YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Chris Meledandri should be sending a basket of flowers to Iger's offices right now, because this piece ensures The Wild Robot has that Oscar in the bag.

Scandals rarely matter to academy voters. Across lost mainly because Heron was better and it was a non-Toy Story sequel. I imagine it’ll be the same for The Wild Robot.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems like Illumination is one of the only animation studios where you don’t hear about inhumane working conditions. 

Also, lol at the executives who blamed the failure of movies like Lightyear on queerness. 

I've heard that French labor laws might be preventing that from happening and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if Illumination also had crunch issues at times.

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems like Illumination is one of the only animation studios where you don’t hear about inhumane working conditions. 

Because no one cares about them enough to make a scandal out of it 

Also being based in France their working conditions aren't relevant to US labor issues. They can't be shamed the same way. 

Edited by AniNate

10 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

None of this is going to matter to voters. The academy really doesn't care that much about how people are treated behind the scenes, especially on animated movies. They only care if you embarrass them at the ceremony on live TV. This movie was always going to have real competition from The Wild Robot. 

Yeah, I don’t know why people’s minds jumped straight to the Oscars (when it’s an article about people losing jobs…), but what’s the bombshell here? “Animation industry sucks and Disney sucks too”? Literally everyone in industry knows that lmao.

If the goal was to sink this film’s chances then an article in September is not how you do it. Most people will forget by next week, assuming it even ends up on their radar. Trump will probably get “almost assasinated” three more times between now and the Oscars.

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Also, lol at the executives who blamed the failure of movies like Lightyear on queerness. 

The Minions are actually metaphors for the hundreds of real life overworked animators forced to serve their boss, Meledandri over at Illumination. Really despicable.

Spiderverse didnt lose because of scandals it Lost because it was part 1 and miyazaki was a legend none of that stuff matter to academy members which dont even respect animation 

It was Always gonna lose to wild robot since it was a non toy story sequel but for wild robot to beat it it needs At least boy and heron money 

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Studio Ghibli certainly no stranger to labor strife, but that's pretty par for the course in the anime industry as well. American indignation is a fruitless effort there.

Yeah that explain the low budget of some of beautiful animated movies it is Also Bad in japan industry 

Much like last year with Across it's going to taint some of my enjoyment of the film. A piece of art made by taking advantage of tons of workers and not even paying them in the end. A movie about anxiety that caused a lot of it for real people. It's just really upsetting, not even getting into the corporate nonsense of blaming queerness for the failure of an ill conceived movie that was doomed for failure from the very first trailer. You shouldn't need a chalkboard to explain what your movie is supposed to be (Lightyear). 

4 minutes ago, wattage said:

Much like last year with Across it's going to taint some of my enjoyment of the film. A piece of art made by taking advantage of tons of workers and not even paying them in the end. A movie about anxiety that caused a lot of it for real people. It's just really upsetting, not even getting into the corporate nonsense of blaming queerness for the failure of an ill conceived movie that was doomed for failure from the very first trailer. You shouldn't need a chalkboard to explain what your movie is supposed to be (Lightyear). 

To be fair, with this one, Pixar apparently tried to compensate for all those troubles and if I have to come up with another excuse, the entire studio was apparently going through anxiety while working on this one. Keep in mind, Disney itself was going through a proxy fight against Nelson Peltz (and pretty much Ike Perlmutter) at the time, so that might've put the studio under even more pressure.

If there's any silver lining at all, no better time than right after a humongous hit to push back on executive anxieties. Feel like there's still opportunities for inclusive representation both with Elio and Hoppers.

This might be my irrational fanboy giving-too-much-benefit-of-the-doubt-to-an-evil-corporation mentality talking but I want to believe Shi and Sharafian know what they're doing on Elio. Pixar could certainly use an extra leader to bounce ideas off of if Docter is in fact spread too thin, and Shi seems like just the kind of youthful and yes, non-male perspective they need. Really do hope Elio works out for her sake.