kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

4.5 stars on Posttrak for Furiosa. 

Shame that both of these will only be in the 30s range for a 4 day holiday weekend. 

I remember a lot of posts last year about how Garfield could be huge. 

5 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa is this year's Flash for WB. Genuinely believe Twitter and 'Film Twitter' is one of the worst things that happened to studios' decision-making in last 10-12 years.

I love how "Film Twitter" has become this weird, vague nothingness people love to randomly blame a problem over. You can stub your toe, get divorced by your wife, lose your job, and just use that pesky Film Twitter as a scapegoat.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Film Twitter is dead anyway because Twitter is dead. It doesn't have the cultural influence it once did. The only thing that's left over from Film Twitter is that a lot of the younger critics spawned from there.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Seems like you're the miserable one. We've always opened threads on early numbers. And we all know numbers change. That's literally the history of box office. 

I believe THE GARFIELD MOVIE's number does not include early shows, right?

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Sometime you are feeling hopeful for the market after a meh reviewed movie like GB:FE and Gxk still managed to open big but on the other hand plenty of great received movie turns out not resonating with the crowd. 

One key observation in the post-Covid world is people are getting polarised even for movie taste. That is why some movie no matter how hard they tried, they simply can't spread their goodwill beyond their target demo, resulting some ridiculous gender, age or ethnicity split. People refuse to give some chance to the people they aren't comfortable watching no matter how much great thing they heard about them. 

For Furiosa and Garfield, I can't blame studio didn't try. They tried their best to market. Furiosa even got favourable review on their side but many just went tone-deaf.

Well, usually it was teens to mid 20s people who would be the main audience but this year every big movie has 60%+ audience over 25. So there's definitely some disconnection on many levels now.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Don't know! I'm sure we'll find out before the end of the day. 

We'll also get a gauge on if the early shows mean anything for the weekend, or if people were just waiting for the weekend!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa is this year's Flash for WB. Genuinely believe Twitter and 'Film Twitter' is one of the worst things that happened to studios' decision-making in last 10-12 years.

I mean this is in the nicest way possible but the fuck are you yapping about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The bubble this was hyped in was not the same as the one Flash was

It doesn't have to be the same but it's the same example - very expensive movie which only attracted 25+ male audience active on social media where it created this illusion of interest in the movie.

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Considering many films haven't been able to match it's OW, I think it did.

Nah, it really didn't. Didn't expand much from Afterlife, sucky INT total, still under 50 mil. It's only "impressive" in a total vacuum.

1 minute ago, Alexander said:

It doesn't have to be the same but it's the same example - very expensive movie which only attracted 25+ male audience active on social media where it created this illusion of interest in the movie.

People were interested in Furiosa because Mad Max: Fury Road was a good movie and Furiosa was probably going to be a good movie and that's why they should make movies.

IMO.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Film Twitter is dead anyway because Twitter is dead. It doesn't have the cultural influence it once did. The only thing that's left over from Film Twitter is that a lot of the younger critics spawned from there.

True but Furiosa was greenlit in 2020/21 when Twitter was still huge.

5 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

I love how "Film Twitter" has become this weird, vague nothingness people love to randomly blame a problem over. You can stub your toe, get divorced by your wife, lose your job, and just use that pesky Film Twitter as a scapegoat.

There’s also a weird seperate between CBM Twitter, Film Twitter or some other franchise Twitter when they are all literally Film Twitter. And even then Film Twitter and all various components aren’t indicative of the GA. The morning on Reddit, one dude was rooting for Furiosa to fail to spite Film Twitter.

4 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Well, usually it was teens to mid 20s people who would be the main audience but this year every big movie has 60%+ audience over 25. So there's definitely some disconnection on many levels now.

And female audience. Female demo continue to underperform in the exit poll. I saw many movies with crazy 60%++ male audience turn out. Female audience is a key component in moviegoing habit, they are like kids, when they want to see a movie, they tend to pull another uninterested guy to the cinema like how kids drag their parent to a movie that the parent would otherwise, never had the intention to watch it.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

People were interested in Furiosa because Mad Max: Fury Road was a good movie and Furiosa was probably going to be a good movie and that's why they should make movies.

IMO.

Furiosa, Fall Guy... Most of these are clearly 'good' but there never was any chance these would connect with general audience. But kbviously it's not money so...

Just now, Alexander said:

True but Furiosa was greenlit in 2020/21 when Twitter was still huge.

I would say 2021 was when Twitter started dying.

My theory has always been, and I'm gonna get political here, Twitter didn't really matter until Trump ran for president. Trump loved Twitter so then that gave the platform an outsized influence of culture despite not many people actually using it. Once Trump was banned and then subsequently lost the 2020 election, Twitter started going downhill with the final nail of the coffin being Musk's purchase of the website.

Here's hoping the critics who came from film twitter and letterboxd don't last though.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

It doesn’t include EA it seems.

• Like 1

Fury Road was liked by audiences but not loved ( I think it got a B+ Cinemascore) and definitely not liked enough to make a prequel 9 years later without the original leads. Also ATJ and Hemsworth are famous but not draws in the slightest