Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

EXPERIENCE

giphy.webp

ALL

giphy.webp

THE

giphy.webp

FEELS

c8dc8922224a6f3bc151abbca8c33424c7dd3a0c

Β 

It has been a good while since we’ve had a big weekend like this. The whys are for a number of reasons we have all agonized over for months now. But leave it to good ol’ Michael Rat and those masterful wizards at Pixar to bring people back to the multiplex once again with a nostalgic favorite that’s a literal emotional roller coaster.
Β 

Inside Out was a phenomenon 9 years ago (God, I feel so old right now). It took the classic 90s sitcom Herman’s Head, and decided to create an existential and moving story about growing up, dealing with heavy changes in life, and how feeling sadness is valid and healthy. As much as any other emotion in fact. It was an instant box office success despite the record-breaking popularity of Jurassic World the week prior, was praised as one of, if not Pixar’s best movie ever, and has even been used by psychologists to help patients understand what they are going through.

Β 

The basic concept and creative world found in Riley’s mind meant a sequel was a no-brainer, pun very much intended. And yeah, we finally have one nearly a decade later, with a new generation of kids experiencing their own equivalent to Toy Story 3 or Finding Dory. A nostalgic return to an old favorite. But it’s not just nostalgia that’s getting people hyped. The trailers promise tons of new and wacky emotions, great jokes, and a heartfelt look at puberty and growing up and dealing with turbulent and even more complicated emotions.

Β 

Disney Adults and general audiences are going crazy over this, with the movie expected to give us our first 100M+ opening weekend since Barbie a year prior, at least according to the wonderful and amazing tracking team. Some even say it’ll make a billion dollars. Can it reach such amazing heights? Is the public ready to cry at Pixar once again? Or will the summer doldrums continue? Only time will tell, but let’s just try and have some fun in the meantime.

Β 

But if you want to have fun, you gotta follow the rules. You know what time it is...

Β 

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. THIS INCLUDES SPOILERS UNDER A SPOILER TAG. This also applies to every other movie currently in theaters and every new movie/show recently released on streaming. So no Bad Boys: Ride or Die spoilers, no Garfield spoilers, no The Acolyte spoilers, no The Boys spoilers, etc.

Β 

2. GOOD VIBES!Β Big weekends like these are supposed to be fun. So don’t be a party pooper and ruin things for everybody. You don't have to fight others who have opinions different than yours, you don't have to make fun of somebody for not knowing the nuances of box office IMs. It's all just silly fun, so don't make it something it's not.

Β 

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

Β 

And lastly...

Β 

4. DON'T BE A DICK

Β 

We good? We good. Now...

Β 

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

giphy.webp

fear-inside-out-faint-o50h10tfabafxkno.g

LET'S DO THIS SHIT

giphy.webp

• Like 4

I'm gonna be way off on this I'm sure but there is a part of me that still wants to mentally prepare for all the presales being way overestimated and it still opens to that $85 mil it was tracking at a month ago

With an average 50% holdover drop, IO2 needs a $111.4 million opening to get over the 2023 weekend comp. I'll be happy if it just gets there.

Β 

Maybe Treasure and Tuesday make that bar slightly lower but I'm not holding my breath

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

Inside Out 2 Enjoys Strong Early International Box Office Bows (deadline.com)

Β 

Β 

Disney/Pixar’sΒ Inside Out 2Β had its first full day of play at theΒ international box officeΒ on Wednesday with No. 1 starts in each of its eight material markets, including strong debuts in majors Korea and Germany as well as the Philippines. The total through day one overseas is $4.9M. Majors joining through Friday include Australia, Mexico and the UK.

On Wednesday, the Kelsey Mann-directed sequel grossed $1.5M in theΒ PhilippinesΒ for the 3rd biggest opening day of all time, only behindΒ Avengers: EndgameΒ andΒ Avengers: Infinity War. The start, falling on Independence Day in the market, was 7x higher than the originalΒ Inside OutΒ and over 22x aboveΒ Kung Fu Panda 4.

Β 
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 2

4.9M on Day 1

Β 

1.5M | PHILIPPINES [opened on Independence Day]

Β 

- 3rd biggest opening day of all time, only behindΒ AVENGERS: ENDGAME and AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

- 7Γ— INSIDE OUT

- 22Γ— KUNG FU PANDA IV

Β 

1.4M | SOUTH KOREA [2.35M through Thursday]

Β 

- scored the biggest opening day ever for a Pixar title

- 267% above the launch of the first INSIDE OUT

- 144% ahead ofΒ THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

- 33% over MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU

- social and audience scores: Naver: 9.20/CGV: 97% [higher thanΒ INSIDE OUT,Β KUNG FU PANDA IV andΒ RISE OF GRU; CGV score is just one percentage point behind that ofΒ ELEMENTAL]

Β 

1.0M | GERMANY

Β 

- 3rd biggest start ever for Pixar

- 95% higher than 2015’sΒ INSIDE OUT

- Audience scores on Moviepilot: ahead of comps at 8.0 [INSIDE OUT: 7.8,Β ELEMENTAL: 6.8,Β KUNG FU PANDA IV: 6.1,Β RISE OF GRU: 6.1]

Β 

ELSEWHERE

Β 

414K | ISRAEL | biggest Pixar opening day ever

244K | POLAND |Β 215% ahead of INSIDE OUT

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But I was told tickets were too expensive, families going to a movie theater will bankrupt them??

People are more selective now, an Inside Out sequel is a safe bet for getting your money’s worth. Same with Despicable Me 4 next month.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

People are more selective now, an Inside Out sequel is a safe bet for getting your money’s worth. Same with Despicable Me 4 next month.

Β 

And Disney offered their 1st ever OW ticket deal for a Pixar movie...so, even Disney must think there's some truth to this...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Widest since INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY [4600] last June.

17th widest opening of all time similar as Frozen 2. 10th widest for Disney . 6th widest post COVID era

• Like 1