YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

The one thing I do suspect since it's coming from Pete Docter's mouth is the Sparkshorts project is done. They really weren't much of a audience draw even at their most "controversial", and not as much fun to watch on average as an episode of Bluey.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This bs again:

I don’t why they keep focusing on Soul, Turning Red, and Luca, three acclaimed films that were released on Disney+, as misfires. The only misfires were Lightyear and releasing Turning Red on Disney+ at the last minute.

I think they just don’t want to admit that original animated films don’t make as much money anymore, and they want Pixar (as well as other Disney properties) to dominate the top 10 again. Blaming “childhoods” is just their justification for sequels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t why they keep focusing on Soul, Turning Red, and Luca, three acclaimed films that were released on Disney+, as misfires. The only misfires were Lightyear and releasing Turning Red on Disney+ at the last minute.

I think they just don’t want to admit that original animated films don’t make as much money anymore, and they want Pixar (as well as other Disney properties) to dominate the top 10 again. Blaming “childhoods” is just their justification for sequels.

Sad thing is they're running out of time to mine these old properties. Actors getting old, directors getting old.

I think the Time journalist was pretty tough on Pete Docter about this issue and he gave the usual non-answer.

I think Domee Shi might go along with whatever bs they're trying to do because she's already made her movie, but I wonder how some of the other directors, like Aphton Corbin, or Rosana Sullivan, feel.

Edited by cannastop

Still not sure what to make of this whole narrative they've been building, but it has given us the "autobiographical" label for the last bunch of Pixar's originals. And it does have a nice ring to it. Hope they still get to make a bunch of them. Weren't Enrico Casarosa and Domee Shi developing films as of recently?

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Sad thing is they're running out of time to mine these old properties. Actors getting old, directors getting old.

I think the Time journalist was pretty tough on Pete Docter about this issue and he gave the usual non-answer.

I think Domee Shi might go along with whatever bs they're trying to do because she's already made her movie, but I wonder how some of the other directors, like Aphton Corbin, or Rosana Sullivan, feel.

I have to wonder what the animation industry will look like if the major studios pull back on originals and focus mostly on sequels. That can’t be sustainable…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Elio again looks like a tough sell. I think we need Docter and Stanton etc helming originals while let the next gen take up sequels to big movies. I wonder what other sequels we could see. Wall-E or Coco or something else. 

Well they're doing the opposite of what you're saying. And I wouldn't want another Nemo movie not from Stanton anyways.

Just now, cannastop said:

Pete Docter is right though: Pixar movies shouldn't be remade into live action and if Inside Out 2 failed, they'd have to really change things.

If Inside Out 2 had failed, I could see Iger firing Docter as well. At least from the position of Pixar head and putting someone else. 

Anyway that is not happening. This becoming a smash hit(I am hopeful for 1B+ WW) would be great for Disney overall. They have not had one in pandemic era except for MCU movies. 

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well they're doing the opposite of what you're saying. And I wouldn't want another Nemo movie not from Stanton anyways.

yah. its easy to direct the sequels. I think its wrong for Stanton to take up Toy Story  of all movies. I think younger director can execute it once they have the script aced out. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Elio again looks like a tough sell. I think we need Docter and Stanton etc helming originals while let the next gen take up sequels to big movies. I wonder what other sequels we could see. Wall-E or Coco or something else. 

Sci fi animated films have a hard time doing well like Stange World. Girls don't care and boys have moved on to video games. Fantasy seems to do better.

16 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

How could the writer even say that? Did they conveniently forget the fact that these movies were pandemic movies and went directly to streaming? Plus the films resonated well with audiences. They are among the biggest titles on D+ in their respective years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

yah. its easy to direct the sequels. I think its wrong for Stanton to take up Toy Story  of all movies. I think younger director can execute it once they have the script aced out. 

Ed Catmull about 10 years ago said they were interested in doing half originals and half sequels...

I dunno. Kelsey Mann wanted to make an Inside Out sequel and it's his first feature as well. If that's what he wanted to do, fine. I just don't want them to get rid of originality altogether. Pete Docter and Andrew Stanton though don't' want to make originals by themselves and I don't think their concepts would really do much better than anyone else's.

To be honest I don't really want a WALL-E 2 or a Rata2-ee or w/e.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would love to see Remy again for sure. Other crazy stuff they could do drum hype is have characters across movies or franchises. How about some random type of Marvel or Star Wars character in Toy Story movie 🙂

Don't rush out sequels to those movies. Do a short and put them in front of films to gauge interest before deciding to do sequels.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What's funny is that Elemental wasn't even a bomb. Why are they so afraid of originality when they had an original that wasn't even a bomb.

Everyone was screaming bomb on opening weekend, but legs saved it. Surprised it opened so low though.