GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I would not say 77m WW as a huge hit. OS gross wouldn't have even covered release costs !!! Plus it was a wide release and that carries marketing costs. Plus below is a concern. Both movies had mixed user ratings.  does not look like she can make crowd pleasers 

https://snipboard.io/qgzKYu.jpg

Nobody said Candyman was a huge hit. But it still made 3 times the movie's budget, and that's not accounting for other ancillary stuff. How is making 3 times more than what the movie cost in any conceivable way a "bomb"?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

Nobody said Candyman was a huge hit. But it still made 3 times the movie's budget, and that's not accounting for other ancillary stuff. How is making 3 times more than what the movie cost in any conceivable way a "bomb"?

that is BO gross. You dont get the full money. Smaller movies are lucky to get even half that amount. 

But its not a bomb. I guess some folks are spoilt by blockbuster BO and anything not grossing gazillion dollars are bombs. Nothing in between. 

As I posted above more than BO I would be concerned around user ratings. Of course genres are different and SH movies are lot more audience friendly. But as we saw from Oscar winning Chloe Zhao, not everyone translates their indy success into Blockbuster franchise and how much leverage these directors have within this franchise. Only time will tell. 

Anyway Marvels have ways to go. Let us wait until close to release before predicting doom or boom for it. 

8 hours ago, Eric Bear said:

seems like i started something from an off-hand comment. Want to know something Eric? I didn't even google how much Candyman made lmao.

Really though, the point is that they're getting an unproven director to direct a potential $1b movie. It's extremely risky and if The Marvels does poorly because of it's quality, you have to look back to this as a massive gamble and failure.

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

seems like i started something from an off-hand comment. Want to know something Eric? I didn't even google how much Candyman made lmao.

Really though, the point is that they're getting an unproven director to direct a potential $1b movie. It's extremely risky and if The Marvels does poorly because of it's quality, you have to look back to this as a massive gamble and failure.

It's not really a risk, Marvel has done this CONSTANTLY. I don't particularly rate the Russo's, but they had pretty much only been TV Sitcom directors (their Community paintball episodes RULE), and had pretty much no theatrical experience before they were picked for Winter Soldier. That kinda thing worked out for Marvel pretty well. 

Yeah, getting relatively unknown directors is common for those kind of projects. It's not something unique to Marvel, and to my estimation it's not something that makes it any less probable to succeed.

Besides, it's not in the directing department the past few Marvel films has been lacking anyway.

Edited by Dale Cooper