Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

36 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Indiana Jones possibly making less than Uncharted. I didn’t see that coming. 

It’s actually not that surprising if we could have known the middling quality ahead of time. This was kind of always set up for huge disaster if a fantastic script wasn’t pushing it. 

Kind of crazy to think about how much of a disaster Lucasfilm is now considering the three successes they had in a row with Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi. All critically acclaimed, all with really good box office runs. Just... what happened.

• Disbelief 1

Mangold will be alright. In his 30 year career his movies have either been box office hits, gotten critical acclaim or both. Indy will be the first one to have mediocre reviews and bad box office. He’ll rebound with his Bob Dylan movie next year (unless a SAG strike kills it) and then move onto the stuff he’s announced.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Kind of crazy to think about how much of a disaster Lucasfilm is now considering the three successes they had in a row with Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi. All critically acclaimed, all with really good box office runs. Just... what happened.

This is one where the start of the downturn can be pinpointed on one day - Christmas Day 2017. Till that day TLJ was tracking for Avatar or more and then it just died on Christmas Day by only increasing like 60% or so instead of the 100% increase everyone expected on Christmas Day. The TLJ box office run can easily be divided into pre and post Christmas Day 2017. After that moment, Jumanji became the default movie for families and audiences that holiday season. Within the next week, Jumanji caught TLJ and overtook it in the dailies.

• Like 9

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Mangold will be alright. In his 30 year career his movies have either been box office hits, gotten critical acclaim or both. Indy will be the first one to have mediocre reviews and bad box office. He’ll rebound with his Bob Dylan movie next year (unless a SAG strike kills it) and then move onto the stuff he’s announced.

This, plus the fact that Mangold has been known to get stuff done on time and in budget as well outside of, again, Dial of Destiny who's budget imploded due to COVID (it was done on time though). Every director has their stinker. It happens.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is one where the start of the downturn can be pinpointed on one day - Christmas Day 2017. Till that day TLJ was tracking for Avatar or more and then it just died on Christmas Day by only increasing like 60% or so instead of the 100% increase everyone expected on Christmas Day. The TLJ box office run can easily be divided into pre and post Christmas Day 2017. After that moment, Jumanji became the default movie for families and audiences that holiday season. Within the next week, Jumanji caught TLJ and overtook it in the dailies.

As much as I love The Last Jedi (my favorite Star War) it really did kill everything huh lol

9 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Eh... Swamp Thing will survive (aided a lot by the lower budget) but I don't see a scenario in which his SW film does.

Edited by 21C

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

As much as I love The Last Jedi (my favorite Star War) it really did kill everything huh lol

Pretty sure it was solo.

Another of things I can get past but han and chewie in the shower scarred ne

Edited by screambaby

14 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Mixed reaction to The Last Jedi led to a string of firings. The replacements on such short notice had no idea where to take the franchise.

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

The moment that Christmas Day number came in, everyone was in disbelief, literally no one thought it would be that low a jump. You can read the discussions here

• Like 3

Mangold ST film which looked really interesting but was skeptical about it happening even b4 Indy 5 disaster.

Same as the waititi one.

Don't know what's up with the acolyte .it's been years since it was announced ,have they started shooting and when is it releasing?

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It really did sadly. Phenomenal film too, remember walking out of the theater with a group of friends and all of us were like "that was literally the best thing Star Wars has done", like the air was electric. Then we went online lmfao.

The movie will age well I think but the short term fallout from it is just so fucking toxic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't know what's up with the acolyte .it's been years since it was announced ,have they started shooting and when is it releasing?

Filming wrapped on June 6th. It is set to be released next year, just didn't hear much about it during production which is usually a good thing. Quiet productions are smooth productions.

49 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

They really would have been better off just copying the plot of Uncharted 4 then whatever Lucasfilm cooked up. 

What I don't get is why they didn't get an appealing younger actor to pair with Harrison Ford. A Tom Holland type would've made so much sense and could've helped bridge the generation gap. Phoebe Waller Bridge is now several years removed from Fleabag (an acclaimed but kind of niche show) and she really hasn't done anything of note since. 

• Like 1