YM!

2025 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Where are people getting Passion 2? I'm not seeing it anywhere on the release schedule.

https://productionlist.com/production/passion-christ-resurrection/

began filming 3 days ago, dont know if it'll be ready for easter 2025, if its not, then it'll probably be 2026

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenit_News_Agency

those guys claim its release date is april 18th, doubt they'd fake it, but id rather a trade report it 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Where are people getting Passion 2? I'm not seeing it anywhere on the release schedule.

If you search it up I think it says it’s releasing next year

My list right now (DOM):

1. Avatar 3 (140/715)

2. Zootopia 2 *5-day OW (160/440)

3. Superman Legacy (148/410)

4. Michael (102/345

5. Passion of the Christ 2 (90/325)

6. Fantastic Four (110/300)

7. Snow White (93/281)

8. Mission Impossible 8 (85/255)

9. Jurassic World 4? (97/250)

10. Minecraft (94/235)

11. Blade (80/215)

12. Fast X (70/170)

13. Elio (49/168)

14. Captain America 4 (64/163)

15. Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 (86/154)

a lot of these movies I need to see trailers for before making an estimate (Kendrick movie, Karate Kid, Mickey 17, Dog Man, dirty dancing) and some like Wicked part 2 are dependent on how the installment that hasn’t been released yet does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

Why? You need to see Part 1 to understand Part 2 and there are people who didn't enjoy part 1 and they'll not come back for Part 2

Bat-Signal - Wikipedia

Looks even weaker at the top than 2025 but with better depth and parity throughout the year. Not buying Avatar 3 doing 600m again - Avatar 2 got the anticipation hold when many expected a drop, this is the one that will drop. It'll still win the year by default unless Shrek 5 comes out, though. Nothing else I see over 400m. Year desperately needs Shrek 5 or Spiderverse or something.

• Like 1

Also, if both Michael and Passion of the Christ stick to April 18th, we might have two movies doing over 100m on the same weekend for the first time ever

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

For now I'm thinking Mickey 17 does $50 mil at best, hope I'm wrong about that

It can definitely do more than that, Parasite did 53m as a foreign language film without a built in fan base.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Flip said:

Also, if both Michael and Passion of the Christ stick to April 18th, we might have two movies doing over 100m on the same weekend for the first time ever

could be fun

and though I do expect P2 to open to over 100, I'm not sure whether easter weekend hurts or helps

my family would never  go to the theater on easter Sunday, not even for THE Jesus movie 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Looks even weaker at the top than 2025 but with better depth and parity throughout the year. Not buying Avatar 3 doing 600m again - Avatar 2 got the anticipation hold when many expected a drop, this is the one that will drop. It'll still win the year by default unless Shrek 5 comes out, though. Nothing else I see over 400m. Year desperately needs Shrek 5 or Spiderverse or something.

Depending on how IO2/Moana 2 does, Zootopia can do it. Minecraft and Michael also seem like plausible candidates.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Much as I hate Zaslav I have to begrudgingly acknowledge Warner for scheduling four non-IP auteur movies in the first five months. Hope they pay off.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, YM! said:
  1. Avatar 3 - $155m/$625m
  2. Minecraft - $130m/$415m
  3. Jurassic City - $145m/$400m
  4. Zootopia 2 - $100m five day/$370m
  5. Superman - $125m/$335m
  6. Passion 2 🤢 - $135m/$300m
  7. Michael - $95m/$280m
  8. How to Train Your Dragon - $75m/$250m
  9. Fantastic Four - $85m/$240m
  10. Mission Impossible 8 - $70m/$215m

Behold my way too early top ten

Going to also guess what rounds up the potential scale of what could make the top ten:

• Captain America: Brave New World - Feels like a number between Cap1 (~175m) and Shang-Chi (~225m) is right for it providing solid reception. Think the angle of Hulk shenanigans is an interesting sell but whilst Falcon doesn’t get same level of fandom vitriol from bigots (I mean it’ll still be there but probably more subdued) like when a girl enters the MCU, I don’t think he’s a kickstarter. There’s another potential issue but I want to wait a few months when the trailer drops to see if it pans out.
  • Coogler’s new movie. Feels more like a Creed at the box office than a Black Panther but I think it could really surprise us.
  • Snow White - The Snow White IP though belonging to a big name doesn’t feel much like a kickstarter and feels like it’ll end up on lower Disney remakes but I think mid 100s can happen due to lack of female appealing films Q1.
  • Thunderbolts* - Personally feels like the weakest of the Marvel projects this year but has a pretty decent thirst for action films during the lead up. Feeling mid 100s again for it, but if The Bear crew manages to make something great - I’ll go a bit higher.
  • Elio - Though I think IO2 will be a hit and Pixar has the least hurdles of all the Disney brands, I hate the spot for it as it’ll face competition it’s not ready to handle especially as sci-fi animation but can work as there’s lack of family films this summer until Bad Guys 2.
  • Kendrick Musical - I think the pitch on paper sounds funny and Kendrick is a huge star, think it could be a potential sweeper given the dearth of comedies (Naked Gun remake too but I feel a bit more optimistic on Kendrick)
  • The Bad Guys 2 - Though I don’t think it’ll break records with Universal’s strong marketing department and a beloved first, I could see a decent sized jump for this one.
  • FNAF2 - Dislike the first one with a passion, it worked with its target audience as video game movies are the new live action remakes, copy the source fill with references watch box office explode. 
  • The Bride - Think the concept itself feels of interest and could be surprise.
  • Wicked Part 2 - I said my piece on reception to Wicked 1 will determine this one’s performance as most of the good stuff in the musical happens in the first act.
  • Did not include Fast Eleven and Blade because I think those movies are 2026.
Edited by YM!

Posted (edited)

Elio would be fine competition wise if it just moved back a week I think, or even two and essentially have WALL-E's date. Being the newest family choice for a month matters more than any competition that comes before it. I definitely think the dragon remake is at least as much a question mark when it comes to quality.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Elio would be fine competition wise if it just moved back a week I think. Being the newest family choice for a month matters more than any competition that comes before it. I definitely think the dragon remake is at least as much a question mark when it comes to quality.

I’m a bit iffy on a week back only because it puts it a bit close to Jurassic to my likings but yeah. Think Disney needs to learn to be okay with blinking slightly with this one. If Beyond manages to be ready and take 6/27, I’d honestly do pre-Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by YM!

3 hours ago, YM! said:

Going to also guess what rounds up the potential scale of what could make the top ten:

• Captain America: Brave New World - Feels like a number between Cap1 (~175m) and Shang-Chi (~225m) is right for it providing solid reception. Think the angle of Hulk shenanigans is an interesting sell but whilst Falcon doesn’t get same level of fandom vitriol from bigots (I mean it’ll still be there but probably more subdued) like when a girl enters the MCU, I don’t think he’s a kickstarter. There’s another potential issue but I want to wait a few months when the trailer drops to see if it pans out.
  • Coogler’s new movie. Feels more like a Creed at the box office than a Black Panther but I think it could really surprise us.
  • Snow White - The Snow White IP though belonging to a big name doesn’t feel much like a kickstarter and feels like it’ll end up on lower Disney remakes but I think mid 100s can happen due to lack of female appealing films Q1.
  • Thunderbolts* - Personally feels like the weakest of the Marvel projects this year but has a pretty decent thirst for action films during the lead up. Feeling mid 100s again for it, but if The Bear crew manages to make something great - I’ll go a bit higher.
  • Elio - Though I think IO2 will be a hit and Pixar has the least hurdles of all the Disney brands, I hate the spot for it as it’ll face competition it’s not ready to handle especially as sci-fi animation but can work as there’s lack of family films this summer until Bad Guys 2.
  • Kendrick Musical - I think the pitch on paper sounds funny and Kendrick is a huge star, think it could be a potential sweeper given the dearth of comedies (Naked Gun remake too but I feel a bit more optimistic on Kendrick)
  • The Bad Guys 2 - Though I don’t think it’ll break records with Universal’s strong marketing department and a beloved first, I could see a decent sized jump for this one.
  • FNAF2 - Dislike the first one with a passion, it worked with its target audience as video game movies are the new live action remakes, copy the source fill with references watch box office explode. 
  • The Bride - Think the concept itself feels of interest and could be surprise.
  • Wicked Part 2 - I said my piece on reception to Wicked 1 will determine this one’s performance as most of the good stuff in the musical happens in the first act.
  • Did not include Fast Eleven and Blade because I think those movies are 2026.

I think the Kendrick/Parker & Stone project is going to have a lot more people noticing it due to a certain feud that's ongoing 

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Trey and Matt  got in on taking shots at a certain Canadian. 

Posted (edited)

I'm wary of predicting too high for Parker/Stone, the South Park movie only did $52 mil (would still adjust to just barely over $100mil) at the height of the series' mainstream popularity 

Edited by AniNate

Jan-july

Paddington 3 - 40-60M

Mickey 17- budget on this was big and big release date jump was weird so don't know to feel about this  -50-175M

Dogman -75M

Wolfman -45-70M

BNW .80M+ 4 day weekend. 175M final.

Smurfs -110-125M

Snowhite - Cinderella numbers

Coogler movie -125M

Minecraft 115M/405M

Micheal. 95M/415M

TB -50M/140M

*Lilo and stitch* 60-70M 4 day/175-250M

MI8 75M+ 4 day /215M

Elio 45M/155M