kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Its Metacritic is 73. Lots of movies have a "good not great" score on Metacritic like that. People on here talked it up like it had Fury Road level raves, so SXSW must have had a very different reaction that the critics who watched it elsewhere.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-fall-guy/

Note that its audience score is 75. This is also "good not great" range generally (especially since this movie most likely isn't getting review bombed. Compare this to the audience score for the Mario movie:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-super-mario-bros-movie/

Maybe I miscalculated what the "raves" were but I don't get the sense paying audiences treated this film as some kind of Barbenheimer level thingy.

I remember the Fury Road enthusiasm. It was a giddy, euphoric, overwhelming enthusiasm. Never ever got that sense for Fall Guy. Fall Guy felt more like it's better than expected. Heard Tropic Thunder and Nice Guys comps but said comparisons mentioned it wasn't as good either but still very enjoyable.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Man Fall Guy is so good. Especially that opening oner, Leitch is gonna get respected in the near future so help me god 

Seeing it tomorrow so I can not agree  yet but hopefully I do and the WOM and legs can be good. 

1 minute ago, Kon said:

The joke doesn't include Radcliffe/Watson being forced to do anything. 

Oh, so the joke just requires me to be an oblivious moron and ignore the fact that Rowling and Radcliffe/Watson have diametrically opposed views on a social issue that's literally gotten people killed. Got it.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I remember the Fury Road enthusiasm. It was a giddy, euphoric, overwhelming enthusiasm. Never ever got that sense for Fall Guy. Fall Guy felt more like it's better than expected. Heard Tropic Thunder and Nice Guys comps but said comparisons mentioned it wasn't as good either but still very enjoyable.

...That actually sounds like a realistic assessment of the film if we're going by its IMDB or Metacritic scores. But people really should have described it as something other than "SXSW raves" if it wasn't actually raves.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If it's even close to as good as Nice Guys I will be happy.

The reason SXSW reviews are better is because seeing a good film at a festival is always going to help bump up the aftertaste than seeing a good film in a normal theater because, after it's over, you're still at a festival rather than thinking about the film as you drive home. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

....so, does it look like Civil War can still hit 70 mil?

I doubt it. 50% drops aren't gonna cut it and probably gonna get nailed for theaters next week with Apes opening.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

If it's even close to as good as Nice Guys I will be happy.

I wish I could it was... But, I'm all in on Shane Black. Huge fan of his resurgence that started with KKBB. Loved Nice Guys. And, hey, Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite MCU joints. The Predator was rough but I even make excuses for that one!

Fall Guy feels a lot like Drew Pearce who has worked with Shane Black was trying to do his best imitation of 90s Shane Black. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. While watching, given the high budget, I even started wondering why they didn't just hire Shane Black to polish it up or rewrite it. Also made me wonder why it wasn't rated R. Some of the action gags in it would've benefitted from having an R rated punchline that movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Nice Guys, Hot Fuzz, Tropic Thunder really used well. TFG is more on The Other Guys PG13 level but even that one pushed it closer to R than Fall Guy.

All that said, I had a good time with it. Definitely a smile. Heart is absolutely in the right place. Lotta charm. Atomic Blonde even with all its faults is still my favorite by Leitch.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The reason SXSW reviews are better is because seeing a good film at a festival is always going to help bump up the aftertaste than seeing a good film in a normal theater because, after it's over, you're still at a festival rather than thinking about the film as you drive home. 

I hope this doesn't sound trollish. But I don't get this. Is this saying the movie will somehow get better scores if it's shown at a festival? Or that reviews at a festival are more "valid" than others? I'm really confused.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I wish I could it was... But, I'm all in on Shane Black. Huge fan of his resurgence that started with KKBB. Loved Nice Guys. And, hey, Iron Man 3 is one of my favorite MCU joints. The Predator was rough but I even make excuses for that one!

Fall Guy feels a lot like Drew Pearce who has worked with Shane Black was trying to do his best imitation of 90s Shane Black. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. While watching, given the high budget, I even started wondering why they didn't just hire Shane Black to polish it up or rewrite it. Also made me wonder why it wasn't rated R. Some of the action gags in it would've benefitted from having an R rated punchline that movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Nice Guys, Hot Fuzz, Tropic Thunder really used well. TFG is more on The Other Guys PG13 level but even that one pushed it closer to R than Fall Guy.

All that said, I had a good time with it. Definitely a smile. Heart is absolutely in the right place. Lotta charm. Atomic Blonde even with all its faults is still my favorite by Leitch.

If we are only counting Leitch Solo movies I would go Atomic Blonde, DP 2, Bullet Train and H& S in that order. Will see where The Fall Guy slots tomorrow. I hope above H&S.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I hope this doesn't sound trollish. But I don't get this. Is this saying the movie will somehow get better scores if it's shown at a festival? Or that reviews at a festival are more "valid" than others? I'm really confused.

The whole vibe of being at festival can sometimes result in a more positive or more negative reaction to a film. It's not abnormal for films received exceeding well or poorly at a festival to have later reactions move closer to the mean.

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

If we are only counting Leitch Solo movies I would go Atomic Blonde, DP 2, Bullet Train and H& S in that order. Will see where The Fall Guy slots tomorrow. I hope above H&S.

Atomic Blonde

Fall Guy

Bullet Train

Hobbs & Shaw

Deadpool 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The better someone's mood is when seeing a film, the more forgiving, in theory, that person will be. And the idea is, the mood of people at a film festival is much more positive because there's less outside influence of someone having a bad day that might affect their viewing.

I first saw Dune: Part One while in the middle of a Pandemic depression of sorts and really struggled to enjoy it. I saw it months later, after my worries were gone, and thought the film was really good!

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

There was definitely a trend with all the high profile SXSW screenings this year of the general reception cooling when it got out to the larger critic cohort

I can attest that festival high is a real thing having been to TIFF a few times. You're in a good mood, seeing a lot of celebrities and cool Oscar bait movies before everyone else, and you don't really want to be picking them apart in your head afterwards.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Super Bowl ads don't really make sense for ANY movie though. Flash super bombed and lost more money than Fall Guy ever will with a much buzzier Super Bowl trailer.

They used to put upcoming summer movies on the map but the time has probably passed. A Super Bowl ad only makes sense now for movies coming out within a month, or it's like that surprise Cloverfield thing that dropped on Netflix right after the game. A pregame ad gets nearly the same reach/coverage while costing less.

And film festival highs/bubbles are pretty notorious. At festivals like Cannes or Venice, the media reports on how long the standing ovations are, and five minutes means the movie's reception is actually kind of mid. SXSW skews younger, less "formal", more action/geek friendly. They premiered the Road House remake there. The Fall Guy probably benefited from the comparison.

1 hour ago, KGPatt2 said:

Well yeah, 100%. I said the same thing in last weekend's thread. They don't like Rowling and Rowling hates them.

My post was pure sarcasm, only speaking to the money making potential of that movie.

Dan was just nominated for a Tony and is being predicted to win his category. So thrilled he's found success in other projects.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1