kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

The box office winning streak just keeps on going. Like I said on Thursday, I can't believe how much this summer has recovered from the awful May we've had. Not everything is hitting it straight out of the park, but the films we counted on to be successful have not only been successful, but are pulling in amazing numbers. 

Inside Out 2 blew everything away, Bad Boys: Ride or Die and A Quiet Place: Day One nicely overperformed, Despicable Me 4 did exactly what it needed to do and then some, Longlegs gave the horror genre its first true original breakout hit, and now Twisters went beyond even the most optimistic of expectations to give us an opening just shy of Oppenheimer and Dune: Part Two. 

Also, I know this isn't that thread, but I'm going for broke on Deadpool and Wolverine next weekend. I say it does $200M and then some. I'm sorry but with how much everything has been overperforming lately and a lot of that is thanks to strong walk-ups, I'm expecting the same thing to happen to D&W. Despite it easily being the most pre-sale heavy out of all the summer films we've gotten so far, I got a feeling that we're gonna be in store for something that is not quite Spider-Man: No Way Home levels of jaw-dropping, but pretty close. 

Maybe I'll look crazy by next week, but all signs are just pointing to a number that will shock all of us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Little Mermaid was likely too expensive, so it's pretty unlikely it could make a profit (maybe with merchandise sales).

It just wasn't a terrible disaster as Wish or The Marvels.

I think the biggest issue for The Little Mermaid was the OS rejection. The other Disney live action fairy tale movies earned 60% at least OS, TLM was domestic heavy which makes it harder to launch a franchise nowadays.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

One the great 90s blockbuster trailers. Showing producers of Jurassic Park and director of Speed just hammers the this is an event home.

That's also a good point too. The Spielberg name probably also helped out its appeal OS a ton. His name sadly doesn't carry the same weight it used to, but I guess having one or two "Steven Spielberg Presents" in the ads for Twisters certainly wouldn't have hurt I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I just found out Joseph Kosinski is credited as a writer on Twisters. :mouthdropped:

I believe the story was mainly his idea, but he ended up directing F1. 

edit: as Eric and AniNate just said!

Edited by wildphantom
  • Thanks 1

Probably was better off tbh. Kosinski's clean style I think doesn't quite fit the gritty intensity that sells the twister(s) films. The 35mm look definitely made it stand out from the other tentpoles this year

• Like 3

I don’t think we can rule out some very nice legs for Twisters OS that will make up somewhat for its middling opening. 

I do think a staggered opening might have helped it though. 

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t think we can rule out some very nice legs for Twisters OS that will make up somewhat for its middling opening. 

I do think a staggered opening might have helped it though. 

It was released OS last week so it's already generated for  revenue for WB already. With the Euros and it being a male skewing movie, it was wise for them not to release it in the European markets until this week.

Edited by Jonwo

Speaking of Kosinski, i think that F1 will surprise a lot of people next year and do some good numbers. And that one has bigger potential overseas than Twisters

22 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

That's also a good point too. The Spielberg name probably also helped out its appeal OS a ton. His name sadly doesn't carry the same weight it used to, but I guess having one or two "Steven Spielberg Presents" in the ads for Twisters certainly wouldn't have hurt I suppose.

The 90s were a different time. Selling movies using other movies was a common thing in trailers before people realised that "From the studio that brought you X comes Y" means nothing. Star power also still meant something at the time, like Arnold Schwarzenegger pretty much guaranteed you 100M OS in what was then a much smaller OS market and a lot of home video sales - of Arnold's 11 movies in the 90s, only Jingle All the Way and Junior didn't hit 100M OS. This was across genres like Total Recall, Twins, T2, Eraser, Kindergarten Cop, Batman and Robin, End of Days.

If an actor could guarantee 200M OS now (adjusting that 100M for inflation and expanding markets) for their movies across genres, they would rightly be hailed as a new Superstar. 

38 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Maybe it was the push for yeehaw cowboy shit and country music in the trailers and ads? Like you look at the trailer for the original Twister, and it's no different from the advertising for something like Independence Day. I can't imagine Luke Combs being that big in non-English territories.

If Universal and WB ever decided to do a third Twister film, they probably need to set it somewhere like the UK or Australia where tornadoes do happen but not to the same degree as the midwest and rarer. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Speaking of Kosinski, i think that F1 will surprise a lot of people next year and do some good numbers. And that one has bigger potential overseas than Twisters

I doubt it. Motorsport movies have always been fairly niche. I don't think there's a big enough audience to get to $500M+ box office.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

If Universal and WB ever decided to do a third Twister film, they probably need to set it somewhere like the UK or Australia where tornadoes do happen but not to the same degree as the midwest and rarer. 

Hear this...

Twisters...in Paris. If the Rugrats can do it, why can't them?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Universal made it 3 years in a row of success on this weekend between Nope, Oppenheimer, and now Twisters.

The I Know What You Did Last Summer and Naked Gun revivals are debuting on this frame next year. Not as much potential though both could still do well as counterprogramming since that's the weekend between Superman and Fantastic Four.

It's weird with Barbenheimer, both WB and Uni ended up on the third week of July and they've done the same thing again but solely with Twisters.

2 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Hear this...

Twisters...in Paris. If the Rugrats can do it, why can't them?

Twistér has a nice ring to it, Merci Beaucoup. 

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

An international hook would help, maybe Hunt would be more amenable to coming back now as well