BK007

Best Blockbuster Summer

Let's discuss. I do love good summer entertainment, which summers have stood out? I always fall back on 2005, when I first started watching a lot of movies:Batman BeginsMr and Mrs SmithThe Island40-Year Old VirginWar of the WorldsFantastic FourCharlie and the Chocolate Factory (not sure if I still will like this)Stealth (don't like this anymore)2004 is also pretty good:Shrek 2Day After TomorrowPrisoner of AzkabanTerminalKing ArthurAnchormanI, RobotHarold and KumarCollateralBourne Supremacy (but completely forgotten it)Machurian Candidate (liked it the one time I saw it, like 8 years ago)Dodgeball (don't think I'll like it now though)White Chicks (same with this one)2009 might've been the last decent year for me:Transformers 2GI JoeStar TrekUpHalf Blood PrinceIce Age 3ProposalDistrict 9Public EnemiesFunny PeopleActually 2008 as well:Dark KnightIron ManIncredible HulkWall-EKung Fu PandaWantedSpeed RacerHellboy 2Death RaceTraitorPineapple Express (sorta)Tropic ThunderJourney to the Centre of the EarthWhat Happens in Vegas (liked it at the time)You Don't Mess with the Zohan (was funny...once)Babylon AD (kinda like it)2008 seems strongest now. From memory, quite a strong all-round set. 04 and 05 is nostalgia but a couple I've rewatched still hold up very well for me, TDAT, IR, Island, Collateral, WOTW.

Most years have seemed to have a few awful ones, a few great ones, and a whole lot of average ones. I actually think 2010 had the least bad ones of the past decade. Of the blockbusters it was really just The Last Airbender and Grown Ups that were crappy. The rest were good to decent (although I never saw Eclipse). TS3, Inception, Despicable Me, Iron Man 2, Expendables, Karate Kid, Salt, Other Guys, etc. 2008 is also a standout with TDK, Iron Man, Wall-E, and Tropic Thunder in particular. The rest of the slate wasn't quite as strong though, so I think I give the edge to 2010.

Edited by MovieMan89

Personally, 2008 always sticks out in my mind as one of my favorite summers ever:Iron ManKung-Fu PandaWall-EIJ4The Dark KnightObviously it's mainly because of TDK (especially since IJ4 was a let down movie wise) and that movie just dominated me for like 2 months. I literally saw it in theaters 7-10 times (I honestly forget the exact # of times).This summer though has the potential to seriously be the best summer movie season ever (quality and $):TAPrometheusTASMBraveTDKRJust those 5 alone all look to be good/great movies with huge blockbuster potential. Then throw in MIB3, SWATH, DS, Bourne, EXP2, GIJOE2, and others, and this summer could be one of the best ever.

Also, BK007, how can you list 2005 and not have ROTS???

One because I didn't see it until now, and two because I didn't like it. Most of those have nostalgia tainted on them and had I seen ROTS back then I'd probably have it on my list.I hope this year is good. As you stated when you began lumping GI Joe, Expendables, MIB etc. if we go back to 2007, imagine people were saying finales of three blockbuster franchises (all received well, DMC had legs) then throw in Ratatouille, Transformers, Rush Hour and whatever else came out that I've forgotten, Die Hard? It's just that a lot of the time those don't work.Last year I was disappointed with OST, DOTM, practically all the superhero movies etc. What makes 1982 so great?But anyway you're right about 2008 and looks like a lot of people agree. Quite a lot of good films in there.

1989:BatmanIndy 3Lethal Weapon 2Honey, I Shrunk the KidsDead Poets SocietyWhen Harry Met Sally...The AbyssWeekend at Bernies :PDo the Right ThingOutside the summer months, you had:Look Who's TalkingBack to the Future 2Little MermaidSteel MagnoliasBorn on the Fourth of JulyField of DreamsMajor LeagueBill and TedGlorysex, lies, and videotape

1989:BatmanIndy 3Lethal Weapon 2Honey, I Shrunk the KidsDead Poets SocietyWhen Harry Met Sally...The AbyssWeekend at Bernies :PDo the Right ThingOutside the summer months, you had:Look Who's TalkingBack to the Future 2Little MermaidSteel MagnoliasBorn on the Fourth of JulyField of DreamsMajor LeagueBill and TedGlorysex, lies, and videotape

Major League FTW. :D