

25) In Chasing Amy, what was Alyssa Jones knick name in high school?

So these are the 25 questions. I've done my best to make them questions that you can't research online. Then again maybe you guys can I'm not sure. I'll have the rest up by tonight hopefully and as I said don't start sending me answers until I have the rest of the questions posted.

I realize most of these questions are from movies way before your time and I will definitely try to have some more modern movies in here as well.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Non MCU movies apply too?

Good catch.

As long as they are Marvel movies starting in 2008 with Iron Man.

• Like 2

Caveat to this:

If on the off chance there are multiple people with a tie score for first place, I'll have to work out a tie breaker. 

I've had one submission so far. I know you have a month to do this but I'm just wondering if anybody's actually interested in it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Hello there, @baumer. I have just gotten back from a 2 year hiatus. 😅 Forgive me for asking, but are we going to have a winter game?

Hey buddy, good to see you.

I've retired from running the games, it's @chasmmi that does it now.

• Like 1