Kalo

Box Office Theory Forum’s Top 100 LGBT+ films of all time | a countdown 🌈 💗 | #40! page 6

I see Prayers for Bobby made a list. I’ve actually never seen it, but it’s an important film to my Mum. She watched it and its perspective and story really helped her navigate supporting two gay sons. 

The moment at the dinner table when she told us all about the film is a moment I’ll never forget for the rest of my life. It was absolutely beautiful. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2
  • Heart 4

On 8/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, Kalo said:

#97 TIE! - PART 2: My First Summer (2020) - Directed by Katie Found

100 Points | 1 List

My First Summer (2020) - IMDb

"Maybe we can start by breathing together."

1# Placements: 1

Country of Origin: Australia 

Language: English 

Awards: Nominee best indie film (AACTA)

Box Office: N/A

Availability: rent on Amazon Prime. Google Play, Apple TV, Youtube. 

Genre: Drama | Romance 

"My First Summer is an immersive bedazzled daydream of teenage girlhood, with all its highs and lows" - Alexandra Heller-Nicholas; ABC Radio (Australia) 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: N/A (4 reviews, all positive) 

METACRITIC: N/A

LETERBOXD: 3.9 out of 5

About the film

16-year-old Claudia lives a lonely existence on a remote property that all changes when a spirited girl named graces wanders into her garden.

What I know about the film

Honestly very little, I think I had seen the poster for the film before and thought it was a very pretty poster. after reading about what the film is about, it sounds like a sweet coming of age romance, so I will probably check it out eventually. 

My First Summer Movie Review- WLW Film Reviews

Cultural impact/Relevance 

Yet another first time director, Katie found won the jury award for best director for this film (LMILFF) actresses also won the jury ward  for best performances Markella Kavenagh and Maiah Stewardson (LMILFF). Katie Found also won best young filmmaker special jury award (MILGFF). furthers exposure of LGBT coming of age stories in Australia.

My sisters send hugs and kissses for this! Also shows the power of #1 on preferential ballot! :hug: 🥰

For everyone interested, you can watch it for free on Fshare. It's 1 hr 17 min long and to the point so easy peasy watch and rewatch.

In other news, X Men getting gay recognition it deserves is a massive W. :bravo:    Your move, Marvel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

My sisters send hugs and kissses for this! Also shows the power of #1 on preferential ballot! :hug: 🥰

For everyone interested, you can watch it for free on Fshare. It's 1 hr 17 min long and to the point so easy peasy watch and rewatch.

In other news, X Men getting gay recognition it deserves is a massive W. :bravo:    Your move, Marvel. 

There's way too much queer subtext in Charles and Erik's relationship and history not to have an adaptation where that becomes the actual text.

3 hours ago, toutvabien said:

There's way too much queer subtext in Charles and Erik's relationship and history not to have an adaptation where that becomes the actual text.

It should be the text cause even normies agree they are canon gay couple so there shouldn't be a backlash or at least one that actually creates damage. Charles and Erik are accepted. 

• Heart 1

#74 My Policeman (2022) - Michael Grandage

131 Points | 2 Lists 

My Policeman (2022) - IMDb

Tom: "You destroyed him."
Marion: "We destroyed each other."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Country of Origin: UK, USA

Awards: Winner of the performance award (Toronto International Film Festival)

Box Office: N/A

Availability: Prime Video original Steam on Prime Video

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 45%

METACRITIC: 50

LETERBOXD: 3.1 out of 5

About the Film:

My Policeman is a 2022 romance drama and based upon the 2012 novel of the same name by Bethan Roberts, it stars The film stars Harry Styles, Emma Corrin, Gina McKee, Linus Roache, David Dawson, and Rupert Everett. and is directed by Michael Grandage. It is inspired by the relationship between the writer E.M. Forster and Bob Buckingham.

What I Know About the Film:

I actually drove an hour to watch this movie in a theater even though I know I could watch it on streaming in a couple weeks, because I'm a movie geek and how often can you see Harry Styles in a 1950s movie as a gay policeman? I honestly don't understand why this movie got a mixed reception, I thought It was a very well made, touching and tragic movie, with good performances (yes I thought harry was fine in it). 

r pattinson harry styles and david dawson my #my policeman #s #romance  #drama WELCOME TO DAILYFLICKS @dailyflicks

Cultural Relevance / Impact:

Shows how dangerous it was to be a gay man in the 1950s and try to have a romantic relationship, boy have we come a long way since then, well probably always be known as that "gay police movie with Harry Styles in it" is the first film in to make the top 100 that actually has a "rotten" critic score. however considering it's 96% audience score, it would seem it was much better received  by general audiences.

• Like 2

#73 The Children's Hour (1961) - William Wyler

132 Points | 3 Lists 

The Children's Hour (1961) - IMDb

"I've been telling myself that since the night I heard the child say it. I lie in bed night after night praying that it isn't true. But I know about it now. It's there. I don't know how, I don't know why. But I did love you! I do love you!"

Country of Origin: USA

Awards: Nominated for 5 Oscars, including best supporting actress Fay Bainter, 3 Golden Globe noms (best Actress Shirley MacLaine, best supporting actress Fay Bainter and best director William Wyler) 

Box Office: $3m 

Availability: Rent on Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play

Genre: Drama 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 80%

METACRITIC: 49

LETERBOXD: 4.0 out of 5

The Children’s Hour is a biting (though somewhat muted) condemnation of the corrosive natures of homophobia and hatred, and its all-too-inevitable conclusion seals it as a crushing –and necessary– piece of cinema.- Joe Muldoon, Battle Royale With Cheese

About the Film:

The Children's Hour (released as The Loudest Whisper in the United Kingdom) is a 1961 American drama film produced and directed by William Wyler from a screenplay by John Michael Hayes, based on the 1934 play of the same title by Lillian Hellman. The film stars Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, and James Garner, with Miriam Hopkins, Fay Bainter (in her final film role), and Karen Balkin.

What I Know About the Film:

I have heard about this film for a while now and really need to watch it, it is one of the first mainstream american films made to directly address the topic of homosexuality, and as well as the homophobia that surrounded it back then, and sadly to a lesser extent still does today. I just watched the apartment, and it made be a big fan of Shirley MacLaine and nothing more really needs to be said about Audrey Hepburn.

The Children's Hour (1961) - IMDb

Cultural Relevance / Impact:

Although it would be considered dated today, The Children's hour, showed a turning point in the publics views on homosexuality and lesbianism, in the 1950s it was a taboo topic and LGBT people were mostly treated with hostility, and in the 1960s it started moving towards that of sympathy although many still viewed it as a "mental illness" I am a frim believer in keep history in tack even if the views seem dated or even offensive today, because if we can't remember the past how are we ever to grow in the future. this film was released in 1961. ironically the same year as the British film "Victim" which both directly were about homosexuality. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kalo said:

#73 The Children's Hour (1961) - William Wyler

This scene alone is why I included this movie in this list. It does more than any other Hollywood movie could and would address this issue for it's time and for a good amount of time after it was made. It's probably the first movie to point a finger at society and say that is the reason homophobia exists and internalised homophobia stems from that. Honestly, after watching this again I probably would have moved it up on my list. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

#72 I Love You Phillip Morris (2009) - Glenn Ficarra, John Requa

133 Points | 5 Lists 

I Love You Phillip Morris (2009) - IMDb

"Enough Romance, let's Fuck!" 

Awards: Critics choice Award: Best Comedy 

Box Office: $2m Dom $20.7m total 

Genre: Comedy | Drama | Crime | Romance 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 71%

METACRITIC: 65

LETERBOXD: 3.4 out of 5

"With a solid script and daring performances, the film is enjoyable and will inevitably become a cult classic in spite of some of its uneven gags"

About the film: 

I love you Phillip Morris, is a 2009 English-language French black comedy film[2] based on a 1980s and 1990s real-life story of con artist, impostor and multiple prison escapee Steven Jay Russell, as played by Jim Carrey. While incarcerated, Russell falls in love with his fellow inmate, Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). After Morris is released from prison, Russell escapes from prison four times to be reunited with Morris. The film was adapted from the 2003 book I Love You Phillip Morris: A True Story of Life, Love, and Prison Breaks by Steve McVicker.[3] The film is the directorial debut of John Requa and Glenn Ficarra.

What I Know About the film: 

I saw this movie quite along time ago when I watched this movie, and I remember it being quite funny, and a bit crazy, I love Jim Carry and Ewan McGregor, and they are both great in this crazy semi-bio pic about a gay con man. 

Cultural Impact / Relevance 

The film had trouble getting a theatrical release because of it's explicit gay sexual content and had to be re-edited before finding a distributor with  Consolidated Pictures Group. the film showcases real diverse stories about people in the LGBT community showing that they are just as complex and morally complicated as everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

#71 Victor/Victoria (1982) - Directed by Blake Edwards

135 Points | 2 Lists 

Victor/Victoria (1982) - IMDb

Victoria: How long have you been a homosexual?
Toddy: How long have you been a soprano?

Top 5 placements: 1

Country of Origin: UK, USA

Language: English, French

Awards: 7 Oscar nominations, including 1 win (Best Music, original score, Henry ManciniLeslie Bricusse)

Box Office: $28.2m, 5 Golden Globe noms including 1 win (Best Actress Julie Andrews) 

Genre: Comedy | Music | Romance 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

METACRITIC: 84

LETERBOXD: 3.8 out of 5

"Victor Victoria is a marvelous mixture of genders, a blatant attack on sexual attitudes that is both challenging and hilarious." - Bob Thomas, associated press. 

About the film: 

Victor/Victoria is a 1982 musical comedy film written and directed by Blake Edwards and starring Julie Andrews, James Garner, Robert Preston, Lesley Ann Warren, Alex Karras, and John Rhys-Davies. The film was released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, produced by Tony Adams and scored by Henry Mancini, with lyrics by Leslie Bricusse. Victor/Victoria was adapted as a Broadway musical in 1995. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won the Academy Award for Best Original Score. It is a remake of the 1933 German film Victor and Victoria.

I remember watching part of this movie, with my parents or sisters maybe? I think I was like 12 or 13 I think and they were pretty homophonic (still kind of are sadly) at the time and turned it off shortly after figuring out what it was about, drag was never really my thing, so I didn't really peruse trying to watch it again, now of course I'll watch just about anything and I don't have the same prejudice towards drag as I did as a teenager, and I love Julie Andews and Robert Preston so I definitively  need to watch this at some point 

Being released in 1982 Victor/Victoria was one of the first mainstream American films to depict homosexual characters in a leading role. although it is a remake of a 1933 German film titled Victor and Victoria (although I'm not sure how prominent the LGBT themes were), being known mostly for family friendly musicals this film was bit of a change of pace for Julie Andews and Robert Prseton, having more mature and controversial themes, it ending up paying both as it received critical acclaim and earned them both Oscar Nominations, as well as a golden globe win for Julie Andrews and a best Picture nom (GG). it was also a sizable hit grossing $28m on a $15m budget about. about $86m dollars today.

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

#293-#281

Spoiler

#293 Funeral Parade of Roses (1969) - 15 Points average placement: 60

Funeral Parade of Roses (1969) | MUBI

#292 Fire (1996) - 15 Points average placement: 58

Film Review: Fire —On Queering Love And Beyond

#292 We the Animals (2018) - 15 Points Average placement: 58

We The Animals: A beautifully made coming-of-age movie – The Irish Times

#290 In From the side (2022) - 15 Points average placement: 57 

Rugby gay | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgik

#289 Burnt Money (2000) - 15 Points average placement: 56 

films — PLATA QUEMADA (Burnt Money) — 2000 dir. Marcelo...

#289 Another Country (1984) - 15 Points average placement: 56

Another Country (1984) | MUBI

#287 Clue (1985) - 15 Points average placement: 43 

Clue-1985 GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

#286 Go Fish (1994) 15 Points average placement: 42 

Go Fish (1994) dir. Rose Troche // BOSTON HASSLE

#286 Precious (2009) - 15 Points average placement: 42

Precious (2009) | MUBI

#284 Free Fall (2013) 15 Points average placement: 41

king of the lost boys — Freier Fall (2013) dir. Stephan Lacant

#284 Parallels Mothers (2021) 15 Points average placement: 41

Parallel Mothers Madres Paralelas GIF - Parallel Mothers Madres Paralelas  Pedro Almodovar - Discover & Share GIFs

#282 Stage Mother (2020) - 15 Points average placement: 21

Stage Mother' Review

#281 Soapdish (1991) - 15 Points average placement: 15

Soapdish (1991) directed by Michael Hoffman • Reviews, film + cast •  Letterboxd

• Like 3

#70 Cloud Atlas (2012) - Directed by Tom Tykwer Lilly Wachowski Lana Wachowski

136 Points | 5 Lists 

Cloud Atlas (2012) - IMDb

"Fear, belief, love phenomena that determined the course of our lives. These forces begin long before we are born and continue after we perish"

Top 10 placements: 1

Country of Origin: USA, Germany 

Awards: 1 Golden Globe Nomination (Best original score), 3 critics choice award nominations, including 1 win (best makeup)   

Box Office: $27.1m dom $130.5m WW 

Genre: Comedy | Music | Romance 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 66%

METACRITIC: 55

LETERBOXD: 3.4 out of 5

"Cloud Atlas will confound and maybe even aggravate some unwilling to, quite simply, “go with the flow.” But others will find what few have: a bold, technically awesome, and thematically enduring picture whose arrangement and ambition are unprecedented".- Brian Eggert, Deep Focus Review. 

About the film: 

Cloud Atlas is a 2012 epic science fiction film written and directed by the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer.[8] Based on the 2004 novel by David Mitchell, it has multiple plots occurring during six eras in time, with the cast members performing multiple roles.

I remember seeing the trailer for this film when it came out and thought it looked epic, and gorgeous, something like this film has never really been done before. telling 6 different stories 6 timelines, with mostly the same cast in different roles, sometimes gender swamped and even race swamped. it's so out there it almost sounds silly. does everything in this film work? no, it's kind of a mess at parts and I think it's very ambitious film that can't quite capture what it is trying to say, but it is a beautiful looking film and the one story that does stand out is the gay tragic romance story told, which was hauntingly romantic and SPOLIER alert! incredibly sad. and by far the best sequence in the film. the score is a masterpiece of composition as well and I still listen to it quite regularly. it has been a long time sense I watched it so I really need to check it out again at some point. 

The Wachowski sister's are best known for their "Matrix" films, but this may just be the most epic in terms of scale made for a reported $128m dollars the film was a massive flop barely making it's budget back with $130m worldwide. when it was released and received mixed to favorable reviews. most praising the ambitious scope of the film, visuals, acting make-up and score. but there were some criticisms the script being a bit messy. it has overtime however seemed to have aged fairly well and has a considerable cult following. 

• Like 3

HONORABLE MENTIONS PART 2

#108 90 Points  - 4 lists 

The Boys in the Band (1970)

The Boys in the Band (1970) | Mart Crowley's ground-breaking queer drama  still has the power to shock! | Kultguy's Keep

The Boys in the Band was released in 1970 and is based on the 1968 off-Broadway play of the same name, it follows a group of gay friends celebrating a birthday party, and things get a little out of hand when one of their old "straight" friends from college pops in for a visit. it is considered a milestone in film history for being one of the first films to revolve around all gay characters the film garnered critical praise. and I hated it.

Every character is cruel to each other, they are unlikable, they're obnoxious, they're selfish, self loathing and the film spreads the very toxic message that you can't be gay and happy. I think maybe if it was made in such a play like "heavy talking monologue way they could have made it a bit more tangible. but yeah, I do not like this film, but it is very well acted and pretty well made. but yeah it's message is terrible, granted it came out in 1970, when there was severe prejudiced against LGBT people. so I can forgive it little for it's rather grime take on society. but this film was re-made in 2020. with an all out gay cast, and does nothing to mix this message so that film is even worse imo. this movie did just miss out on the top 100 so maybe others had my same sediment about the film. 

#107 - 93 Points 

The Man With the Answers (2021) 

The Man with the Answers Links | THE CINESEXUAL

Top 5 placements: 1

This movie was only on 1 list, but being at #4 means they really really liked it. it is a road trip movie taking place mostly on the Greek coast, I was kind of surprised that most of the spoken langue of the film is actually in English. Victoras is trying to make a trip back to his mother when a stranger the free spirited Mathias, who convinces him to take him along.

I rather liked this movie, it wasn't my favorite film my any means, but it's a cute story with some sexy scenes, I think I almost had it in my top 100 and it just missed out. 

🎬 filmgifs 🎞 — scruffyobiwan: The Man with the Answers (2021)...

• Like 3

#69 Law of Desire (1987) - Directed by Pedro Almodóvar

137 Points | 4 Lists 

Law of Desire - Rotten Tomatoes

"It's not your fault if you don't love me and its not my fault if I love you."

Country of Origin: Spain 

Language: Spanish 

Awards: San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival Winner best feature 

Box Office: $99.7k

Availability: Watch on MUBI, Rent on Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play

Genre: Comedy | Thriller | Drama

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 100(out of 13 reviews)

METACRITIC: N/A

LETERBOXD: 3.8 out of 5

What it lacks in depth, 'Law of Desire' makes up in surface energy, with a lively cast, a turbulent plot and a textbook-worthy collection of case histories., Janet Maslin, New York Times.

About the film: 

Pablo, a successful film director, disappointed in his relationship with his young lover, Juan, concentrates in a new project, a monologue starring his transgender sister, Tina. Antonio, an uptight young man, falls possessively in love with the director and in his passion would stop at nothing to obtain the object of his desire.

I watched this movie not too long ago, last year I think, and I rather liked it, it was a bit soap-opera-y. but it's interesting. and seeing Antonio Banderas young, gorgeous, and playing a gay man was not a bad fantasy at all, I have still only seen 2 Pedro Almodóvar films and this would not be the one that makes me want to watch all of his films, Pain & glory would however as it is a magnificent film.. but I may be able to talk about that later.

Showcases an Spanish 1980s LGBT centered stories with real talent behind, that would go on to be major names in the industry later on. was historical significant at the time for being one the first mainstream LBGT centered films in Spain. 

oh what a circus — Law of Desire (1987), dir. Pedro Almodóvar

• Like 3

Placements so far: 

Spoiler

#100 Plan B (2010) 96 Points

#99 Suavage / Wild (2018) 99 Points

#98 A Special Day (1978) 100 Points

#98 My First Summer (2020) 100 Points

#96 The Watermelon Woman (1996) 100 Points

#95 Can You Ever Forgive Me (2018) 100 Points

#94 Crash (1996) 103 Points 

#93 The Servant (1963) 103 Points 

#92 Rope (1948) 103 Points

#91 Rebel Without a Cause (1955) 104 Points

#90 Dallas Buyers Club (2013) 108 Points 

#89 Joyland (2022) 109 Points

#88 Other People (2016) 109 Points 

#87 The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018) 115 Points

#86 In & Out (1997) 115 Points 

#85 Out in the Dark (2012) 116 Points

#84 Tropical Malady (2004)118 Points

#83 The Long Day Closes (1992) 119 Points

#82 X-Men Days of Future Past (2014) 120 Points 

#81 Book Smart (2019) - 120 Points

#80 Hawaii (2013) - 121 Points

#79 Strangers on a Train (1951) 124 Points

#78 Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - 124 Points

#77 Bad Education (2004) - 125 Points

#76 Shelter (2007) - 130 Points 

#75 Red, White & Royal Blue (2023) - 130 Points

#74 My Policeman (2022) - 131 Points

#73 The Children's Hour (1961) - 132 Points 

#72 I Love You Phillip Morris (2009) - 133 Points

#71 Victor/Victoria (1982) - 135 Points 

#70 Cloud Atlas (2012) - 136 Points 

#69 Law of Desire (1987) - 137 Points 

Decades so far:

Spoiler

2020s: 4

2010s: 12

2000s: 4

1990s: 4

1980s: 2

1970s: 1

1960s: 2

1950s: 2

1940s: 1

• Like 1

#68 Of An Age (2023) - Directed by Goran Stolevski

140 Points | 2 Lists 

Of an Age | Full Movie | Movies Anywhere

"My beautiful boy."

Country of Origin: Australia 

Awards: N/A (did not receive a release in the US until 2023, so most awards haven't happened for it yet)

Box Office: $557k

Availability: Rent on Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play AMC on Demand. 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

METACRITIC: 69

LETERBOXD: 3.7 out of 5

A profoundly moving film about the beauty and the horror of what it means to be seen for the first time, to love for the first time, and how the past and future are constantly informing each other.- Katie Walsh, Tribune News Service.

About the film: 

Of an Age is a 2022 Australian romantic drama film written and directed by Goran Stolevski. The film stars Elias Anton as Kol, a Serbian immigrant in Australia who enters a brief but intense romance with Adam (Thom Green), the brother of his ballroom dance partner Ebony (Hattie Hook). 

Of an Age was released in the United States by Focus Features on 17 February 2023, and later in Australia by Roadshow Films on 23 March 2023

Of An Age film is a tender and romantic Melburnian treat | ScreenHub  Australia - Film & Television Jobs, News, Reviews & Screen Industry Data

I saw this movie at an art house theater this February, And I thought it was fantastic. It is director Goran Stolevski's second feature length film. it and its hard to tell. it's incredibly romantic, intense and beautiful film to watch, it is one of my favorite films of 2023. and one of the best gay romance films I've ever seen. if you haven't seen it yet. please check it out. 

The film premiered on 4 August 2022 at the Melbourne International Film Festival. It was subsequently screened at CinefestOZ, where it was the winner of the Best Film Award. it was released in the US on February 17th in the us and garnered critical acclaim with an 86% positive reviews on rotten tomatoes. it continues to show that Australia is a major player for rich, LGBT related films and content and put's director Goran Stolevski on the map as an up and coming director and one to watch.

Note being released on February 2023. makes Of an Age the third newest release to make the top 100. 

• Like 2

#67 Flee (2021) - Directed by Jonas Poher Rasmussen

140 Points | 3 Lists 

Flee (2021) - IMDb

#1 Placement: 1 

We have no idea what's going to happen. to us. Nobody tells us anything. The journalists come and film us. We hope something will happen, but no. They go home to make TV programmes... But nothing really happens.

Country of Origin: Denmark, Estonia, Finland 

Language: Danish, French, English 

Box Office: $712k 

Awards: Flee was nominated for 3 Oscars, best picture in three different categories 

Availability: Watch on Hulu, Rent on Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play AMC on Demand. 

Genre: Documentary | Animation  

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

METACRITIC: 91

LETERBOXD: 4.2 out of 5

"This is a triumph-of-the-human-spirit story as dramatic as the most finely wrought melodrama, with flashes of vintage newsreels reminding us that it is all “real”.
Mark Kermode, Observer (UK).

About the film: 

Flee (Danish: Flugt) is a 2021 adult animated documentary film directed by Jonas Poher Rasmussen. An international co-production with Denmark, France, Norway, and Sweden, it follows the story of a man under the alias Amin Nawabi, who shares his hidden past of fleeing his home country of Afghanistan to Denmark for the first time. Riz Ahmed and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau serve as executive producers and narrators for the English-language dub version.

The world premiere of the film was at the 2021 Sundance Film Festival on January 28, 2021, where it won the Grand Jury Prize in the World Cinema Documentary section. It was released in theaters in the United States on December 3, 2021, by Neon and Participant.

Flee Neon GIF - Flee Neon Sundance - Discover & Share GIFs

I just watched this movie, like 2 nights ago. and I am hitting myself in the head for not watching it before this countdown, it had been on my radar forever, but I am terrible at actually getting around to watching documentaries, but this film does not even feel like a documentary, it is a very person story that is an emotional roller-coaster ride that also feels epic, I have never seen a film that shows what it is like to be a refugee in a foreign country with such authenticity. this movie is animated and and aliases are given to protect the identities of the people it is telling the story about. this is real, it really happened. the animation is simple, but it gives the film a flair that isn't usually present in documentaries, also Amin (the alias for the protagonist of the story) is gay, but it's not really even the main focus of the documentary, though it is focused on. this story is crazy, heartbreaking and should be watched by everyone, it would have made my top 100 if I had seen it, and I would have listed it high. 

The film received widespread acclaim from film festivals and critics, with critical praise for animation, story, thematic content, subject matter, and LGBT representation. It also incorporates archival film footage of events in Afghanistan from the time Amin fled. The film was frequently ranked one of the best films of 2021, and garnered numerous accolades, mainly for animated and documentary categories including Best Feature Film at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival and Best Animated Feature — Independent at 49th Annie Awards, both making the first animated documentary film to win.

Note: Flee is the first film in the top 100 to receive a #1 placement, and appear on more than 1 list. 

• Like 2

#66 My Beautiful Laundrette (1985) - Directed by Stephen Frears

141 Points | 4 Lists 

My Beautiful Laundrette 1987 U.S. One Sheet Poster

Country of Origin: UK

Language: English, Urdu

Awards: 1 Oscar Nomination (Best Screenplay) 2 BAFTA Nominations (best screenplay and best supporting actor, Saeed Jaffrey).

Box Office: $2.5m

Genre: Drama | Comedy | Romance 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

METACRITIC: 75

LETERBOXD: 3.5 out of 5

A brutally funny social comedy about the racial and social consequences of a Pakistani and an Englishman going into business and becoming lovers. -Catherine Rambeau, Detroit free press.

About the film:

My Beautiful Laundrette is a 1985 British romantic comedy-drama film directed by Stephen Frears from a screenplay by Hanif Kureishi. The film was one of the first films released by Working Title Films. The film is set in London during the Thatcher years, as reflected in the complex, and often comical, relationships between members of the Pakistani and English communities. The story focuses on Omar, played by Gordon Warnecke, a young Pakistani man living in London, and his reunion and eventual romance with his childhood friend Johnny (played by Daniel Day-Lewis), now a street punk. The two become the caretakers and business managers of a launderette originally owned by Omar's uncle Nasser.

DAILY LGBTQ — rupert-giles: My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

I saw this movie a year or two ago, and It was a very unique premise and it was interesting to see Daniel Day Lewis in one of his early film roles, (where he was brilliant of course). I remember liking this movie, and it's pretty sexy but I felt there was something missing for me to truly love it. maybe I need to watch it again. 

being released in 1985, it is one of the first films to show an interracial gay relationship and it certainly was the first to center around running a Laundrette. the film has received acclaim from critics holding a 98% positive reception. It was nominated for best screenplay at the Oscars.   

The British Film Institute ranked My Beautiful Laundrette as the 50th greatest British film of the 20th century. The film was adapted into a stage play in 2002 and 2019.

• Like 2

#65 The Kids are All Right (2010) - Directed by Lisa Cholodenko

142 Points | 5 Lists 

The Kids Are All Right (2010) - IMDb

"Laser: Why'd you donate sperm?
Paul: It just seemed like a lot more fun than, uh, donating blood."

Top 10 placements: 1

Awards: Nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture, best Actress Annette Bening, best Supporting actor Mark Ruffalo and best original screenplay: Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg.

Box Office: $20.8m Dom, $34.8m WW.

Genre: Drama | Comedy 

Reviews;

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

METACRITIC: 86

LETERBOXD: 3.3 out of 5

"Together the performances mark the perfect recipe in a beautifully written story is both funny in the most surprising parts and touching when it needs to be."- Candice Frederick, Reel Talk Online

About the film: 

The Kids Are All Right is a 2010 American comedy-drama film directed by Lisa Cholodenko and written by Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg. It is among the first mainstream movies to show a same-sex couple raising two teenagers. A hit at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, it opened in limited release on July 9, 2010, expanded to more theaters on July 30, 2010.

The Kids Are All Right - How Did You Meet? on Make a GIF

I saw this movie along time ago, and remember liking it quite a bit, it's performances are top notch and it gives a rather unique look at two lesbians' raising two teenagers, it's very Oscar baity in checking off all the boxes of films that they seem to eat up. but I still really enjoyed it, I know some people took issue with some ethical aspects of the film aka woman can't truly be lesbians, but this kind of stuff happens all the time, and sexuality is fluid. I do not considered myself 100% gay. it's more like 70% to 30%. so there.

The film was released to wide acclaim from critics, with Bening receiving widespread praise for her performance. Rotten Tomatoes reports that 92% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 227 reviews, with an average rating of 7.80/10. The site's consensus is that "Worthwhile as both a well-acted ensemble piece and as a smart, warm statement on family values, The Kids Are All Right is remarkable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1