kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I mean that article is dated nearly a year ago. If people didn't care that much then they're probably never going to.

Tbh, I do think the majors pulling out was primarily a PR move when the invasion was hot on everyone's minds and social media ragers were keeping score on who was still doing business in Russia and who wasn't. As long as the war is still going on of course it will be bad PR again if they return, but if anyone was truly going to suffer consequences for never stopping their business in Russia they would've faced them by now.

IDK sometimes it takes a few attempts before a nugget of information truly sticks with people and makes them want to "do something". Sometimes the audience isn't receptive at first because the new info goes too far against what they believe about the entity being criticized, or story goes underreported, so it's like yelling into the wind. But a few months or years pass, there's a shift, and suddenly people are willing to listen.

In this case I wouldn't be totally stunned if the Very Online critics of Civil War's politics and Garland by extension, catch wind of A24 doing fresh business in Russia and raise a new fuss. And maybe it catches wind now because the crowd that's angry about this movie might be in a "takedown" sort of mood. Not that it'll sink the movie, but the Civil War dissenters have already tried pushing negative stories about it with far less juice than A24 possibly circumventing an economic boycott with geopolitical implications.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 hours ago, Ziddletwix said:

Naive question—"Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" (2024) released this weekend, and I see some showtimes near me. Why aren't there any numbers for it? Is there just some large delay on reporting any numbers, or do some small distributions just not report any box office results at all?

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

In this case I wouldn't be totally stunned if the Very Online critics of Civil War's politics and Garland by extension, catch wind of A24 doing fresh business in Russia and raise a new fuss. And maybe it catches wind now because the crowd that's angry about this movie might be in a "takedown" sort of mood. Not that it'll sink the movie, but the Civil War dissenters have already tried pushing negative stories about it with far less juice than A24 possibly circumventing an economic boycott with geopolitical implications.

The people complaining about Civil War are not the types to care about Russia. I don't know how much I'm allowed to be straight forward about this, but I feel like Civil War critics are far more likely to talk about "all the nazis in Ukraine" and be more concerned with the other international conflict to even make a fuss about Russia.

• Like 1

I can see it becoming a thing in certain "dirt digging" circles, sure, though A24's leadership is notoriously private as it is, so I don't imagine it will be much of an influence on their part.

Maybe if they were screening their movies to the IDF that would be a more salient rage bait angle right now.

• Like 2

I will say given the background of the person directing the next A24 release, I don't imagine any hypothetical takedown efforts would gain much steam. Now that I think about it their upcoming schedule decisions make a lot more sense

Edited by AniNate

7 hours ago, Tower said:

I didn't see this on Tribute.ca, Box Office Mojo, or The-Numbers! This is what I meant a while back, a lot of these numbers either aren't getting picked up, or they're getting posted late and there aren't a lot of resources out there willing to go back and add them to the weekend. Aggggh!

On 4/14/2024 at 11:08 AM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The novelty factor was simply too strong with the 2014 reboot. It was the one chance the property had at Marvel-level stardom, and Edwards's choices caused it to blow it. Without another 15-year slumber, Goji ain't reaching that high again. I also think that Civil War being a lot stronger than anyone had expected ate into it this weekend.

Still, it's still performing unabashedly great, especially considering King of the Monsters by all rights should've killed the franchise years ago. That this one is even coming close to the novelty-driven high of that 2014 reboot is a big accomplishment not many saw coming. That alone leaves me grateful.

Godzilla was never going to be Marvel sized because its never been that kind of franchise over here and it's bizarre to think that honestly. G-2014's novelty boost of 90 million was always going to be a one-off of perfect storms (Bryan Cranston coming high off of Breaking Bad is underdiscussed for that movie's gross). For as much as I personally think GxK's awful, the way its been performing box office wise is a success story as it is, especially with that muuuuch lower budget of 137 million.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AniNate said:

So The-Numbers has $25,712,608 as Civil War's number. Is that the actual? They got that disturbingly dead-on in estimates if true.

BOM labels the same number as estimates. Why hasn't A24 reported the actual yet?