kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

MLB postseason I think is a decent spot to promote big holiday blockbusters. I remember the world series was where Avatar got its start.

On that note MLB was another place A24 was pushing Civil War, got a whole bunch of ads on Monday for it on the MLB TV app

It's not that far past MLB opening day though, I don't think those were the most expensive games they chose slots in.

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Why does it surprise you? War films in general trend that way so it's within normal(ish) norms?

Edit - norms as in smaller grosses. A giant hit is obviously going to have wider demographics, but this is pulling from upper classes and in the grand scheme will be "small" overall so not pulling from the groups that go toward more "fun" films doesn't surprise. 

I would also hazard to guess that the politics of the demos also pull quite liberal and white. 

When the marketing put so much focus on Kirsten dunst and Spaeny, you would expect better show up from female demo. Zero dark thirty, a female centric political thriller did pull higher female demo at 41%.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Either a really good hold or some decent opening locations. 

It opened this weekend here in Turkey for example, in order to avoid Ramadan. I imagine we're not the only market with a staggered launch.

16 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

King of the Monsters but that's because I want Ghidorah and Rodan back in a future installment.

My dream Godzilla movie at this stage would be a King of the Monsters do-over of sorts. That movie was such a waste of some excellent characters that I'd love to see another one try that concept again, but do them proper  justice in an actually good movie not bogged down by a story that is too ambitious for the talent attached to this franchise.

• Like 1

My hunch says Civil War will have poor legs. But a movie like this can be hard to predict.

Interested how Dune does next weekend. With the IMAX re-expansion, I’m expecting small drop. Yeah, it’ll be on digital. But that hasn’t hurt other movies much.

I think Spy x is getting a contract split with Civil War, Dune is based on individual theater space/will. I'm honestly not anticipating much of a bump since I think only a few really big theaters will be willing to add it

Edited by AniNate

I do wonder if Spy could actually be the biggest opener next weekend. Obviously it has a preexisting fanbase but it's killing presales at my local Cinemark, plus it has the IMAX boost

Edited by AniNate
  • Heart 1

46 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Any previous Monsterverse film in the franchise you’d wish/want to see a theatrical re-release of?

24509327-dff7-4e7b-b07a-72adb70d47e3_tex

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Either a really good hold or some decent opening locations. 

Maybe a combo of both? 

It did open in new territories this weekend - France, Belgium, Germany, Turkey. It doesn't have any new territories so next week's hold will be telling. 

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do wonder if Spy could actually be the biggest opener next weekend. Obviously it has a preexisting fanbase but it's killing presales at my local Cinemark, plus it has the IMAX boost

Anime usually extremely front loaded.  I guess I wouldnt be surprised by

9m Spy X 

8.5m Abigail (around First Omen)

7m Warfare (around Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant)

assuming he was serious, why did jatinder's prediction that gvk could come close to dunc 2 domestically and was very likely to beat it ww not come to pass? 

It wont come to pass because it wont have 3x legs, but is there a reason he expected it to have those kinds of legs?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

assuming he was serious, why did jatinder's prediction that gvk could come close to dunc 2 domestically and was very likely to beat it ww not come to pass? 

Maybe I misread, but I assumed he was talking about OW. That it was going to come close to Dune's 82M and its WW opening (180M ish?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

A24 promoted the hell out of CW and did it smartly.  Their ad on the new Roadhouse was genius.  When you clicked play,  the trailer played with a message about how you're getting this movie ad-free thanks to CW, and that's the only ad you'll get.  Which is weird cuz if you have Prime you don't get any ads, but they twisted it into, thanks to A24's CW, you get to watch this movie add-free, after this trailer

They must have paid a sweet penny for that. 

However, I’m told they did spend on P&A on their most expensive movie of all-time, which cost more than $50M, with around $20M+ in marketing.

According to Deadline the marketing expenses was around 20m