Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

We all know that in 2025, Zaslav is going to sell WB the first chance he gets, lets just see how bad he will damage the brand before then. The slot in 2024 doesn't seem like it'll produce a single big hit aside from Joker 2 and that's if these films don't get delayed because of the writers strike.

I hate defending Zaslav but man I really don't understand why people have latched onto him specifically as the poster child for "horrible executives" when Bob Iger literally bragged about using AI recently in the mist of the writer's strike and other executives have done even more disparaging comments in regards to the strike. At least Zaslav, as disingenous as it may be, has put out PR "I hope the writers get a fair deal" statements.

Putting up Zaslav specifically as the one villain in the Hollywood ecosystem seems like an incredibly dumb notion to me as no matter who you replace him with, it'd probably be equal if not worse. If he gets kicked out he's probably gonna be replaced by someone even more cynical and it's not like things will improve at all. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Beef is the best show of the year (honestly maybe the best Netflix show ever?) and all the writer/director/star doing Thunderbolts is the one thing making me curious about it but even THAT doesn't make me genuinely excited. That team is such a wet fart line up.

They really need some people with powers and not just assassins and super soldiers. Sentry and Ghost are the only two with powers and I don’t know think they can fight evil Superman well. Throw in Red Hulk, Mysterio (cause he’s obviously still alive), Mordo (he hasn’t add anything to do), the bad guy from The Marvels, etc. They need to look different than Marvel’s Suicide Squad.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh The Marvels has a more uphill battle in understanding on who is in there from streaming. Kamala and Monica just appear out of nowhere to the blind eye whereas Endgame and Black Widow introduced the eyes of Falcon being Captain America with old man Steve giving him the Shield and Yelena living up to Natasha’s legacy. Apart for Isaiah Bradley and Val, I don’t think any show characters from the show returning and they can be explained via exposition and don’t have powers to confuse.

Kamala is my daughter, also I named my cat after her. She is a star in the making, just watch. I think once again people are underestimating Marvel Studios, which is absolutely nothing new. There are ways to introduce these characters for a larger audience without requiring them to watch the shows. Also the link between Carol and Monica is quite evident, with Monica being the daughter of Carol’s best friend. Monica was part of the first Captain Marvel film, and has quite a tragic story. I feel like other than the fact that hardcore Scarlet Witch fans didn’t understand that WandaVision was clearly Wanda’s heel turn, Multiverse of Madness enjoyed a lot of not just the multiverse hype, but the Scarlet Witch hype generated by WandaVision as well. 

Also, give me a Young Avengers: Children’s Crusade you cowards. Let the Maximoffs go into a crusade searching for Mother.

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Tbh The Marvels has a more uphill battle in understanding on who is in there from streaming. Kamala and Monica just appear out of nowhere to the blind eye whereas Endgame and Black Widow introduced the eyes of Falcon being Captain America with old man Steve giving him the Shield and Yelena living up to Natasha’s legacy. Apart for Isaiah Bradley and Val, I don’t think any show characters from the show returning and they can be explained via exposition and don’t have powers to confuse.

Yeah I'm hesitant on Cap 4 and Thunderbolts from a creative and "superhero fatigue" perspective, but I think if you just watch the movies, you should be fine. Thunderbolts is basically a Black Widow sequel and they'll probably have a monologue in the Cap 4 trailer where Sam's all "how can I be what Steve wanted me to be" and show that ending scene from Endgame to help make people remember what happened. The Marvels though? It's just an awkward as hell trailer if you aren't aware of what happens in the shows and know who the other two new heroes are.

My dad loves watching Marvel movies because he likes seeing superheroes punch stuff for two hours. But the only three shows he watches are Mandalorian, Ted Lasso and reruns of The Big Bang Theory. There's nothing in The Marvels that would get him excited or care about what's going on. He's never gonna watch these shows. He has no idea why these people have their powers swapped. What's the hook for guys like him? It's dumb! Transmedia storytelling is dumb!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Just saw a review for flash on YouTube and he states 'just saw the new batman film but sadly it had an hour long trailer for the flash attached'

He was actually joking...he liked the movie but I wonder if this is  how it's actually playing woth audiences 

Jmo

go watch it and see for yourself.

Audience scores are extremely high here in Asia, i watched it and loved it. Genuinely one of the best DCEU shows..

So many people here thrashing on it without even watching it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Unbelievable how the forum will somehow always let the MCU be the underdog 

At this point everyone's an under dog cause everything performing like junk.....the best portion  of the year so far with movies exceeding expectations is march/April and even then you get the horror show known as shaazam in the middle of it.....

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 1

Just now, 21C said:

I hate defending Zaslav but man I really don't understand why people have latched onto him specifically as the poster child for "horrible executives" when Bob Iger literally bragged about using AI recently in the mist of the writer's strike and other executives have done even more disparaging comments in regards to the strike. At least Zaslav, as disingenous as it may be, has put out PR "I hope the writers get a fair deal" statements.

Putting up Zaslav specifically as the one villain in the Hollywood ecosystem seems like an incredibly dumb notion to me as no matter who you replace him with, it'd probably be equal if not worse. If he gets kicked out he's probably gonna be replaced by someone even more cynical and it's not like things will improve at all. 

It’s because he has a name like a James Bond villain.

ZASLAV!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I feel like other than the fact that hardcore Scarlet Witch fans didn’t understand that WandaVision was clearly Wanda’s heel turn

The reason they “don’t understand this” is probably because it was nothing of the sort. She just got corruption whammied by the darkhold offscreen. Lazy AF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 21C said:

The rebranding of MAX was precisely to avoid diluting it though? HBO MAX, even before Zaslav, was filled to the brim with pointless content that was never worth the HBO name. If he wanted to protect the HBO brand, renaming the streaming service seemed like a good idea.

Also, The Idol can hardly be put 100% on Zaslav. The person most involved with its creation and development would be Casey Bloys, who's also been responsible for HBO's biggest hits. He banked on The Idol because Casey banked on it.  You think the solution would be to cut Casey too? You win some, you lose some. It's part of the game. 

The blame should be on Bloys not Zazlav for The Idol. Bloys should have not given Levinson and The Weeknd that much free reign on the project

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Unbelievable how the forum will somehow always let the MCU be the underdog 

Out of curiosity what are your predictions for the upcoming MCU movies?

9 minutes ago, 21C said:

Bob Iger got dragged to hell for those comments he made as well. I think what is overshadowing those comments is him destroying the clown fascist from Florida.

Also Zaslav only made those comments after he was booed off the stage during a graduation speech he was making.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

The reason they “don’t understand this” is probably because it was nothing of the sort. She just got corruption whammied by the darkhold offscreen. Lazy AF

Legion, Wanda was already an Avengers level threat on WandaVision. Wanda was on the wrong. She turned a whole city into her slaves lol. I love Wanda, I love the Scarlet Witch, but just I like Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Wanda fucked up. And fucked up big. That’s why her character is so interesting though.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think route to go for Marvel and Disney+ are more one offs like Werewolf by Night. Utilize obscure characters and concepts with absolutely no attachment to the grander universe or build up to a future project. 

No more demanding audiences to sit through 6 episodes of a show so they know who that character is in an upcoming film. No more forcing plot points because the show is either getting a film sequel or is connected to another movie. 

I honestly think Moon Knight could've been the template for what a Disney+ show could be if it was better. No important stakes to the larger universe and no concern with building up 5 different sequels or spin offs. It just let the audience watch a new character without them wondering if they're gonna be in the Avengers or another movie. 

• Like 2

Just now, Reddroast said:

The blame should be on Bloys not Zazlav for The Idol. Bloys should have not given Levinson and The Weeknd that much free reign on the project

Sam Levinson is total hack. But I’m telling you now: The Idol is the funniest show on television and a must-see for those that appreciate bad cinema