Daxtreme

Fallout | Amazon Prime Video | Based on the video game franchise | April 12th, 2024

07eb83d0-4231-11ee-b5ef-3ece95be5b35

Fallout First Look: This Is How the World Ends—With a Smiling Thumbs-Up

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/fallout-first-look

FL-Fallout-4.jpg

Showrunners: Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy (known for Westworld)

Starring: Ella Purnell, Arron Moten, Walton Goggins

Synopsis: The world has lived a nuclear apocalypse and as far as people underground know, was (and probably still is) a nuclear wasteland. Hundreds of years after the nuclear war, and with no contact with the outside world, a crisis forces Lucy (Ella Purnell) to venture above her secure nuclear vault on a rescue mission. She finds that the planet above remains a hellscape crawling with giant insects, voracious mutant animal “abominations,” and a human population of sunbaked miscreants who make the manners, morals, and hygiene of the gunslinging Old West look like Downton Abbey

Apparently takes place a few years after Fallout 4 and is a new story, not a direct adaptation of a Fallout game per se.

FL-Fallout-1.jpg

FL-Fallout-9.jpg

FL-Fallout-5.jpg

FL-Fallout-6.jpg

No trailer yet. I mean this looks dope. Let's hope the writing is good

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2

Already posted in the Amazon Prime thread, but didn't see that this thread had been created, so here's the trailer.

Called a "teaser trailer", but it puts many "full length" trailers to shame.

Also four posters dropped today:

GAWKtYmW0AARuoN?format=jpg&name=900x900GAWKuv1WoAAGJlP?format=jpg&name=900x900

GAWKvyxWYAAk4o9?format=jpg&name=900x900GAWKwrFWIAAClC5?format=jpg&name=900x900

One thing's for sure, they're absolutely nailing the vibe and look and tone of the games.  Time will tell if the stories also match up.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Sort of going back to the  Southeren California Original setting of the first game, I see. 

Wonder if they keep the "Water Chip" McGuffin the first game had.Your vault Water CHip, which is what it uses to gee a suppy of water has gone on the fritz and you are sent into the suface world to find a new onw.

And they had BETTER have Rad Scorpions.

On 12/2/2023 at 1:52 PM, Porthos said:

Already posted in the Amazon Prime thread, but didn't see that this thread had been created, so here's the trailer.

Called a "teaser trailer", but it puts many "full length" trailers to shame.

Also four posters dropped today:

GAWKtYmW0AARuoN?format=jpg&name=900x900GAWKuv1WoAAGJlP?format=jpg&name=900x900

GAWKvyxWYAAk4o9?format=jpg&name=900x900GAWKwrFWIAAClC5?format=jpg&name=900x900

One thing's for sure, they're absolutely nailing the vibe and look and tone of the games.  Time will tell if the stories also match up.

Also going back to the original first 1997 game with the SoCal setting.

The Ghoul is a legend, distinct among his kind for his cleverness and cunning. There’s still something of Cooper Howard, the person he used to be within this desiccated form. “Walton’s equally adept at drama and comedy, which is so difficult,” Nolan says. “There is a chasm in time and distance between who this guy was and who he’s become, which for me creates an enormous dramatic question: What happened to this guy? So we’ll walk backwards into that.”

He compares The Ghoul to the poet Virgil in Dante’s Inferno, someone in this hellish landscape who knows its full scope, origin, and secrets. “He becomes our guide and our protagonist in that [older] world, even as we understand him to be the antagonist at the end of the world,” Nolan says.

(from the VF piece linked in the OP)

I think the only thing that - worries me is too strong a phrase so instead let's go with slightly concerning - I find slightly concerning is some of the commentary that Nolan and Joy gave concerning Walton Goggins' character as it seems at a surface level to be somewhat similar ground to The Man In Black from Westworld.  Some of their commentary about the themes that Fallout is going to be exploring seemed awfully Westworld-y to me as well.

Which isn't strictly a bad thing thing as I do think it's more what one does with tropes tools than reusing the tools themselves. And there probably is some surface level similarities between some aspects of Fallout and Westworld anyway.  But I do hope The Ghoul isn't going to be The Man In Black redux.

Probably being knee-jerk here, but I must admit seeing a dual time line being set up concerning The Ghoul pre- and post- Great War isn't helping matters, nor is describing The Ghoul as "the antagonist at the end of the world".

(Mind, if they do start with a similar-ish TMiB character, but spin it off into a much different direction as the character develops, I won't complain - I just don't particularly want to see another "Dark Messiah" type anti-villain retreading the same ground, or at least not with The Man In Black still being relatively fresh in folks memories) 

I played fallout 4 for way too many hours so I guess I’ll give this a shot. The writing in that game was often atrocious but the world definitely has dramatic potential. The vault experiments alone could be an entire tv show.

Edited by Hatebox

On 12/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Avatree said:

Great trailer.

Happy that Dogmeat is in this.

I also like the scavanged V-22 Osprey.

I wonder if the RadScorpions and the Death Claws will show up?

And will Ron Perlman do the opening narration. Would not be a Fallout porduct without "War.War Never Changes".

I cracked up on the "Two Day Free Shipping " bit . That is the main reason I subscribed to Amazon Prime a long time before they got into streaming.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:33 AM, Firepower said:

I hope it's gonna be nothing like Fallout 4, it was very bad Fallout game (but not a bad game as it is).

It seems be very defintly going back to the original 1997 Fallout game.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 6:23 AM, Hatebox said:

I played fallout 4 for way too many hours so I guess I’ll give this a shot. The writing in that game was often atrocious but the world definitely has dramatic potential. The vault experiments alone could be an entire tv show.

Fallout 4 was not nearly as good as the  earlier games in the series. 

• Like 1

Binge release model. :whosad:

(yeah yeah, call me old fashioned but half the fun of these sorts of series in the as they come out discussions with other folks)

• Thanks 1

I've always had a love-hate relationship with binge releases.

As a viewer, it's nice to be able to watch it all in one go, not gonna lie.

But like you, I think that the weekly release model really offers something. Discussion.

It's nearly impossible to discuss a TV show in a binge release model. Most of your RL friends have either watched 0, 3, 5, or 7 episodes, you have no idea. On the Internet you can only discuss the season as a whole, nobody is interested in discussing individual episodes, because nobody remembers the details because they watched it all in like 1 day. Plus, the added value of speculation between episodes is lost. And it's definitely not inconsequential. It's actually a big loss because it's really fun.

So yeah. Love hate relationship.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I've always had a love-hate relationship with binge releases.

As a viewer, it's nice to be able to watch it all in one go, not gonna lie.

But like you, I think that the weekly release model really offers something. Discussion.

It's nearly impossible to discuss a TV show in a binge release model. Most of your RL friends have either watched 0, 3, 5, or 7 episodes, you have no idea. On the Internet you can only discuss the season as a whole, nobody is interested in discussing individual episodes, because nobody remembers the details because they watched it all in like 1 day. Plus, the added value of speculation between episodes is lost. And it's definitely not inconsequential. It's actually a big loss because it's really fun.

So yeah. Love hate relationship.

Plus there's the whole "avoiding spoilers" situation.  If you only watch, say, the first three episodes, and want to see how other people reacted?  DODGEBALL TIME.  Hell, just surfing at all will be problematic.

Glad I'm not in the middle of a Fallout game run because, as one can imagine, searching for information about how to solve one particular quest or search YT for one particular vid will leave one up to the whims of The All Mighty Algorithm deciding to serve you up content about Fallout, the TV series.

(yes, I'm STILL salty about having the ending to Jedi: Fallen Order ruined for me as I was looking for tips on how to solve a puzzle thanks to YT's oh-so-helpful algorithm of suggested videos on the side bar)

People like to say, "oh just watch at your own pace", and that's true to an extent.  Not nearly as true in practice if one actually cares about not being spoiled.

• Like 1

I love the way it references the original 1997 game.

I suspect e will get to hear Ron Pearlman go at the beginning "War:War Never CHanges".

I think I saw a Deathclaw in one quick shot.

Hopefully the sereis can capture the warped Humor of the first games.

Though one diffrence is the time between World War 3 and when the adventure starts; In the game it was only 50 years.

And Hurrah for working in Pipboy.

On 3/7/2024 at 5:14 PM, Porthos said:

Binge release model. :whosad:

(yeah yeah, call me old fashioned but half the fun of these sorts of series in the as they come out discussions with other folks)

Of course if you are a fan of the games.........

As I am. Way back in 1997, Fallout was one of the first games I bought fro my brand new Windows 95 computer, with a whopping 32Mb of memory!