Flopped

THE SUBSTANCE | Coralie Fargeat body horror with Demi Moore

MUBI hasn't really had any hits yet (although Decision to Leave over-performed slightly for a Korean thriller in 2022 that was never in more than 200 theaters), but they seem to be going all-out for this - judging from the theaters in my area getting this, it's going to be in at least 600-1000 nationwide? They even have Wednesday previews at most of the theaters, although even those shows don't have a lot of seats sold, if any. But I guess I could see it perform similarly to the IFC/Shudder releases this year, with a $1,500-2,000 PTA. I will be very curious to see how WOM is, because it seems very divisive but also like a conversation starter.

12 hours ago, Eric Deetz said:

Got the trailer in front of Strange Darling and I am so seated...assuming this comes to my local theaters of course.

Oh snap, this is coming to my theater after all. Alrighty. Can't wait to be the only one in the theater who actually likes it.

1 hour ago, Eric Deetz said:

Oh snap, this is coming to my theater after all. Alrighty. Can't wait to be the only one in the theater who actually likes it.

The interesting thing is that people say the movie (despite being 2.5 hours) is very fun and fast paced. "A very bloody, messed up Death Becomes Her." 

2 hours ago, Eric Deetz said:

My theater erupted in applause and laughter quite often. Hope you enjoy it - it's a wild ride.

• Like 2

This is BODY HORROR in all caps. What an insane 2.5-hour extravaganza. It's everything from Tales from the Crypt to Death Becomes Her, The Fly, Showgirls, Society, Drag Me to Hell, a Jane Fonda workout video and even Mars Attacks. It's beyond intense and gory, but surprisingly goofy and funny too. It's not weird in the way that Titane or a Lynch movie is. The story here is very clear and straightforward. There are shocking twists but it doesn't lose you in terms of what's happening. It's not abstract and ambiguous. On the contrary, it's very in your face and on the nose (and it knows it). Full of bright, saturated colors, a thumping electronic score and uncomfortable close-ups, there's always something interesting to look at. Demi Moore goes to places that would make Nicole Kidman blush. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

This is BODY HORROR in all caps. What an insane 2.5-hour extravaganza. It's everything from Tales from the Crypt to Death Becomes Her, The Fly, Showgirls, Society, Drag Me to Hell, a Jane Fonda workout video and even Mars Attacks. It's beyond intense and gory, but surprisingly goofy and funny too. It's not weird in the way that Titane or a Lynch movie is. The story here is very clear and straightforward. There are shocking twists but it doesn't lose you in terms of what's happening. It's not abstract and ambiguous. On the contrary, it's very in your face and on the nose (and it knows it). Full of bright, saturated colors, a thumping electronic score and uncomfortable close-ups, there's always something interesting to look at. Demi Moore goes to places that would make Nicole Kidman blush. 

Sounds excellent. 

I adored Titane though, someone fainted during the London film festival screening I was at and it just added to the experience. But I get the vibe that this is more mainstream. Revenge was one of my favourites of its year, got to see that in cinemas too. 

Edited by Krissykins