Civil War (2024)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Civil War was pretty great. I’m slightly confused about the discourse of the movie being unclear about it’s ideology, i though it was obvious they was dealing with a fascist in the moment the line “third mandate” dropped. It helps that nearly all the people we see in the pov of our characters are women, Asian, black, queer and other minorities. 

It paints the picture that usually starts all war, fascism and repression towards minorities that have to fight back, i didn’t really needed any backstory to get what triggered it, and the specified details of how seems really unnecessary to what the movie is doing.

ehm...

What about Asian woman (getting out of the fleeing car at the end) and negotiator-Black-woman (surrendering also)  being killed by Western Forces? Were they not  minorities? Why  they worked for and supported very bad evil fascist president? Why hire them?

Really liked how it portraits a victory against fascism, showing how the left have to drop our ideas of being morally superior and get our hands dirty in order to win, it’s dehumanizing for sure, not pleasant at all to think about, but seems like a cold hard truth to me. 

image.jpg

I mean ....Is executing prisoners (which is a war crime) a way to fight fascism? And killing surrendering women? That's what it takes? But hey, "we are the good guys", right? "Now we can be "morally superior" again!"

Jeez, I read opinions like this and understand why Sasha Stone is pissed off all the time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

ehm...

What about Asian woman (getting out of the fleeing car at the end) and negotiator-Black-woman (surrendering also)  being killed by Western Forces? Were they not  minorities? Why  they worked for and supported very bad evil fascist president? Why hire them?

image.jpg

I mean ....Is executing prisoners (which is a war crime) a way to fight fascism? And killing surrendering women? That's what it takes? But hey, "we are the good guys", right? "Now we can be "morally superior" again!"

Jeez, I read opinions like this and understand why Sasha Stone is pissed off all the time

I don’t think it needed to be said that not every people that are part of a minority have left politics lol. I know some people on the other side in the movie are from some minority, they’re still a very small portion compared to the amount of minorities that we see on the side of the protagonists. It’s semiotics, it’s implied that there’s a division in this pattern of how they show the characters, that doesn’t mean all people of color is on the same side, that’s stupid. 

I don’t think a have to answer why fascists hire people from minorities despite repressing the groups, it’s 2024, it’s obvious why. 

And yes, sorry to break your heart but comitting war crimes is a way to fight fascism. For some reason you cut my entire argument, but i can say it again. The movie is exactly about how in a war everyone have to get their hands dirty in order to win, including the right side, and that’s why war dehumanizes people, because there’s no option to survive it without do thing that’s awful. There’s a lot of wars outside of US that shows what the right side had to do to win, just search it up. 

And i’m really sorry if you understand Sasha Stone because of a post in a forum that you broke into pieces to be angry about lol. She’s psychotic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don’t think it needed to be said that not every people that are part of a minority have left politics lol. I know some people on the other side in the movie are from some minority, they’re still a very small portion compared to the amount of minorities that we see on the side of the protagonists. It’s semiotics, it’s implied that there’s a division in this pattern of how they show the characters, that doesn’t mean all people of color is on the same side, that’s stupid. 

I don’t think a have to answer why fascists hire people from minorities despite repressing the groups, it’s 2024, it’s obvious why. 

I'm not sure about that. We see a refugee camp for disadvantaged people who are most vulnerable apparently, 

But it's said "the president attacked US citizens", not some certain groups of people. Even in the Plemon's scene Joel says "they are not government forces"

And yes, sorry to break your heart but comitting war crimes is a way to fight fascism. For some reason you cut my entire argument, but i can say it again. The movie is exactly about how in a war everyone have to get their hands dirty in order to win, including the right side, and that’s why war dehumanizes people, because there’s no option to survive it without do thing that’s awful. There’s a lot of wars outside of US that shows what the right side had to do to win, just search it up. 

Yep, sometimes there's no option when you need to survive. But executing prisoners and murdering defenceless people is not question of survival.  

I don't need to search anything up, I live in a country with an ongoing war

And i’m really sorry if you 

What I'm really sorry about is that after watching Garlands' antiwar film some folks might think he made a guideline how win a war by committing war crimes in the process ) 

30 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

What I'm really sorry about is that after watching Garlands' antiwar film some folks might think he made a guideline how win a war by committing war crimes in the process ) 

I’m not arguing about all that, i disagreed and i won’t fight to have a vision. 

This part tho, of course it’s not a guideline, it’s very obvious an anti-war movie in it’s heart, it still portraits what have to be done to win them. Both things can be true, all war movies have contradictions, even shooting a war movie have contradictions because it turns them into spectacle. 

I really don’t know why you write about this movie like it’s a monolith that only means one thing because it’s “antiwar”, that’s not true for any antiwar movie. 

You can disagreed with what i see in the movie, i don’t care, but bring my post to a thread i’m not participating to mock it and say i’m objectively wrong about my perception of an art and that’s why you understand Sasha Stone or whatever is ridiculous. 

On 4/21/2024 at 8:32 PM, ThomasNicole said:

You can disagreed with what i see in the movie, i don’t care, but bring my post to a thread i’m not participating to mock it and say i’m objectively wrong about my perception of an art and that’s why you understand Sasha Stone or whatever is ridiculous. 

Ouch

The only reason I brought your review here is cuz it made sense to discuss the movie in its thread, not in the box office one, where reviews drown in dollars chat and quick replies.

objectively

ouch#2

there is no such thing

in my opinion)

And if I mock something it's not because your opinion is "wrong", no, it's because I just I find it a bit hilarious. In my opinion) and why it could be upsetting for others