Eric Quinn

Red One | 11/15/24 | Amazon/MGM | Dwayne Johnson, Chris Evans | Rocky's Peach Tea

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

With a 250M budget? Doubtful it doesn't bomb badly.

And we need to rethink what constitutes original.

This. I can't see much difference between a cliched filled, bad movie in a IP and a cliched filled, bad "original" movie.

I repeat, this looks like another "Jingle All The Way' a superhero themed Christmas movie with Arnold Sschwarznegger that bombed badly back in the 1996 holiday season. Fox thought it had another "Home Alone" on their hands; boy, were they wrong.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The "fake trailer that's somehow a real movie" vibes are off the charts lmfao. 

"Fake trailer" vibes and "ChatGPT movie" vibes. It looks like a bunch of movies were fed into ChatGPT to be mashed together and this is what was regurgitated.

40 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

"Fake trailer" vibes and "ChatGPT movie" vibes. It looks like a bunch of movies were fed into ChatGPT to be mashed together and this is what was regurgitated.

It has every sing of being "movie by commitee". Which is never good.

But what gets to me, is how the hell they spent 250 Million on this..thing. Nothing form the plot indicated to me that they needed to spend even half that much on this.

Amazon film division is going to learn the hard way on this one. As Ben Franklin said, Experience keeps a very expensive school, but fools will learn in no other.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, karlleng said:

I was rooting a little bit for The Rock to have some success with this but not anymore.

This looks ugly

I am sort of hard assed about this: If somebody makes a bad movie, they deserve what happens.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am sort of hard assed about this: If somebody makes a bad movie, they deserve what happens.

In the wake of Black Adam failing and Dwayne Johnson being delusional about its success, I thought Black Adam deserved to fail harder.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

This is something that'd normally be direct to Netflix but is in theaters. That's a good thing.

Please explain why a film that gives every sing of bombing big time being in theaters is a good thing.

16 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Looks absolutely amazingly dogshit. 

And 250 Million dollars worth of dogshit.

That is what gets to me, just visually the trailer looks worse then some low budget movies I have seen.

Santa gets kidnapped? Shades of Santa Clause Versus the Martians.

Come to thinkg of it, there was expansion back in 1996 to the original Duke Nukem 3D game called'Duske Nukem Saves Chirstmas" with Duke saving Santa from aliens.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Please explain why a film that gives every sing of bombing big time being in theaters is a good thing.

Easy, schlock being in theaters is better than being dumped to streaming. And hell bad movies make money and great ones tank all the time, who knows.

• Like 1

I just can't believe that movies with budgets this big look so bad visually nowadays. It's like they think the more CGI and fake, flat looking environments, the better.

I believe the only thing that could save this from bombing spectacularly is the Christmas imagery. I might be grasping at straws here but the audience may just be in the mood, especially if it's genuinely funny.

I agree with SpiderByte here. I think the audience's standards need to be higher for movies, but if the studio was going to make this movie anyway and put in the money they put into it, may as well at least help keep the standard of going to theatres with it.

What we absolutely don't need is MORE streaming content.

But yeah, studios also have to make way better movies than this. It's embarrassing.

6 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I just can't believe that movies with budgets this big look so bad visually nowadays. It's like they think the more CGI and fake, flat looking environments, the better.

I believe the only thing that could save this from bombing spectacularly is the Christmas imagery. I might be grasping at straws here but the audience may just be in the mood, especially if it's genuinely funny.

Uh, every year we have Holiday themed movies and a number of them bomb.

And I won't root for a film that looks as bad as this one does. It is not like 250 Milion down the rathole will hurt Amazon. 

And I repeat, you make a bad movie,you deserve the consequences.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dwayne Johnson and Chris Evans in a movie together feels like HEAT but for bad acting

I disagree, Evans is a good actor but he seems to have chosen a really crappy script here.

One thing that annoyed me in the trailer is the whole 'Look at how clever and meta we are" vibes with the Wonder Woman joke.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree, Evans is a good actor but he seems to have chosen a really crappy script here.

One thing that annoyed me in the trailer is the whole 'Look at how clever and meta we are" vibes with the Wonder Woman joke.

That kind of meta writing is all over movies in general nowadays and I can't stand it. Takes me right out of whatever I'm watching unless it's a contemporary drama/comedy where you don't have to suspend your disbelief and the audience is not being taken away to another time and place.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

That kind of meta writing is all over movies in general nowadays and I can't stand it. Takes me right out of whatever I'm watching unless it's a contemporary drama/comedy where you don't have to suspend your disbelief and the audience is not being taken away to another time and place.

Agreed. It can work....I think it worked in Deadpool and She Hulk Attorney At Law..but with those two charecters breaking the fourth wall  and displaying full knowledge they are comic book charecters is one of the defining things about the charecters.

One of the worse examples of bad meta is the 'I learned it from dragons" line in "Solo". Painfully unfunny and the audience in theaters groaned at it.

Same exact mentality here; "Hey lets have a joke with a DC charecter cracked by the rock. And we have Captain America as his co star. Knock em dead". Make them vomit is more likely.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

That gag of Chris Evans wanting to enlarge and bring to life a Wonder Woman doll for companionship reminds me of Josh Gad in Pixels wanting to hook up with a video game character.