Daxtreme

Fallout | Amazon Prime Video | Based on the video game franchise | April 12th, 2024

I remember playing the Fallout demo, you could only access one town, and that was it, I forgot the name.

I didn't understand English back then so I just ran around shooting people.

So basically, the Fallout experience

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I remember playing the Fallout demo, you could only access one town, and that was it, I forgot the name.

*goes to post the DeVito "I started blasting" meme*

*thinks*

*two minutes of Googling later*

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShOVkeopvDKR2Ch07GN3l

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Which Fallout Game?

A lot of the old timers think 4 was a step down from the previous games..too much emphasis on being a FPS shooter, instead of the RPG emphasis of the first Three. (Fallout Tactics was a tacitcal wargame not a RPG.

Irony that Jonathan NOlan, Chriss kid brother, is a writer/showrunner for this. The Nolan Brothers seem to have a thing for things Nuclear.....

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Which Fallout Game?

A lot of the old timers think 4 was a step down from the previous games..too much emphasis on being a FPS shooter, instead of the RPG emphasis of the first Three. (Fallout Tactics was a tacitcal wargame not a RPG.

Irony that Jonathan NOlan, Chriss kid brother, is a writer/showrunner for this. The Nolan Brothers seem to have a thing for things Nuclear.....

The first one, the original

On 3/11/2024 at 7:05 PM, Daxtreme said:

The first one, the original

No wonder you lost.

Going around trying to shoot everything gets you killed very fast in the original game. You really have to think..and learn to avoid combat if you possibly can. 

That is definitely Fallout, alright.

Though someone obviously didn't put enough points into Charisma.  

Noobs coming from other games where Charisma is a dump stat not realizing you can (nearly) literally talk your way out of any encounter with enough speech.  smdh and all that. :sadno:

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:14 AM, Porthos said:

That is definitely Fallout, alright.

Though someone obviously didn't put enough points into Charisma.  

Noobs coming from other games where Charisma is a dump stat not realizing you can (nearly) literally talk your way out of any encounter with enough speech.  smdh and all that. :sadno:

It 's a fun way to play ...but the problem surviving early on are the monsters you encounter between towns which you can't reason with..the radscorpions can be nasty.....which is why you need to convince one of the NPC who has good fighter stats to join you.

A lot of news also don;t get that just plain running away from an bad situation where you are outgunned is a very valuable tactic. Build up your stats, get allies, etc then come back.

I admit I regret that David Warner is no longer with us, so he can play the big bad in the game (he voiced the big bad who is behind everything in the original game).

Edited by dudalb

Be forewarned folks.  The more I read about this, the more I am convinced this will in fact be very much like the Fallout games, right down to:

this hybrid of dark, mythic and violent but also funny, satirical and almost goofy in places

This is about the third or fourth interview/story I've seen mentioned in the press the last few days that goes out of its way to mention that this is gonna be far from a po-faced super serious SciFi/spandex tights show.

One of the things about the Fallout games is in fact its dark, biting humor.  It isn't just satirical (though it has that in spades).  It is in fact down right silly at times.  You have things like the Junk Jet (weapons that literally uses trash items as ammo) to children's toy ray guns that can operate like a weapon of mass death (well, was supposed to at any rate, actual Game Implementation left something to be desired).

How the series balances the serious and... not so serious elements is gonna be interesting to see.

• Like 1

So I've been skimming the reactions of the first two episodes coming out of London and Collider/CinemaCon and elsewhere, and I know they're largely, if not exclusively, fan driven, but they're very positive. 

It's been said that reading reactions out of premieres is an art, and fan screenings even more so.  But I have to tell ya, this is bordering on near unanimous praise. 

I think the sheer happiness of the tweets/reactions I'm seeing is the subtle tell about how this will go over.

Now, again, still just fan reactions I've seen from the most part.  And my scanning abilities for Twitter is [CLASSIFIED METHODS REDACTED] errr that is... more than a little limited.

Still, initial signs are good.  Even over on YT, the reaction is very positive from what I've seen.

Mind since this is a binge release, how it sticks the landing is gonna enter the equation extremely rapidly.  Or indeed if it peaks far too soon into the series.  But the initial episodes sure do seem to capture the vibe/tone/feel of Fallout.

NB:  Since these are almost exclusively fan reactions, not gonna copy-n-paste them here as it really isn't all that indicative.  Collider Frosty has joined the chorus, mind, but... Well...  He's not exactly the harshest of graders, it's been noted.

• Like 1

Speaking of YouTube in a round about way, the OST is now officially out on various platforms (geolocked to April 8th, it would seem).

One of the tracks in particular (Feo Fuerte y Formal) sounds straight out of a Spaghetti Western.  In a very good way.

Oh, yes, one of the tracks is in fact called "War Never Changes".  Apparently some things never change in Fallout, as well. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Early buzz for this seems quite positive, I imagine it'll be a hit. If it checks off all the right boxes it could very well end up at the Emmys, which doesn't seem impossible given how barren the Drama field is this year, to the point where some shows that were originally intended to compete in Limited are now looking into potentially switching categories. 

Edited by filmlover

Exceedingly strong likelihood we're getting a second season:

Just days before its debut, Fallout looks to be assured a second season thanks to a $25 million tax credit from California.

Officially, Amazon has not said yet that the Prime Video series is coming back, but, with some hints from executive producers Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan recently, it is pretty clear the money is doing the talking here. Receiving one of the largest allocations ever from the program for a relocating series, the LA-set post-apocalyptic drama is among a dozen shows awarded $152 million in incentives.

Primetime prequel NCIS: Origins, the Noah Wyle starring The Pitt, plus the Ryan Murphy executive produced Dr. Odyssey starring Joshua Jackson, and Grotesquerie starring Emmy winner Niecy Nash also were awarded credits through the California Film Commission run $330 million annual program – as you can see below.

Screen-Shot-2024-04-08-at-5.31.11-AM.png

Set to premiere on April 11, Fallout, based on the best-selling video game franchise, is almost as big a get for the CFC as it is a swing for Amazon Prime Video. Ever since the Golden State’s  tax incentive imitative was revamped in 2014 to be competitive with the lucrative likes of Georgia, New York state and the likes of British Columbia and Quebec up in Canada, snagging series from other jurisdictions has been the jewel in the crown for the program.

“From bringing Fallout home to keeping classics in California, this program has helped our iconic, world-leading entertainment sector create tens of thousands of good jobs for Californians and generate billions of dollars for communities across the state over the past 15 years,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said today.

Big budget Fallout, which filmed its first season in the Empire State, Utah, New Jersey and Namibia, is the 33rd series to relocate to California in the last decade thanks to the tax credit program. This latest round of TV projects unveiled this morning includes one relocating series, three recurring television series, and eight new television series, according to the CFC.

Of course, being awarded the tax credits, even big bucks like what Fallout has reaped, is no guarantee a project will go forward. The allocations are conditional on certain timelines being met, and a number of films and shows, like Season 2 of Amazon’s spy saga Citadel, have dropped out of the program after getting a green light.

Still, the credits can make the difference between a show going ahead or not — and that’s vital in an industry where work remains scant right now and in a state with a heavy budget deficit. The 2024 revised program centered its criteria on job creation and economic growth, an endgame that seems even more poignant than ever right now.

To that end, Fallout is estimated by the CFC to employ around 170 cast and crew for its second season and contribute approximately $153 million in qualified expenditures to the state. Overall, the 12 projects awarded in this round are expected to spend about $1.1 billion in the state during production. Besides the immediate tax revenues and support to local vendors, the projects are anticipated to provide jobs to 2,300 crew, 2,200 cast, and 50,000 background performers, says the Colleen Bell-run CFC.

Not a guarantee as the article notes, but I have to imagine that unless the series viewership numbers are very much under expectations, that a second season will be officially announced somewhere along the line. 

Amazon releasing the series a day early:

‘Fallout’ Season 1 to Premiere a Day Early on Prime Video

The world is coming to an end a day earlier on Prime Video. The Amazon-owned streaming service announced Monday night that all 8 episodes of “Fallout” will premiere on April 10 — that’s this Wednesday — instead of the previously announced April 11.

Adjust your vault settings accordingly.

And per Prime Video, “The special release includes a live global fan premiere of the first episode on April 10 at 6 p.m. PT on Prime Video, where fans worldwide can choose their faction and interact with others via a live chat function filled with surprises.”

Based on the long-running video game series from Bethesda Softworks, “Fallout” takes place in an alternate history where advances in nuclear technology after World War II reshaped the world and then caused its destruction via a devastating nuclear war. Centuries later, survivors build new civilizations among the ruins, while the descendants of people who escaped the devastation by hiding in nuclear shelters called “Vaults” begin to emerge and set out to rebuild.

The Prime Video series, which retains the retro-futuristic aesthetics and black comedy of the games, follows Lucy (Ella Purnell) a descendant of the original Vault Dwellers who leaves the safety of her Vault for the roach-infested wasteland that Los Angeles has become 200 years after the war. Her initial optimism is thus severely tempered as she discovers the absurdly violent new world where kill, or be killed is the rule.

“Fallout” also stars Walton Goggins also stars as Cooper Howard, a monstrous gunfighter who survived the nuclear war and is somehow still alive in the present, and Aaron Moten as Maximus, a member of The Brotherhood of Steel, who collect and preserve (and hoard) prewar knowledge.

Kyle MacLachlan, Xelia Mendes-Jones, Mike Doyle, Moisés Arias, Johnny Pemberton, Dale Dickey, Matty Cardarople, Sarita Choudhury, Michael Emerson, Leslie Uggams, Chris Parnell and Zach Cherry also star.

The series was co-created by Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Graham Wagner and developed by Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan through their Kilter Films production company. Joy and Nolan are best known for creating the HBO sci-fi series “Westworld.”

6pm (Wed) PDT

9pm (Wed) EDT

2am (Thr)   BST

3am (Thr)   CEST

4am (Thr)   MSK

6:30am (Thr) IST

9am (Thr)   CST 

10am (Thr) JST

11am (Thr) AEST

1pm (Thr)   NZST

Edited by Porthos

Late-ish episode one spoiler [???] commentary/quip (from about the 58 min mark or so)

Spoiler

Maaaaan, Michael Emerson sure does get typecast, doesn't he? :lol:

Edited a few minutes later

Spoiler

Okay, escapee from the Enclave.  Point still stands.  Sorta.

Got to admit, didn't see that coming

Edited by Porthos