kayumanggi

BARBIE | 809.4M overseas | 1445.6M worldwide

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

atleast in italy the 15th is a pretty bad day, people usually have some big family lunch or stuff like that, they don't go to the theater much.

the 15th barbie made 165K, today (exactly 7days after) should make more, like yesterday (a monday) alredy made.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

atleast in italy the 15th is a pretty bad day, people usually have some big family lunch or stuff like that, they don't go to the theater much.

my point was that because of 5 day holiday also sunday and monday should be better than usual

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

my point was that because of 5 day holiday also sunday and monday should be better than usual

no, at least in italy it's the worst week of the  year. Last monday it lost 48% from the monday before, yesterday it lose only 25% from  monday before (the 14th august). 

Barbie is the highest grossing film at the Irish box office ever

Barbie has broken Avatar's 14-year reign as the most successful movie in Irish box office history after it made €8,854,036 just one month and one day after its release.

The Greta Gerwig movie, starring Margot Robbie as the famous doll and Ryan Gosling as Ken, has also surpassed Titanic, which made €8,253,258 in Ireland after its release in 1997.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 5

40 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

no, at least in italy it's the worst week of the  year. Last monday it lost 48% from the monday before, yesterday it lose only 25% from  monday before (the 14th august). 

ok i got your point that last week wasnt good in italy, but it was holiday in many countries

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Is there any way of knowing if that dumb Twitter account reply and the ensuing controversy actually damaged Japan BO?

Barbie did ¥438,968,210 / 300,360 admits in 10-Days. 2nd WKend dropped by 50%

Barbie will probably not reach ¥1,000M to called it commercial success in Japan.

And talking about damage, Barbie took a strong hit per Demography results.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Is there any way of knowing if that dumb Twitter account reply and the ensuing controversy actually damaged Japan BO?

I doubt Japan was ever going to be interested in the first place, Barbie humor is not something Japan can find funny.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I doubt Japan was ever going to be interested in the first place, Barbie humor is not something Japan can find funny.

Interesting. Doesn't Frozen share MANY similarities with Barbie (goofy humor, strong and beautiful/cute leading ladies, empowering feminist message) though? And yet their BO fates couldn't be more different. 

• Disbelief 1

Barbie is a pure comedy.

i really doubt the young average japanese knows who is stallone, what is the godfather (and here is the filmbros typical movie) or even what is Rocky. Especially for the second part of the film i think you need a specifical cultural knowing to understand most of the jokes. So i'm not surprised in Asia it wasn't so big...frozen or top gun are really the kinda of movie with  universal themes everyone can understand, as james cameron movies. 

Comedies are of course the genre is hardest to sell in some cultures, sometimes even in Europe or South America. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Barbie is a pure comedy.

i really doubt the young average japanese knows who is stallone, what is the godfather (and here is the filmbros typical movie) or even what is Rocky. Especially for the second part of the film i think you need a specifical cultural knowing to understand most of the jokes. So i'm not surprised in Asia it wasn't so big...frozen or top gun are really the kinda of movie with  universal themes everyone can understand, as james cameron movies. 

Comedies are of course the genre is hardest to sell in some cultures, sometimes even in Europe or South America. 

Stallone and Schwarzenegger action movies where actually pretty big in Japan in the 80s, so much so that shonen manga series like Fist Of The North Star and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures where inspired because of it. 

It's just the type of humor that don't translate well outside of America and Europe.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Barbie is a pure comedy.

Stallone is very popular in Japan.Same other action star.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:32 AM, Bob Train said:

I just don't think Barbie translates that well outside of the west. It would've flopped in Japan either way.

The reviews from professional critics and youtube critics are quite positive here in Japan. But the brand recognition is just not what it is in the west, and I guess the critique of the movie is mainly Amercian centric so it doesn't carry the same wight as it does here. But the fun factor might have helped carried it a little, even though it ultimately didn't break out. Hollywood comedies just rarely breakout if at all here it seems.