kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I know some will roll their eyes, but is there not a real possibility that a significant audience who want to see Bikeriders know it’ll be on PVOD in a week?  

No. Maybe a small portion. Very small. People waiting for this on VOD don't know how long it will take and never cared enough to go see it at the movies so when it comes to PVOD, that's when they see it. No matter how long.

Edited by justnumbers

People are exaggerating the crisis state of adult mid-budget projects. If the Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler one is a bust next March, then people can agonize over the state of adult cinema. Everything else in the interim appears totally unappealing to general audiences to be honest. I  am already imagining the think pieces when that Robert Pattinson and Bong Joon Ho project does not perform in January, even though everything points to it being alienating. The problem is that they are making projects for Letterboxd, not for general audiences. They pay no attention to commercial sensibilities anymore when Spielberg, Zemeckis etcetera all made careers on that. No one wants to see ponderous “art” films in theaters             

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

Not counting 2020 for obvious reasons, the streak of at least one billion dollar movie per year continues (since 2014), and it won't end in the near future. 

PS: Somewhere in Disney: 

Happy New Year GIF

75% chance

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE

JOKER II

MOANA II

50%

DESPICABLE ME IV

100%

ZOOTOPIA II

75%

MICHAEL

JURASSIC WORLD IV

100%

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE II

AVENGERS: THE KANG DYNASTY

FROZEN III

DUNE III?

75%

TOY STORY V

THE BATMAN II

Edited by kayumanggi

47 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm thrilled that A Quiet Place: Day One ended up passing $50M - and it's always nice seeing a weekend with two $50M+ grossers. This weekend adds another to the list:

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

80M+

July 21-23, 2023 (both openers)

• Barbie — 162.0M
  • Oppenheimer — 82.5M

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2015

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 145.1M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 51.9M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 9-11, 2023

• Transformers: Rise of the Beasts — 61M
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — 55.5M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 17-19, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 59.2M
  • Lightyear — 50.6M

June 28-30, 2024

• Inside Out 2 — 57.4M
  • A Quiet Place: Day One — 53.0M

June 26-28, 2015 (both holdovers)

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017 (both holdovers)

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Peace,

Mike

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Not counting 2020 for obvious reasons, the streak of at least one billion dollar movie per year continues (since 2014), and it won't end in the near future. 

PS: Somewhere in Disney: 

Happy New Year GIF

2014? The streak’s been going on since 2008/2009.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I definitely wouldn't say the fate of them rests on Jeff Nichols or a weakly-reviewed Kevin Costner vanity project

I honestly want to say this to some of these people who are probably gonna post some "doom and gloom" stuff when something original or non-IP like Horizon fails to break out.

Do you expect general audiences to show up to a 3-hour western drama that isn't even one complete story and hasn't been getting good reviews from critics. I'm sorry but I think we're at the point where these kinds of people will freak out when something that's disliked amongst audiences and critics doesn't do well. Even though the answer as to why is perfectly reasonable and isn't a sign that a certain type of movie is theatrically bankrupt.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

75% chance

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE

JOKER II

MOANA II

50%

DESPICABLE ME IV

100%

ZOOTOPIA II

75%

MICHAEL

JURASSIC WORLD IV

100%

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE II

AVENGERS: THE KANG DYNASTY

DUNE III?

75%

TOY STORY V

THE BATMAN II

I don't think DUNE III is 100% likely for it. Frozen 3 is missing there. Overall I agree 

Inside Out 2 is at 17 days with $10M+ and could potentially end up with 21 days, depending on if it manages 10M+ this coming Tuesday and over the next weekend (FSS) in the face of Despicable Me 4. 

If it does, it would be the most number of days above 10M outside of December openers. Do we think it’s going to make it? The question mark for me is how it will be impacted by DM4.

Days Over 10M

The Force Awakens — 21 

Barbie — 20

Top Gun: Maverick — 20 

Spider-Man: No Way Home — 18 

Black Panther — 18 

Inside Out 2 — 17^

Avengers: Endgame — 16 

Jurassic World — 16 

Mario — 16 

Avengers: Infinity War — 15 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Dunno if anyone else picked up this but probably gonna be the one time ever the #1 theater for a movie will be in St. George, Utah

Horizon played well in nontraditional markets. Pic’s top ten cinemas were the Larry Miller Pineview Stadium in St. George, Utah, 2. Santikos Palladium in San Antonio, 3. Harkins in Scottsdale, AZ, 4. Harkins Estrella Falls in Phoenix, 5. Regal Warren Moore in Oklahoma, 6. Harkins Camelview Fashion Square in Phoenix, 7. AMC Thoroughbred in Nashville, TN 8. Larry Miller Sunset Stadium in St. George, Utah, 9. Schulman Film Alley Weatherford, TX, and 10. Reading California Oaks in Murrieta, CA.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

I don't think DUNE III is 100% likely for it. Frozen 3 is missing there. Overall I agree 

Sorry, I used BOM's calendar and didn't notice FROZEN III was missing. I included DUNE III because if it's indeed that December 2026 release that WB dated recently, the holidays will tremendously help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I honestly want to say this to some of these people who are probably gonna post some "doom and gloom" stuff when something original or non-IP like Horizon fails to break out.

Do you expect general audiences to show up to a 3-hour western drama that isn't even one complete story and hasn't been getting good reviews from critics. I'm sorry but I think we're at the point where these kinds of people will freak out when something that's disliked amongst audiences and critics doesn't do well. Even though the answer as to why is perfectly reasonable and isn't a sign that a certain type of movie is theatrically bankrupt.

Well the original poster who started this conversation was only talking about the Bikeriders, not Horizon. Also TBH the constant complaining about the “doom and gloomers” wears thin around here too. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Good way of saying it. I was trying to say that and I was tripping over my words while typing so I will ditto this.