kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Estimates | 57.4M INSIDE OUT II | 53.0M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.0M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

Box Office: 'A Quiet Place: Day One' Eyes $5M-$6M Record Previews (deadline.com)

Paramount‘s prequel A Quiet Place: Day One is heading to a franchise record preview night between $5M-$6M, several sources inform us. Showtimes began at 3PM.

Tonight’s figure easily ranks ahead of the $4.3M made by the first movie in 2018, and the $4.8M made by Quiet Place: Part II on its Thursday heading into Memorial Day weekend 2021 when summer kicked off for recently reopened theaters. Those two movies were directed by John Krasinski, while the prequel is helmed and written by Pig director Michael Sarnoski. The prequel tells the story about how the ferocious aliens with the highly sensitive ears landed on Earth in NYC. Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o, Joseph Quinn, Alex Wolff and Djimon Hounsou star. Reviews are great at 86% certified fresh, though are the lowest of the franchise to date after chapter one (96%) and chapter 2 (91%). CinemaScore comes out tomorrow, but A Quiet Place earned a B+, while Part II landed an A-.

Just now, Kon said:

If A Quiet Place could make so much money, I guess the "prequels with a different cast couldn't be successful" theory didn't really works.

A Quiet Place: Day One is a much different case compared to Furiosa though. 

It wasn't starring a different actor or actress portraying the younger version of a character that was played by someone else. It mostly features new characters and unlike Furiosa in which the scale was about as large as Mad Max: Fury Road, Day One's size and scope is much larger compared to the previous Quiet Place movies. 

All of that, coupled with already strong walk-up business (Furiosa didn't have that) and a franchise that's way more popular amongst general audiences than Mad Max ever was (not to mention PG-13), this is why A Quiet Place: Day One will succeed where Furiosa failed. 

Prequels themselves aren't a failed idea, but you have to make sure you aren't only relying on the strength of an entire brand or in Furiosa's case, just the popularity/love of one movie to get people to see it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think it gets close to 60m. I am not convinced IO2 wins this weekend. Let us see the thursday hold. 

11m for IO2 according to Volde. Which translates to high 50s weekend even with similar multi as last week. I think its going to be close between the 2 movies. Let me see how Friday is looking for Day One. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

11m for IO2 according to Volde. Which translates to high 50s weekend even with similar multi as last week. I think its going to be close between the 2 movies. Let me see how Friday is looking for Day One. 

IO2 2nd week ended with $156 million.