movies!movies!

The Strangers: Chapter 1 | Lionsgate | May 17, 2024

The doorbell footage stuff was fun but otherwise the marketing for this has felt really muted. Given the low budget it should be profitable but seems weird to barely market the first of an already-shot trilogy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

The doorbell footage stuff was fun but otherwise the marketing for this has felt really muted. Given the low budget it should be profitable but seems weird to barely market the first of an already-shot trilogy.

I thin stu studio considers this to be a niche film.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 9:30 AM, filmlover said:

It's three movies that were shot at once in this case, not dissimilar to how X and Pearl were filmed back-to-back. These movies were likely also extremely cheap to make, so there's not going to be any major loss on them should they not do well.

THIS.

Low budget horror movies are the safest investment in film. there is enough of a core audience to guarantee you will probably not lose money, and probably make a profit.

Intersting to see if the daughter can eventually make it to the BIg Time like her Dad did before his fall from grace.

M Night has never really recovered from what happend with "Lady In the Water". Yes he has found a sucessful place for himself, but it ia long way from when he was being proclaimed as the Next Speilberg.......

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

I think  studio considers this to be a niche film.

ANwya, with a low budget land being a horror film little chance it will lose money for the studio/

For some reason I c onfused this with the Watchers...

On 5/11/2024 at 11:30 AM, filmlover said:

It's three movies that were shot at once in this case, not dissimilar to how X and Pearl were filmed back-to-back. These movies were likely also extremely cheap to make, so there's not going to be any major loss on them should they not do well.

X and Pearl were both on a whole different level artistically though. 

Yeh I thought this was reductive. It does have some really effective jump scares that got me a few times and a woman in the audience screamed out loud twice so that was funny. 

2/5

Posted (edited)

This movie is a pretty good success at the box office.

4 times its budget so far with some more money to come (some markets yet to come) in looks nice.

Edited by MrHardapple

That feels like such a pointless conversation.

I feel we always cry about this and yet we're always proven wrong. The Fall Guy is not a success but is having very strong holds an continues to with PVOD release. IF will show the same. Kung Fu Panda same. Dune 2 same.

If it does make a difference, I don't see it. Furiosa is dead and is not holding well either. 

• Like 1