Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

My eyes always roll when Marvel is referred to as not real cinema. 

Isn’t the statement below precisely what defines the just announced comeback of RDJ 6 years after his allegedly definitive ending? 

Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures. What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes.  They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way.” 

I do think the “not cinema” phrase is maybe too hard because it can make people feel stupid for liking them, which is not the case, so i agreed with you in this sense. But his argument is so beyond this and so scarily realistic, telling more about the industry around these movies and how they’re made these days than the movies themselves … the whole letter is a very biting and poignant critical piece.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@kayumanggi actually I think it’s a little higher than minions 2 at the same point so probably a little higher it’s crazy how much money these movies make and it’s awesome that we can have two animated movies do very well when one of them is massive

I have it maybe at 340M [domestic] - 510M [overseas]. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher since there's really no family movies in weeks to come.

19 minutes ago, leoh said:

A+ Cinema Score, 83% positive reviews on Metacritic, 93% critics score on RT and 90% from RT Top Critics, this gives you a hint on how bad it is 😅

This bullshit again.

I think the fact that the word on it in the interviening years says a lot more about it than the initial reception.

It's fun as a first time viewing experience, but when you already know what the surprises are, and you're not part of a group viewing for the enthusiasm, most of its effectiveness melts away, just like the Deadpool movies. It's one of the least rewatchable MCU offerings. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Secret Wars was announced years ago... people were speculating Doomsday even back then. Other than taking focus away from Kang, it's not like things are insanely different. They'll do the same story but with a character they have the potential to nail right out of the gate.

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

A useful bellwether for how much a piece of casting news has penetrated the mainstream: it’s being reported on bbc front page:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckrgd7eek09o

This was such a great financial move by Disney. Excitement will likely spill over to the upcoming MCU films which were kinda dead on their feet prior 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn’t the statement below precisely what defines the just announced comeback of RDJ 6 years after his allegedly definitive ending? 

Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures. What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes.  They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way.” 

I do think the “not cinema” phrase is maybe too hard because it can make people feel stupid for liking them, which is not the case, so i agreed with you in this sense. But his argument is so beyond this and so scarily realistic, telling more about the industry around these movies and how they’re made these days than the movies themselves … the whole letter is a very biting and poignant critical piece.

I don't wanna sound like a jerk, but you do realize when Scorsese said these things, he hadn't seen most or really any of the MCU movies. People seem to overlook this, but this whole debate whether the MCU is "real cinema" or not came from someone who despite being one of the most acclaimed filmmakers on the planet, didn't watch all of the films he was talking about. 

I do have other issues with Scorsese's takes on Marvel, but I just find it absurd that he didn't even bother to watch the movies before he said something as bold as that. 

• Like 2

Moderation

We don't need to reheat this "Are Marvel movies cinema" stuff again. You guys know this won't end well, so why do it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Eric Wilson said:

Moderation

We don't need to reheat this "Are Marvel movies cinema" stuff again. You guys know this won't end well, so why do it?

Cause I feel like I could bring something new to the conversation, but you're right. It won't end well. 

I won't bring it up anymore. Apologies. This is not that thread.

Cinema doesn't always have to be a dramatic think piece.

Space Balls is cinema.

So is John Wick.

If cinema is collectivist storytelling that evokes emotion well a movie like Endgame has that in spades.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I don't wanna sound like a jerk, but you do realize when Scorsese said these things, he hadn't seen most or really any of the MCU movies. People seem to overlook this, but this whole debate whether the MCU is "real cinema" or not came from someone who despite being one of the most acclaimed filmmakers on the planet, didn't watch all of the films he was talking about. 

I do have other issues with Scorsese's takes on Marvel, but I just find it absurd that he didn't even bother to watch the movies before he said something as bold as that. 

I know he didn’t watch most of it, but i don’t think he really needed tbh because like i said, to me the letter reads way more being about the industry and current production process than the content of specific movies. He even said this can be said about pretty much every modern franchise, he just picked the longest one as example, so he’s not even isolating Marvel of the rest.

And again, i don’t agreed with the “it’s not real cinema” tagline. I can understand why it bothers you, even if i think it’s a very small mistake inside of a very long and precise argument about Hollywood system.

11 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

Moderation

I really should read the whole thread before replying earlier posts lol, just saw this, sorry. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

will this cross $800M since Uni already give it a digital date?

Likely +900M. Minions 2 was lower in the same point. 

These movies are VERY leggy foreign. 

• Like 1