cannastop

Weekday Thread June 24-27. Inside Out 2 $11.2m, Bad Boys $1.6m Thursday

So IO2 is already in the Top 50 DOM all time. Will be Top 40 after Today and in the Top 25 after Sunday.

Top 20 by probably day after July 4th.

Little further behind WW - Top 100 right now but its going to pass alot of movies the next few days, probably Top 50 by the end of the weekend WW.

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The holds for this movie are just absolutely impressive. 

If it keeps having these minimal drops, it might not just reach $175M domestically and $400M worldwide, but it could surpass the final domestic total for Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($176.76M)

If that happens, I see no reason as to why Disney/20th Century wouldn't want to make another Planet of the Apes movie. Even if about $400M worldwide on a $160M-$165M budget doesn't seem that impressive, there's always that chance that they get a Dawn of the Planet of the Apes-level bump for the sequel. Most people seem to enjoy Kingdom, so most of that audience if not more should show up for a sequel. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

The holds for this movie are just absolutely impressive. 

If it keeps having these minimal drops, it might not just reach $175M domestically and $400M worldwide, but it could surpass the final domestic total for Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($176.76M)

If that happens, I see no reason as to why Disney/20th Century wouldn't want to make another Planet of the Apes movie. Even if about $400M worldwide on a $160M-$165M budget doesn't seem that impressive, there's always that chance that they get a Dawn of the Planet of the Apes-level bump for the sequel. Most people seem to enjoy Kingdom, so most of that audience if not more should show up for a sequel. 

I agree. This first movie is all about building the foundation. DAWN had to walk so that whatever the sequel is called can run. And if Disney listens to what some people thought were missing from this movie and incorporate it more in the sequel, the next one will do really well. I wonder what the next title will be. 

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Toy Story 4 made 8m coming off a 59.7 weekend. July 1 shouldn't be much different from any other Monday.

I agree. But I notice that the Sunday before July 4th often has softer drops. If you want to look for a day with an anomalous gross it might be this coming Sunday, not Monday.

1 hour ago, Cheddar Please said:

what are the chances IO2 stays above 10m next Monday, given the July 4th bump?

I would say near zero. My earlier prognostication of 19 days above $10m was predicated on this week having much better holds than it turned out having. Not to say that this week's grosses weren't good, but they're not superhuman like the first week.