kayumanggi

SPEAK NO EVIL | 09.13.2024 | Universal | remake of Danish thriller | James McAvoy & Mackenzie Davis star | James Watkins writes & directs

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This was just ok. 

The adults are unlikeable and make so many dumb decisions, like extra dumb. It’s all a bit slow too and the pay off is pretty tame. 

2.5/5 

Maybe the themes of the original didn't translate very well here, but the point is to mock excessive politeness and cowardice to appear  rude. The danish movie was as much as thriller as it was dark satire. And it had very dark ending, which is changed here (I don't know to what extent, but I read about the change to make it less bleak in director's interview). The main characters do stupid things not because of lazy writing.

Edited by cinema pal

On 9/15/2024 at 8:26 AM, cinema pal said:

Maybe the themes of the original didn't translate very well here, but the point is to mock excessive politeness and cowardice to appear  rude. The danish movie was as much as thriller as it was dark satire. And it had very dark ending, which is changed here (I don't know to what extent, but I read about the change to make it less bleak in director's interview). The main characters do stupid things not because of lazy writing.

I think some of their decisions actually were lazy writing, resulting in laughs from the audience.  But I get the themes for sure. 

Parenting styles, generational trauma, keeping up with the Joneses. It had a lot going on, some of it was well done. 

This was fun. It definitely got laughs but it seems intentional to me, the whole thing has a slighly satire aspect to it until the climax hits.

My impression is that the people working on this movie dislike the danish one, and this is basically a response to that. 

That´s probably why this is more interesting than most remakes. It doesn´t feel like they´re changing things to please US audiences only and toning it down, they´re changing it because they have a strong disagreement with the commentary of the original. 

I think this ended up being slighly better than the danish version tbh, which is surprising. They´re both okayish tho.