CJohn

FLOP WEEKEND THRE4D | EXPEND4BLES GIG4BOMBS WITH 8.0M OW | HORROR WINS, THE REST LOSES | The Post-Bomb Venice Thread and Pre-Bomb Creator Thread | WE BOMBING, BOYS!

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Trolls will annihilate Wish.

I actually think so, too (although "annihilate" might be a bit strong - I'd just say Trolls will outgross Wish).  Music is selling this fall, and I think the N Sync thing will catch on as the next "music" movie.  It's gonna be the Thanksgiving choice, I think, b/c it's multi-generational for grandmoms, moms, and kids...

Edited by TwoMisfits

‘The Nun 2’ Puts ‘The Expendables’ In Detention At Box Office In What’s Shaping Up To Be A Low Weekend For 2023 At $52M

SUNDAY AM: New Line/Warner Bros is calling the third weekend of The Nun 2 at $8.4M and Lionsgate is calling Millennium Media’s Expendables 4 at $8.3M. While some will argue that’s a tie, it ain’t because of the fact that rival studios have a farther gap between the two movies showing that the Conjuring sequel is the winner. Once again, what genre do most moviegoers care about, even during a slow time at the box office? Horror.

In terms of the severity of how bad the loss is here on Expendables 4, we have to see the global grosses, which haven’t been released yet. In China, the reported $100M Expendables 4 is up to $20.8M, however, distributor’s only get 25% to 27% of the box office there. Lionsgate took UK and U.S. on the Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham movie for around $20M, with $20M in marketing. Again, when Lionsgate sees a stinker on paper, they’re not going to promote to the glory of the skies like a John Wick. Stallone’s previous movie, Samaritan, at MGM skipped a theatrical release back in late August 2022 for a launch on Prime Video. As far as exhibition is concerned, splitting $8M in box office is better for them than seeing Stallone’s latest dud on a service.

Overall estimated weekend for all movies before Comscore’s report is looking like $52M — which is the worst we’ve seen in 2023, the last being Super Bowl weekend with $52.6M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, Giorno said:

So is jurassic world safe from barbie?

yeah, pretty safe from the way I see. JW added another $10m after $3m expansion weekend, and Barbie will hit 641m if follow JW. I think Barbie can go lower than 640 because of the competition ahead. 

Thinking Saturday may have been a little juiced by the rain from TS Ophelia on the E coast, and so Sunday drops will be a bit harsher, actuals coming down from estimates