YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Cute that some of you think academy members care about any of this. 

The only reason this maybe won’t win an Oscar is because is not really great, just decent.

To be fair many animated movies won when they were only decent , Frozen , encanto , brave , Big héro 6 , toy story 4 it will only lose because it has a sequel stigma and the academy feels it already have rewarded it 

4 minutes ago, Selma said:

To be fair many animated movies won when they were only decent , Frozen , encanto , brave , Big héro 6 , toy story 4 it will only lose because it has a sequel stigma and the academy feels it already have rewarded it 

To be fair:

1. The biggest competitor for Frozen was The Wind Rises, which was going into bit of a sensitive history and that might've gave Academy cold feelt.

2. Toy Story 4 came out in 2019, which had no shortage of solid-to-great animated film, but not necessarily a true standout.

3. Encanto came out in a pretty competitive year, so it could've gone anywhere to begin with.

2 hours ago, YM! said:

Scandals rarely matter to academy voters. Across lost mainly because Heron was better and it was a non-Toy Story sequel. I imagine it’ll be the same for The Wild Robot.

Heron won because it was alleged to be Miyazaki's final film. And the subtext of the film is basically about his own legacy as a filmmaker. And Spider-Verse was a Part One with a major "to be continued" moment. 

Also, this wasn't an article from Variety or Hollywood Reporter or the New York Times. It was from IGN, of all places. Hell, for an anti-Pixar/Disney piece, it's even trending pretty low on Reddit, all things considered. The only ones who'll be talking about this article by the time Academy voting hits are people who were already talking about Pixar/Disney in this way.

Also, in regard to the kiss in Lightyear being why the film didn't do well? Yes and no. I know, I know, it's also an average film in quality (although I rewatched it and it holds up better than expected, next to also looking amazing), but the whole lead up to the film regarding the kiss was super weird. If I remember correctly, outlets reported on the kiss itself and how Disney wanted to cut it, and then they apparently did cut it, and then the studio fought back and got the kiss back in. That was the nature of film journalism in the time of COVID.

And then the film came out, and the climax hinges on Buzz staying in the future to allow his partner from the past (the one with the kiss) to get to live the life she ultimately lived. So, a lot of people saw this, at the time, as Buzz's plot servicing his gay, black partner, which pissed off a lot of people. And it's really hard to talk about what really was bad and good about this film because some people have very valid reasons for thinking it wasn't good, while others tend to circle back to the diversity, the kiss, etc. when pressed on the matter. Personally, I think the Zurg reveal was flimsy, at best, and making Taika Waititi's character the sole screw-up of the group was... a choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Heron won because it was alleged to be Miyazaki's final film. And the subtext of the film is basically about his own legacy as a filmmaker. And Spider-Verse was a Part One with a major "to be continued" moment. 

Also, this wasn't an article from Variety or Hollywood Reporter or the New York Times. It was from IGN, of all places. Hell, for an anti-Pixar/Disney piece, it's even trending pretty low on Reddit, all things considered. The only ones who'll be talking about this article by the time Academy voting hits are people who were already talking about Pixar/Disney in this way.

Also, in regard to the kiss in Lightyear being why the film didn't do well? Yes and no. I know, I know, it's also an average film in quality (although I rewatched it and it holds up better than expected, next to also looking amazing), but the whole lead up to the film regarding the kiss was super weird. If I remember correctly, outlets reported on the kiss itself and how Disney wanted to cut it, and then they apparently did cut it, and then the studio fought back and got the kiss back in. That was the nature of film journalism in the time of COVID.

And then the film came out, and the climax hinges on Buzz staying in the future to allow his partner from the past (the one with the kiss) to get to live the life she ultimately lived. So, a lot of people saw this, at the time, as Buzz's plot servicing his gay, black partner, which pissed off a lot of people. And it's really hard to talk about what really was bad and good about this film because some people have very valid reasons for thinking it wasn't good, while others tend to circle back to the diversity, the kiss, etc. when pressed on the matter. Personally, I think the Zurg reveal was flimsy, at best, and making Taika Waititi's character the sole screw-up of the group was... a choice.

Not to mention that the article isn't entirely anti-Pixar as it mentions that it at least tried to mitigate problems. Of course, it's better to prevent those problems from happening in the first place, but if you can't, you should at least try to mitigate them.

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

As far as Oscars go, I would say this is no longer a lock for a win at least, but I was thinking that before this piece came out

I’m going to be completely honest, I don’t think this will hurt its chances. It’s an extremely well received Pixar film, arguably their best movie since 2021 (not including Turning Red or Lighyear, since the former was actually nominated) and it’s a huge box office success. I suppose they could lose out to Wild Robot or Flow, but it’s unusual they’d snub Pixar 2 years in a row

but to be honest, Oscar chances aren’t the real meat here. Maaaaan Disney knows how to make you hate them 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

This part really pissed me off. 

Overworking your animators like they are in a sweatshop, just to throw away their work and not even use it in the movie. 

It got to a point where some had to wait so long while others crunched, one source says, that visual effects artists were starting their shots when the shots weren’t even fully animated. It’s a practice that’s referred to as “working dirty” – essentially, doing a large chunk of work ahead of time that you know will likely be thrown out, on the off chance that it will be used.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Eric the Marxist said:

Not to be mean, but I think the working  conditions under Pixar impacting this dumb kids movie’s awards campaign is by far the least of our concerns.

Well, I do find that more stimulating than just the same ol "how DARE they?!" boilerplate outrage every time news about industry labor issues comes out. I'm not really surprised by anything that came out in that article, and there's little in my power that I can do to change anything about it. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence it was intended for release when TAG began negotiations again, and I do hope it provides them the extra leverage they need to achieve a good deal, but if people don't really have anything more interesting to say than forced outrage for social approval then I would in fact prefer to pivot to Oscar chances.

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, I do find that more stimulating than just the same ol "how DARE they?!" boilerplate outrage every time news about industry labor issues comes out. I'm not really surprised by anything that came out in that article, and there's little in my power that I can do to change anything about it. I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence it was intended for release when TAG began negotiations again, and I do hope it provides them the extra leverage they need to achieve a good deal, but if people don't really have anything more interesting to say than forced outrage for social approval then I would in fact prefer to pivot to Oscar chances.

Its not fake outrage. Just people wishing the animators would be treated better by the billion dollar company. Disney can afford it but they got to save every dollar.

Also the whole making animated films proccess can be much better planned. We are getting glimpses of some of the horror stories of the massively rushed productions, so of course people will react.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Its not fake outrage. Just people wishing the animators would be treated better by the billion dollar company. Disney can afford it but they got to save every dollar.

Also the whole making animated films proccess can be much better planned. We are getting glimpses of some of the horror stories of the massively rushed productions, so of course people will react.

To be fair, I think it's implied in the article that Pixar usually plans their film properly and I can imagine that they did with this one, but had to rework certain things out of possible pressure to make sure that the film works out well for general audience members (I mean, Pixar reportedly didn't want another Lightyear situation where the film gets too somber). Remember, the entire studio was in a state of anxiety while making this and the infamous proxy batte that Nelson Peltz was running against Disney (that also involved him spitting out an abhorrent bullshit about Black Panther) might've not helped the matter either.

Edited by Block-Busted

25 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m going to be completely honest, I don’t think this will hurt its chances. It’s an extremely well received Pixar film, arguably their best movie since 2021 (not including Turning Red or Lighyear, since the former was actually nominated) and it’s a huge box office success. I suppose they could lose out to Wild Robot or Flow, but it’s unusual they’d snub Pixar 2 years in a row

but to be honest, Oscar chances aren’t the real meat here. Maaaaan Disney knows how to make you hate them 

Another thing to remember is that, at least by the sound of it, Pixar tried to mitigate the situation while this whole thing was going on.

Also, when Coco won Best Animated Feature Oscar, Pixar was going through something that was just as bad, if not worse than this - John Lasseter's #MeToo scandal.

I’m not surprised by Disney being a monster, but i’m surprised the movie is so well made considering all we know now. 

It’s clearly a scared movie, afraid of piss someone. But the animation is absolutely gorgeous, sometimes close to jaw dropping beautiful. 

We can easily see MCU is in the same shape because most movies looks rushed, but not with Pixar. The animators deserved better. 

I do hope whatever Disney asked for Elio works out and Domee Shi delivers a great movie that can perform well too after IO2 success. Maybe this way Pixar can get back some of their control over how to deal with their own staff, since the problem doesn’t seem to be Docter or anyone at Pixat itself.

• Like 2

Yeah the only silver lining I would say unlike the Spider-Verse story is at least it seems like the actual leaders of Pixar like Pete Docter and Jim Morris are doing the best they can under the circumstances. Nevertheless it is very disappointing if not that surprising and it's hard to see this change anytime soon unfortunately with how Disney operates. IO2 may have had the most pressure of any Pixar film since they were starting out in the late 90s and early 2000s.

And yeah no way this affects the Oscar chances Wild Robot was always gonna be the biggest challenger and with the critical acclaim it may do it though Dreamworks has always not had the best time at the Oscars.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m not surprised by Disney being a monster, but i’m surprised the movie is so well made considering all we know now. 

It’s clearly a scared movie, afraid of piss someone. But the animation is absolutely gorgeous, sometimes close to jaw dropping beautiful. 

We can easily see MCU is in the same shape because most movies looks rushed, but not with Pixar. The animators deserved better. 

I do hope whatever Disney asked for Elio works out and Domee Shi delivers a great movie that can perform well too after IO2 success. Maybe this way Pixar can get back some of their control over how to deal with their own staff, since the problem doesn’t seem to be Docter or anyone at Pixat itself.

The problem is greedy executives trying to treat a creative industry as just numbers, as usual in this industry. No, it isn't always the problem, but it quite often is.

4 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

To be fair, I think it's implied in the article that Pixar usually plans their film properly and I can imagine that they did with this one, but had to rework certain things out of possible pressure to make sure that the film works out well for general audience members (I mean, Pixar reportedly didn't want another Lightyear situation where the film gets too somber). Remember, the entire studio was in a state of anxiety while making this and the infamous proxy batte that Nelson Peltz was running against Disney (that also involved him spitting out an abhorrent bullshit about Black Panther) might've not helped the matter either.

Yeah, the article was very clear about Pixar being fairly responsible with the crew and with the productions deadlines until late 2023 when the Lightyear failure started to be used as excuse to pressure them to rework a lot of the movie, which seems to be when Docter entered to direct it.

I was quite sad reading that people at Pixar was actually trying to provide heath care and everything they could to help the animators during the crushed months. The whole thing just screams professionals not knowing what else to do to please Disney and kept existing. 

Docter did said weeks ago that he was worried that if IO2 didn’t work, Pixar would have to face a radical change to keep working, so the article is just explaining this in details, we just didn’t know how bad the thing is. Very revolting situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And as scummy as Disney is as a corporate company, even they might have at least a tiny bit of excuse given that 2023 was a rough year for them and needed a desperate hit with Inside Out 2 being the surest candidate for that, especially since they were going through a proxy fight that Nelson Peltz was waging that involved a turly abhorrent bullshit about Black Panther towards the end of March.