kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Huh:

Animation? Color me intrigued with this one. Sounds cool.

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

DC Studios - in a hole deeper than the North Atlantic Ocean after their latest Ginormous BOMB. Tearing down the old universe to build anew.

Marvel Studios - in a ditch with diminishing returns and declining movie quality. Their shows flopping left and right Lost their main gang in 2019. Just lost their best remaining director in James Gunn

Is the superhero era coming to an end?

People are claiming that Marvel Studios is on a ditch since Age of Ultron. Then it comes Marvels and does fine and people will keep the same non sense going. Then Deadpool 3 comes up and blows up and that’s because of Ryan Reynolds. Then Captain America: Brave New World comes and it blows up and the same crowd will say it’s luck and the lack of a multiverse aspect to the film. We’ve been dancing to this song for more than one decade now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s pretty much possible with Brave and the Bold. In fact I think it’s kinda obvious they are going this route, grey and blue suit or not,

Is it? The comic it's based on literally features a 10 year old kid holding a decapitated head and many ridiculously dark elements darker than anything shown in the Batman franchise so far. Having fantastical elements doesn't exclude the darkness; I think they should continue that dark tone in Brave and the Bold, as it's clearly what audiences have come to expect and want from the franchise. 

Edited by 21C

1 minute ago, 21C said:

Is it? The comic it's based on literally features a 10 year old kid holding a decapitated head and many ridiculously dark elements darker than anything shown in the Batman franchise so far. Having fantastical elements doesn't exclude the darkness; I think they should continue that dark tone in Brave and the Bold, as it's clearly what audiences have come to expect and want from the franchise. 

You clearly have a very paper thin understanding of Batman outside the films. If anything it astounds me that we didn’t get what actually makes Batman’s world and Gotham City cool earlier.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You clearly have a very paper thin understanding of Batman outside the films. If anything it astounds me that we didn’t get what actually makes Batman’s world and Gotham City cool earlier.

I'm extremely well-versed in Batman's comic history, which is why I can also confidently say that the tone in the Batman comics over the last 30 years has also been primarily grimdark. Batman comics have been fantastical + grimdark for a loong while now. And in fact fantastical + grimdark would be a pretty apt description for Morrison's Batman run, which Gunn explicitly stated is the primary inspirationn for Brave and the Bold. 

That's different from the movies of course, which have primarily been realistic + grimdark. 

Edited by 21C

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Huh:

Animation? Color me intrigued with this one. Sounds cool.

People are claiming that Marvel Studios is on a ditch since Age of Ultron. Then it comes Marvels and does fine and people will keep the same non sense going. Then Deadpool 3 comes up and blows up and that’s because of Ryan Reynolds. Then Captain America: Brave New World comes and it blows up and the same crowd will say it’s luck and the lack of a multiverse aspect to the film. We’ve been dancing to this song for more than one decade now.

Almost everyone has been praising Marvel’s formula for a decade now, with a few minor blips like Ultron. The late 2010s were dominated by Marvel, and the tide didn’t really start to turn on them again until Eternals, and then with Ant-Man 2 they officially exited their imperial era. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

I'm extremely well-versed in Batman's comic history, which is why I can also confidently say that the tone in the Batman comics over the last 30 years has also been primarily grimdark. Batman comics have been fantastical + grimdark for a loong while now. And in fact fantastical + grimdark would be a pretty apt description for Morrison's Batman run, which Gunn explicitly stated is the primary inspirationn for Brave and the Bold. 

That's different from the movies of course, which have primarily been realistic + grimdark. 

If you are so well versed, you clearly know that Morrison’s Batman run despite having fantastical elements, it’s actually pretty grimdark as well. Also, they are clearly doing their own thing, Dick Grayson won’t be Batman here, so while they are been inspired by Morrison’s Batman run, Gunn isn’t a Snyder to follow comics like they are bibles or storyboards to the films. It’ll be obviously a very loose adaptation of it. It’s silly to think Brave and the Bold won’t have grimdark elements just because of The Batman. I mean I came from the emo scene two decades ago so having an Emo Batman is wild, but there are several ways of making dark Batman stories with fantastical elements and also with - dare I say it - fun. Batman can be fun. Trust me. I’m also extremely well versed on pretty much both Marvel and DC Universes and let me tell you, these characters endure the test of time because there are several ways to tell their stories. This is clearly not Batman & Robin Redux, nothing that Gunn has told us could possibly lead anyone to think that.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

If you are so well versed, you clearly know that Morrison’s Batman run despite having fantastical elements, it’s actually pretty grimdark as well. Also, they are clearly doing their own thing, Dick Grayson won’t be Batman here, so while they are been inspired by Morrison’s Batman run, Gunn isn’t a Snyder to follow comics like they are bibles or storyboards to the films. It’ll be obviously a very loose adaptation of it. It’s silly to think Brave and the Bold won’t have grimdark elements just because of The Batman. I mean I came from the emo scene two decades ago so having an Emo Batman is wild, but there are several ways of making dark Batman stories with fantastical elements and also with - dare I say it - fun. Batman can be fun. Trust me. I’m also extremely well versed on pretty much both Marvel and DC Universes and let me tell you, these characters endure the test of time because there are several ways to tell their stories. This is clearly not Batman & Robin Redux, nothing that Gunn has told us could possibly lead anyone to think that.

I mean... yes, that's what I said? I said the Morrison's comics have been grimdark, ergo it's probably a good assumption to think that Brave and the Bold will be too but fantastical.

1 hour ago, MotionPictured said:

It says a lot then that even after "losing relevancy" that Jennifer Lawrence can open an R-Rated movie with $15m. And Margot Robbie at her peak can't open Babylon to $5m. Amsterdam only opened to $6.5m. Emma Stone's first movie after winning an Oscar was Battle of the Sexes. It opened to $525,000. Couldn't even make $1m.

It doesn't make sense to compare Lawrence to Julia Roberts in the 90s. Even Julia Roberts can't make those numbers today. Ticket to Paradise only opened to $16.5m and it was PG-13.

jfc neither amsterdam nor babylon were solely robbie (especially amsterdam) and both films got ravaged by critics. but yes, we all know she hasn't seen much BO success.

battle of the sexes' 500k OW you cite was limited release 21 theaters lol. the weekend after that it made 3.4M and even that was not a wide release at only 1.2k theaters.

she had solid runs on the favourite and cruella (where disney is paying her big time for the sequel).

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Almost everyone has been praising Marvel’s formula for a decade now, with a few minor blips like Ultron. The late 2010s were dominated by Marvel, and the tide didn’t really start to turn on them again until Eternals, and then with Ant-Man 2 they officially exited their imperial era. 

I don’t believe this non-sense. It’s too much mental gymnastics to ignore that Spider-Man: No Way Home came out one year and half ago. It’s the same song and dance, a Marvel Studios film doesn’t make as much as the earlier biggest one and there is a lot of wishful thinking it’s over, only to another major Marvel Studios blockbuster and prove that there isn’t such thing like Marvel Studios fatigue. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 will likely end up as the biggest film of the summer and the narrative of people claiming Marvel Studios is doomed feels a lot like Debbie Downers trying to make fetch happen.

39 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, count me in the "Muschietti will be gone from The Brave and the Bold by the end of the year" club after this brutal second weekend drop. I have no clue how Gunn will be able to convince the suits to keep Muschietti aboard after all this. Thankfully he's highly likely to find nice work afterwards, as he can either hop aboard the easy Netflix paycheck train or join Walter Hamada at Paramount.

Yeah I agree with this. Last week I was saying he’ll probably stay on, but now? Yeah he’s gone. 

he’ll still be fine, he’s just gotta do another horror pic or two.

32 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

DC Studios - in a hole deeper than the North Atlantic Ocean after their latest Ginormous BOMB. Tearing down the old universe to build anew.

Marvel Studios - in a ditch with diminishing returns and declining movie quality. Their shows flopping left and right Lost their main gang in 2019. Just lost their best remaining director in James Gunn

Is the superhero era coming to an end?

If we are then we are entering the live action anime era

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t believe this non-sense. It’s too much mental gymnastics to ignore that Spider-Man: No Way Home came out one year and half ago. It’s the same song and dance, a Marvel Studios film doesn’t make as much as the earlier biggest one and there is a lot of wishful thinking it’s over, only to another major Marvel Studios blockbuster and prove that there isn’t such thing like Marvel Studios fatigue. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 will likely end up as the biggest film of the summer and the narrative of people claiming Marvel Studios is doomed feels a lot like Debbie Downers trying to make fetch happen.

So you don’t think the MCU having to rely on non-MCU characters (Tobey and Andrew’s Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wolverine) to boost their franchise is a sign of a decline at all?

• Like 2