kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

So around $500M? 

Overseas / global

Mermaid has earned $185.4M overseas and $414.2M globally.

It’s looking likely to only finish with around half of, or less than half of, the global earnings of:

• 2017’s Beauty and the Beast ($1.26B)
  • 2019’s Aladdin ($1.05B)
  • 2010’s Alice in Wonderland ($1.02B)
  • 2016’s The Jungle Book ($967.7M)
  • 2019’s The Lion King ($968.5M)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Overseas / global

It’s looking likely to only finish with around half of, or less than half of, the global earnings of:

Lion King (2019) grossed $1.657 billion WW.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3321923073/

9 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Lion King (2019) grossed $1.657 billion WW.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3321923073/

It's from BOP. Not my handwritten blog. So, can't do anything if any info is wrong. Apologies for any inconveniences caused.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-transformers-rise-of-the-beasts-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse/

Edited by Issac Newton

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Overseas / global

As I was saying in the weekend BO thread:

BatB - Feat. Emma Watson

Aladdin - Feat. Will Smith

Alice - Feat. Johnny Depp + first 3D blockbuster to release after Avatar

TJB - Broke out in India in a historic manner and shattered records

TLK - Based on the most iconic animated film of all time

TLM has no pre-established OS star and is not based in a real-life country like India to unlock a sleeping market. Unlike TLK, it's one of the smaller Renaissance films in terms of original BO runs and while domestically Ariel is a big deal among Millennial women, her impact and popularity OS was always a question mark. And it's in the most crowded marketplace out of ALL of these films.

TL;DR This comparison is apples to oranges without taking several important factors into consideration.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, Spidey Freak said:

BatB - Feat. Emma Watson

TLM has no pre-established OS star and is not based in a real-life country like India to unlock a sleeping market. Unlike TLK, it's one of the smaller Renaissance films in terms of original BO runs and while domestically Ariel is a big deal among Millennial women, her impact and popularity OS was always a question mark. And it's in the most crowded marketplace out of ALL of these films.

TL;DR This comparison is apples to oranges without taking several important factors into consideration.

Even without India, The Jungle Book still was a huge overseas hit. Would have still grossed 560+ OS without anything from India.

• Like 1

I'm looking at OS response to remakes and audience really showed up for:

Maleficent (241M dom/518M OS)

Alice in Wonderland (334M/691M)

The Jungle Book (364M/603M)

TLK (543M/1.1B) 

Aladdin (355M/698m)

I think that BatB simply overperformed dom so ratio isn't that big although OS alone is (504M/761M)

Even movies that flopped or didn't hit these heights did better OS. 

On 6/12/2023 at 11:41 PM, Bob Train said:

Even without India, The Jungle Book still was a huge overseas hit. Would have still grossed 560+ OS without anything from India.

Jungle Book is a big outlier as far as initial reception though. It's the only one of those remakes that got geniune raves by critics and huge "gotta see it on a big screen" positive buzz. It's boxoffice was more driven by overwhelming reception than nostalgia for the IP or big movie stars. 

And on the other end on the spectrum is Alice that also had very little to do with nostalgia for the animated Alice movie. It was all Burton-Depp at the peak of their popularity plus 3D mania.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, Spidey Freak said:

BatB - Feat. Emma Watson

Honestly, I still don't know why people think Will Smith was a big draw for Aladdin.

The first domestic week of Aladdin was smaller than The Little Mermaid. Aladdin was a big success due to the legs, which Will Smith star power wouldn't help.

The start of Aladdin's box office in Overseas Markets aren't so different to The Little Mermaid (except particular cases like China or South Korea). So, I don't think Will Smith star power help there either.

Edited by Kon

13 hours ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I still don't know why people think Will Smith was a big draw for Aladdin.

The first domestic week of Aladdin was smaller than The Little Mermaid. Aladdin was a big success due to the legs, which Will Smith star power wouldn't help.

The start of Aladdin's box office in Overseas Markets aren't so different to The Little Mermaid (except particular cases like China or South Korea). So, I don't think Will Smith star power help there either.

What? Will Smith is one of the most popular actors in the world, and in 2019 he was also among the most appreciated one. How was he not a draw?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MG10 said:

What? Will Smith is one of the most popular actors in the world, and in 2019 he was also among the most appreciated one. How was he not a draw?

I've never denied Will Smith's popularity.

Remember I was answering someone who is implying Will Smith's star power is one of the main reasons why Aladdin has a much better box office than The Little Mermaid.

I dissagree because Will Smith's star power would benefit mainly the first weekend. However, Aladdin just have a really big box office due to its legs.

PS: At domestic level, The Little Mermaid (who has no star power) has bigger OW than Aladdin.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Remember I was answering someone who is implying Will Smith's star power is one of the main reasons why Aladdin has a much better box office than The Little Mermaid.

I dissagree because Will Smith's star power would benefit mainly the first weekend. However, Aladdin just have a really big box office due to its legs.

PS: At domestic level, The Little Mermaid (who has no star power) has bigger OW than Aladdin.

I definitely see your point but I'd argue that Aladdin's modest opening was mainly due to the bad marketing. The Genie's "first reveal" teaser with the unfinished CGI was heavily mocked and ridiculed by the internet when it came out. The only good trailer was probably the last one and by then it was already too late and people needed to be convinced to change their minds (which the good WOM did).

I'd say Will Smith's star power still helped even with the legs because the people whose minds were changed by the WOM would be even more convinced cause hey, at least Will Smith is in it too. Will Smith is also a 90s icon like Robin Williams and therefore easier to accept as the new Genie and that connection makes the remake more nostalgic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Yeah obviusly he isn't the only reason for a 500M difference but he certainly helped (can you imagine having instead, I don't know, Paul Rudd in his role?), and I don't understand why people who went especially thanks to him aren't "allowed" to go in the second or third weekend... 😅