YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

Overseas its not going to do that great. China has shrunk significantly and we have not seen a Pixar breakout in Japan since Toy Story. I agree with 400m being a good target for it dominated by Europe/ANZ/Latin America. $ is also still too strong at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't really know what to expect WW, given different exchange rates from now to 2015.But since Elemental made $342 million outside US+Canada, I expect at least $400m OS for Inside Out 2.

I expect legs around the Finding Dory/Incredibles 2/Toy Story 3 range, which is from 3.3x to 3.6x. The original Inside Out had legs of almost 4x, which I don't think will happen for this one.

So maybe a range of 396m dom - 432m dom is what I expect? Seems a bit high though. Combine that with $450m OS, I expect $850m WW.

I'm a bit more optimistic about this movie’s chances. But while I’m very big on the domestic front, I’m not entirely sure what the international total would be. A 500 million OS total would be reasonable but it would need to be big almost everywhere. At the very least this film doesn’t need to rely on the Chinese market. Also have to take out Russia too, so perhaps 450 million internationally?

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Korea I can see being a strong OS market, they were big on Elemental and the original Inside Out was also one of the biggest Pixar movies there.

Unless it utterly collapsed or underperformed like Kung Fu Panda 4. But I think it’ll do well in Korea.

China? I’m going to be perfectly honest I don’t really think China is a major factor for this movie. The previous one only made 13 million. Total. I can actually see this film increasing from the first one, but it’s not the deciding factor for Inside Out 2’s box office and success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm not even sure Zootopia 2 would be a big hit in China, even though the first one made over $200m there. The US/China relationship got more strained. I wonder if it would even make $100 million. Elemental made $16 million in China though so I guess that's what Inside Out 2 can make.

Edited by cannastop

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah I'm not even sure Zootopia 2 would be a big hit in China, even though the first one made over $200m there. The US/China relationship got more strained. I wonder if it would even make $100 million. Elemental made $16 million in China though so I guess that's what Inside Out 2 can make.

I'd say Zootopia 2 could make 50-100 million. Similar to Kung Fu Panda 4’s 50m and perhaps it can perform similar to Godzilla-Kong: The New Empire, 130m? Or the Boy and the Heron? 

I could see something like 20 million for Inside Out 2. Since I think this has more awareness and interest for China than Elemental. 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

There are some showtimes listed now for Inside Out 2 (no tickets on sale though).

Most IMAX screens don't seem to have times yet though. But it was supposed to have IMAX. Still has plenty of Dolby Cinema.

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 7:09 AM, JustLurking said:

This looks like a complete retread of the first film to me? New emotions kick the old ones out -> they make a mess -> old emotions find their way back -> emotions realise they have to work together is what this looks like to me. Not impressed.

Also, I still don't get where these emotions are on other people. The mom still doesn't have them even in this film. Do they just end up merging into the old ones by the end or something? There better not be some lame excuse like they disappear once people grow up or something, like adults don't feel stuff like embarassment or envy.

Yeah not gonna lie I do agree with this. And also no more Pete Docter so I doubt reception will be as good as the first one, which had like a 98% RT. . .

Edited by HummingLemon496

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

150m OW. 

You were completely correct about Dune 2 and I also think this movie will be big ($500M+ DOM), so I actually agree with this prediction. Though I guess we'll get a better idea when presales start in three days.

And also, if it opens to $150m DOM, there is no way it makes just $400M in total overseas. China doesn't matter because the first one only made like $10M total there. If it opens to $150M, then it will probably do 3x or so for $450M DOM, and then a ~42/58 split (same as first one) for ~$620M OS or so.

Edited by HummingLemon496

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah not gonna lie I do agree with this. And also no more Pete Docter so I doubt reception will be as good as the first one, which had like a 98% RT. . .

im not sure I agree with this. We don’t actually know the contents of the film itself. I don’t think it’ll be a retread of the original but I do think it’ll probably not reach the critical acclaim of the 2015 film, but be a good film in its own right. Pete Doctor is still on board, just not as director and every thing I’ve heard of this film gives me hope for something amazing

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

12 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

im not sure I agree with this. We don’t actually know the contents of the film itself. I don’t think it’ll be a retread of the original but I do think it’ll probably not reach the critical acclaim of the 2015 film, but be a good film in its own right. Pete Doctor is still on board, just not as director and every thing I’ve heard of this film gives me hope for something amazing

Pete Docter is involved with Inside Out 2 like he's involved with all Pixar movies. As executive producer presumably.

Anyways critical reception is kind of a crapshoot. Maybe something like Finding Dory or Incredibles 2? Not as high as the original but still really good.

12 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

You were completely correct about Dune 2 and I also think this movie will be big ($500M+ DOM), so I actually agree with this prediction. Though I guess we'll get a better idea when presales start in three days.

And also, if it opens to $150m DOM, there is no way it makes just $400M in total overseas. China doesn't matter because the first one only made like $10M total there. If it opens to $150M, then it will probably do 3x or so for $450M DOM, and then a ~42/58 split (same as first one) for ~$620M OS or so.

Considering it doesn’t have any competition until Despicable Me 4, I could see closer to 3.3 legs, so 495m domestic. Kung Fu Panda 4 reached a 3.2x multiplier. Heck, Little Mermaid (2023) did 3.1, which would be 465m for Inside Out 2

2 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Considering it doesn’t have any competition until Despicable Me 4, I could see closer to 3.3 legs, so 495m domestic. Kung Fu Panda 4 reached a 3.2x multiplier. Heck, Little Mermaid (2023) did 3.1, which would be 465m for Inside Out 2

Yeah idk exactly what the legs number will be but it'll need like a 1.9x multiplier to only make 400M overseas off a 150M DOM OW