YM!

2025 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

17 hours ago, Flip said:

Also, if both Michael and Passion of the Christ stick to April 18th, we might have two movies doing over 100m on the same weekend for the first time ever

This is like Barbenheimer for the worst kinds of people.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, YM! said:

I’m a bit iffy on a week back only because it puts it a bit close to Jurassic to my likings but yeah. Think Disney needs to learn to be okay with blinking slightly with this one. If Beyond manages to be ready and take 6/27, I’d honestly do pre-Memorial Day weekend.

Pre-Memorial Day weekend is not really a great time historically to release a movie...

Anyways, Elemental shows that Disney does not blink, and I don't think they'll blink for Elio either.

Hell, in general, this year looks like the one that will cause World War 3 on BOT. A Michael Jackson biopic, Passion of the Christ 2, Snow White with a non-white lead, three Marvel movies that all have bomb potential, a Superman movie trying to start a new shared universe. Like, there's going to be so much drama next year. It's gonna suck!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Pre-Memorial Day weekend is not really a great time historically to release a movie...

Anyways, Elemental shows that Disney does not blink, and I don't think they'll blink for Elio either.

The thought occurred to me that WALL-E's release date falls on a Friday again next year, wouldn't be a bad idea to put their next original sci-fi effort there way things look right now

Posted (edited)

People are really bullish on Michael. Do we really think it will be THAT big? 

And I have a feeling Passions 2 will blow over even the most outage prognostications. Imo it goes over 1B.

Avatar will likely fall again but I can see it around 1.8B

I also feel 2025 will be a death blow to superhero movies. I see none of them making over 500 WW and most flopping/bombing.

Minecraft will be the new Mario so over 1B.

Zootopia 2 will drop significantly from the first one but it will still do 700m imo.

The new Jurassic imo goes under the recent trilogy. Probably around 800m.

Edited by James
  • ...wtf 1

My very early 2025 box office predictions:

1.     Avatar 3: $148m / $590m / $1.950m

2.     Zootopia 2: $98m / $475m / $1.120m

3.     Michael: $84m / $325m / $930m

4.     Jurassic World 4: $110m / $348m / $855m

5.     The Fantastic Four: $115m / $340m / $810m

6.     How to Train Your Dragon: $77m / $230m / $760m

7.     Mission Impossible 8: $65m / $220m / $740m

8.     Minecraft: $100m / $275m / $725m

9.     Superman: Legacy: $108m / $310m / $680m

10.  Thunderbolts*: $85m / $225m / $540m

11.  Wicked: Part 2: $48m / $190m / $445m

12.  Captain America: Brave New World: $75m / $175m / $400m

13.  Blade: $60m / $150m / $370m

14.  Elio: $42m / $161m / $365m

15.  Snow White: $55m / $145m / $330m

16.  The Bad Guys 2: $40m / $135m / $280m

17.  Tron: Ares: $38m / $100m / $257m

18.  Karate Kid: $30m / $85m / $245m

19.  The Smurfs Movie: $31m / $104m / $210m

20.  Ballerina: $28m / $75m / $202m

21.  Wolf Man: $26m / $70m / $175m

22.  The Black Phone 2: $24m / $67m / $160m

23.  M3GAN 2.0: $22m / $63m / $151m

24.  Mickey 17: $19m / $54m / $125m

25.  Saw XI: $22m / $48m / $105m

Those are only the movies that I knew by looking at the release schedule. There are other movies that will definitely make big money (Ryan Coogler Untitled Movie, Untitled Disney Live Action Movie during Memorial Day weekend…) but I’ve no idea what they’ll be about.

And…just in case they are released in 2025 (of course their release would most likely affect other movies releasing around the same time):

1.     Shrek 5: $200m / $655m / $1.540m

2.     Spider-Verse: Beyond the Spider-Verse: $145m / $400m / $855m

3.     Passion of the Christ 2: $110m / $290m / $740m

Don't get why people have Smurfs over 100m even with Rhianna, they haven't been relevant in a minute.

Well neither has Garfield but here we are now expecting a breakout. 

I think Rihanna producing could potentially give it something more of a unique hook, right now it also has a month+ free of kids competition after release.

5 hours ago, James said:

People are really bullish on Michael. Do we really think it will be THAT big? 

It's arguably the biggest wild card of 2025 (and also has the title for Most Controversial/Insufferable Movie of 2025 probably on lock). To say Jackson, even with all the controversies that somehow continue to plague him 15 years after his death, remains one of the biggest artists ever would be a massive understatement.

On paper, a biopic about him should be Bohemian Rhapsody levels of massive, but since it might be foolish to bet on an estate-controlled biopic that's looking to tackle everything including the allegations (!) turning out to be an actually good movie, it could end up going either way. A lot of people might be interested regardless though: the man's life was so strange that the potential trainwreck value of this (heck, Jimmy Kimmel even made a joke about this movie at the Oscars when referring to Colman Domingo's casting as Michael's father) might actually be an excellent selling point to a lot of people.

• Like 1

Weekends that are mostly or completely open right now based on mojo and hsx's calendars:

Jan 10 - Nothing huge in December 2024 so could easily support some releases here and the 24th. There are 5 releases Jan 17th, maybe one or two of those movie to either side.

Jan 24 - See above

Feb 21 - Post Capa4, small Zachary Levi movie currently here, wouldn't be surprised if nothing else shows up.

Feb 28 - 2 weeks post Capa4 gotta be something but no sense what would fit here.

Mar 28 - Snow White the wkend before means probably not a family movie here, not sure what would work but the middle of spring break period should have something despite competition, action/adventure maybe?

Apr 25 - Some low budget dumps here

May 9 - Thunderbolts I doubt will be huge so could easily fit something here like this year with IF coming after Apes4

Aug 22 - Not a great date, one or two throwaway action movies probably, Dirty Dancing the next wkend could be sizeable

Sept 5 - Great date, lots of successful movies have opened on this wkend. Will surely get something substantial either on the 5th or 12th.

Sept 12 - See above.

Oct 24 - Probably a horror movie or two.

Oct 31 - Maybe some horror movies get a one day or one weekend re-release? Doesn't seem ideal for a full new horror release since it's one day and then your movie is playing in November which changes the vibe. 

Nov 14 - Caught in between Blade and the thanksgiving releases. Maybe a mid-tier animated movie? 

Dec 5 - Not a very good date, throwaway horror movie probably.

Dec 12 - Good date even with avatar coming, Jumanji 2 did over 300 dom on this date with Ep9 the week after.

Dec 25 - After Avatar opens no blockbuster will want this date, but surely some award season movies that haven't even started filming yet will take it.

I wouldn't be so sure that nothing else big opens on Christmas. It's very hospitable for multiple big budget movies, and indeed when the original avatar opened Sherlock and Alvin opened the weekend after. 

It's been a slot that's worked for the universal animation arms the last few years so i can see them putting something there, maybe that original Pharrell musical illumination has in the works. I can also see the live action Pharrell musical with Michel gondry going there

Edited by AniNate

Also in 2025 there will be:

-A complete unknown (Bob Dylan Biopic with Chalamet), currently filming

-Formula One movie with Brad pitt (Apple film with theatrical release), currently filming

-Now you see me 3 (the first $351m WW, the second $334m WW), filming will begin in july

-scream 7

Edited by elinio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, elinio said:

Also in 2025 there will be:

-A complete unknown (Bob Dylan Biopic with Chalamet), currently filming

-Formula One movie with Brad pitt (Apple film with theatrical release), currently filming

-Now you see me 3 (the first $351m WW, the second $334m WW), filming will begin in july

-scream 7

Also:

- Final Destination

- Mortal Kombat

- The Conjuring 4 

- New "Scary Movie"

• Like 1