AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | New attraction announced at DCA

Our biggest theater has a lot of advertising...I couldn't get a lot of pictures (because the theater was closed and I peeked in the doors and my camera is crap) but it's impressive.

I'll upload the one photo I got later. 

Bq4blx9.jpg

Edited by Morieris
Ooh a picture.
  • Like 6

I don't know if anyone said this before, but in Mexico is being released on October 27, five days prior Día de los Muertos and six days prior... Thor: Ragnarok.

With the first showing happening on October 20 at Morelia Film Festival i guess some reviews will show up earlier

Edited by Carlangonz

Would be really nice for this to breakout big considering the piss poor year for animation at the box office. It's the last hope. Though I highly doubt it, since I just don't think the premise has a wide enough appeal even with the Pixar name attached. I think it's definitely going to have to be a WOM movie if it's going to go much above 200. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Would be really nice for this to breakout big considering the piss poor year for animation at the box office. It's the last hope. Though I highly doubt it, since I just don't think the premise has a wide enough appeal even with the Pixar name attached. I think it's definitely going to have to be a WOM movie if it's going to go much above 200. 

On the other hand, it'll have been nearly four months since the last animated movie to make over $80M total so there will definitely be a market thirsting for an animated movie (especially one opening on Thanksgiving weekend from Disney). I wouldn't be surprised if its run mirrors Moana's last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it'll have been nearly four months since the last animated movie to make over $80M total so there will definitely be a market thirsting for an animated movie (especially one opening on Thanksgiving weekend from Disney). I wouldn't be surprised if its run mirrors Moana's last year.

The thing is the concept and everything about it seems like it would inherently have a very niche appeal, especially regarding the family demo. Look at the Book of Life after all, and they marketed the heck out of that movie. Of course Pixar gives it an automatic broader appeal than it would otherwise have, but I still don't know if I can see much more than 60m for opening, which basically puts 250 as the ceiling if it got spectacular WOM. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It helps the other big animated films, The Star and Ferdinand released around November and December look nowhere near as appealing as Sing did. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It helps the other big animated films, The Star and Ferdinand released around November and December look nowhere near as appealing as Sing did. 

Jumanji can still be a dark horse though.

Shame about Ferdinand. The marketing for it was awful. It went from cute but heartwarming animated movie from the teaser to generic animal comedy from the recent trailer.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Jumanji can still be a dark horse though.

Shame about Ferdinand. The marketing for it was awful. It went from cute but heartwarming animated movie from the teaser to generic animal comedy from the recent trailer.

Coco and Jumanji can co-exist pretty easily. 

• Like 1

In the meantime, has anyone seen the pre-show segment currently running at the movies (or during Noovie, as it's now called, due to a deal with Disney starting with this movie) where the dog that was used as the model for the one in the movie taking a "tour" of Pixar Studios? Too much cuteness.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

It would have been the same for The Good Dinosaur in 2015 if not for Hotel Transylvania 2 and The Peanuts Movie (170M and 130M respectively, which while bigger than this year's fall animated fare, were not really BO tour de forces that sucked out the demand for animation throughout the rest of the year). TGD was also sandwiched between two blockbusters (Spectre and Mockingjay 2) and a Star Wars episode. 

This year we have Ragnarok and JL which are sure to be bigger than Spectre and MJ2 and December 2017 is more crowded than December 2015 even outside of the Episode. I think this will do more than TGD especially if the reviews are stronger, but Moana numbers seems very doubtful (and that's not even considering the fact that Moana had far more built in interest being the first WDAS princess musical post Frozen).

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3